Wednesday, September 4, 2024


It was our anniversary yesterday.  It's a good thing this photo pops up on facebook, otherwise both of us would forget.  We got married up at Jasper, eight years ago.

When Jack started school last week, I realized it will be another thirteen years that I will be tied to a school calendar.  I don't mind, much, maybe a little.  I had wanted to travel a little when I retired, so I guess we'll just pull Jack out of school once in awhile and take him with us.  I would still like to visit Italy.


This photo was taken behind our house.  There are actually houses all around the pond, and a new school being built, but it's still a lovely little pond.  As you can see, there are also a lot of cattails.  Everyday when I go for my walk with the dogs, I watch the progression of the cattails, and they're nearing the end of their season.  This morning I read an article on how to harvest and dry the leaves, in preparation for weaving.  I thought about just watching videos on how to weave a basket, but I decided I would like to get out and meet other people, so I signed up for a course on basket weaving in a couple of weeks.  I'm kind of excited.

Yesterday an old friend drove out to the Park so we could have lunch together.  She kept trying to convince me to move back to the West End of Edmonton but that's not going to happen.  It's only a half hour drive to her place, not so far really.  We had a lovely visit.  We've been friends for thirty-two years.  She has multiple myeloma but she's doing well and enjoying life.  She wanted me to join her card group but that's not going to happen either.  Her friends are rich women, not my type.

On Monday we took Jack out to his grandma's lake lot to spend time.  To be honest it was fun for him, but boring for hubby and I.  We don't really fit in well there.  We don't sit around and drink much, or ever really.  But Jack had a good visit and loved seeing his other family.  Gracie wasn't there, she's not welcome at the lake.  

I had bad vertigo last week that left me very grumpy, nauseous, and very tired, shockingly tired.  It's finally gone now but I couldn't believe how drained it left me.  I have BPPV which is not a terrible thing but it is unpleasant.  I've had it since I was eighteen, and it comes and goes.  I am very thankful the vertigo is now gone.

I'm off to make some supper, so I don't have to cook later, and then walk the dogs.  It's cold and windy this morning, so I'm waiting a bit to walk the dogs.  It's dark now when we get up, sigh.  Winter is coming.

18 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, you two crazy kids! That's a lovely photo. Your upcoming basket weaving class sounds fab, I hope you have lots of fun. Yeah, BPPV is a pain in the ass, isn't it (well, not in the ass, but you know what I mean.) I've had it for about 12 or so years now, but luckily I don't usually get accompanying nausea or fatigue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had that kind of fatigue before with it, did not like that one bit.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you two good lookers! I like reading Jack had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the lovely couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for putting a label to the BPPV. I've had off and on most of my life but the doctors never put a label on it, nor did anything for it... I've gotten so I do not depend on my inner ears very much.

    I love your wedding picture--You're both looking very pleased with what you've done, very contented with your choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have an answer now and with it comes a treatment, Epley maneuver which works well, if you do it right, which I wasn't. Doh!

      Delete
  5. Y'all are just about newlyweds, aren't you? What a beautiful picture of a beautiful couple!
    I think you're smart to sign up for a class. I should do something like that. I really, really should. I will think about it...
    What a sweet little pond. It's nice to have water nearby, even just a pond. So much life goes on in it, I'll bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of ponds around here which I've come to enjoy. I missed having a river to walk by but the ponds are okay too.

      Delete
  6. A very happy anniversary to you. The pond looks wildish and lovely. The term basket weavers used to be an insult, something a childless cat lady might do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Italy is waiting for you but please don't go in the height of summer. There must be some way you can make it happen. I like that view from the back of your property - so green and calming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! John and I have been together 6 years and our first date anniversary is August 18th. (or 19th?) We don't really celebrate it although we do acknowledge it. I'm very thankful I met him. I love the riot of plants and trees in that scene. I didn't realize you could weave with cattails! I know what you mean about those get togethers. I don't sit around and drink either; my limit is one or two and then I'm done. But it's great that Jack had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary!!
    Taking Jack out of school for some mind expanding travel will be a good thing. Is there not any other family members that could step up now and again for a week or two to give you a break?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary. You both look lovely! I get what you're saying about school calendars though. A few years ago my neighbour's daughter asked if I would give English lessons five times a week at the school in the next village. I said no because (a) I am not a teacher by nature and (b) I didn't want to be tied to school calendars anymore, even though the post was unpaid. Good job I did because she moved a few months later and her child was no longer in that school. I've thought about that too now that Charlie has started school, but as it's a 45 minute drive over there (when it's not snowing) I don't see that happening either (not that they've asked)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary! Beautiful photo of you two.

    ReplyDelete