Friday, October 25, 2024


I planted big red two years ago and he/she is living up to their name.  I love red leaves in the fall and we don't get a lot of them here, so I planted a sugar maple and we are both happy with the decision (me and the tree).

I worked three days last week and I was reminded how much I love my patients and how long an eight hour day on your feet is.  The last day, I only worked for six hours and that was much more doable.  More new patients, fewer old patients.  One of my young coworkers told me that she was having a hard time right now because a lot of her favorite patients were dying.  It seems to come in waves but I've learned not to become so attached to my patients.

I did find out this week though, that one of my favorite, old patients just died a couple of weeks ago.  He was literally the poster child for immunotherapy treatment of lung cancer and lived for 12 years with stage 4 lung cancer.  He was funny, rude, and irreverent, and only three years older than me.  I can't believe he's dead and it caught me off guard.

A new patient came in on Monday for a central line; he is a Titanic historian and collector, and has amassed quite the collection from the sounds of it.  He talked through the whole procedure (he's a talker, the kind that keeps talking as you back out of the room) but he's also so lovely and interesting, you don't back out of the room.  He told me he's terminal, and he is.  We both cried a little and I told him to enjoy everyday as much as possible.  I think he will.

There were lots of other patients.  A family doctor with pancreatic cancer.  An old politician with breast cancer. Young men with testicular cancer and one patient who learned how to say "fuck off" in Cantonese from one of my coworkers (that was a surprise and I have a new language that I can swear in now).  It's hard work and I love it.

Jack went to see his psychologist today.  He wanted to know why we were going there and I said, "Well, bad things have happened to you.  Bad things happen to everyone in life, but they happened to you when you were young.  The talking doctor just helps you learn to deal with that stuff."  Jack likes his psychologist, he's got lots of toys in his office.

We chatted about what was going on with Jack and the future.  When Jack had to run to the bathroom, the psychologist said, "Do you think he needs to be assessed for ADHD?"  Ya think?  

We told him that not only do we want Jack assessed, so does the school.  The psychologist's office will do the assessment for us, which is good, and for a lot less than other parents have told me it cost them.  Jack has also been added to my hubby's Blue Cross as of November 1st, as a dependent, so the cost should be completely covered and even if it isn't, it's less than we thought. Yay!


We went out to Elk Island National Park this afternoon for a walk.  It was cool and sunny.  A perfect October day.  Jack had a lot of fun, hunting for zombies (from Minecraft) and avoiding huge mounds of buffalo poop.  He also spent time making swords and digging for coal (also Minecraft).  He ate like a horse and fell asleep within seconds of his head hitting the pillow.  He's doing well.  His life is predictable and stable right now.  We have become his parents.


5 comments:

  1. Predictable and stable are exactly what he needs! Those are beautiful leaves; we have many ornamental maples here and they provide the oranges and reds that I love so much. 12 years with lung cancer is amazing. My late husband only got 2 but that was nearly 12 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love red leaves too. Glad to hear Jack's assessment shouldn't be financially troublesome, that's good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those leaves are gorgeous! Bless you for what you're doing for your patients and for Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot begin to imagine how tough it must be to take on a little 'un at our age but thank all things holy (and unholy) that you were able to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must just connect with some patients, probably the more outgoing ones.
    The red is spectacular. I wonder which province has the best tree display.
    Will a diagnosis of ADHD be of help? It may mean some medication, one that is overprescribed here.

    ReplyDelete