Monday, September 9, 2024



Acorns.  I'm collecting acorns again with plans to either plant them this fall, or to stratify them over the winter and then plant them in the spring.  Probably planting them now would be the easiest.  They are so beautiful and apparently you can eat them too.

I'm still feeling down and have been since Jack was traumatized again by his mother last month.  Gracie has no understanding, or doesn't care, that her actions affect others.  She is going to rehab and seems to think that is sufficient, no sorries, no explanations, nothing.  I think I'm angry about that, angry about how much she has hurt Jack in his short life, angry about how much my life has changed, angry that once again I am putting my life on hold.

That doesn't mean that I'm not happy to have Jack in our lives at all.  I love him and want to raise him, but it's not what I had planned to do.  And once again I feel like it doesn't really matter what I want to do.  I still take care of Katie, pay her bills, take her to the doctor, take her out for lunch and walks, while my exhusband swans in for a few hours, once a month, sometimes, to visit her.  People like to comment that it's good of him to visit, as he lives in Vancouver.  He chose to move to Vancouver and he's a pilot, so he flies on passes.  He's retired, he could do more for her but he chooses not to.  

And I'm angry with Jack's other family, who also like to swan off whenever they choose.  Rigth now they're in Vegas.  I get that they're different than me but it still irks me that I'm the responsible one.  I don't have any desire to go to Vegas but it bugs me that they can just go, without worrying about Jack.  I spent five days with my brother last month and all hell broke loose, again, while I was gone.

And I worry about my husband and his health, but I'm not going to write about that here because he would have a bird.  It's just kind of piled up on me over the last little while and I'm tired and sad and angry.  Perhaps I'm just grieving, the life I have, versus the life I thought I would have.  I have a good life but it's not what I thought it would be.  It's not like I have high expectations either, I keep those low but life managed to go even lower.  Apparently Barack Obama used to say, "When they go low, we go high."  My life seems to be of a different opinion.  When life goes low, we can go lower:)

I don't have a bad life at all.  I am retired and have more than enough money to see me out.  I'm relatively healthy, touch wood, and active.  I have a lovely grandson who also keeps me young and a daughter who is far more empathetic than people know.  Both Katie and Jack give the best hugs, but I think I am grieving for what existed only in my mind.  Just as I grieved the loss of my dream child when Katie was diagnosed, I think I am grieving the loss of my dream retirement.  Neither of the dreams were very realistic but they lived in my head and now it's time to let go of my dream retirement.  I let go of my dream child many, many years ago and ended up with Miss Katie, who wrapped herself around my heart and never let go.  I'm hopeful that the reality of my retirement is far better than what I dreamed.

To be honest, I think it's the school year and Jack starting school that is getting to me.  I realize that I know have thirteen years of school ahead of me, when I thought I was done with school when Katie graduated eleven years ago.  September is such a time of change.  The days are shorter, time is shorter it seems, things are finishing up and starting, all at the same time.  It's a time of changes.  Sigh.  

I wrote this out, cried hard, and now I'll probably take the dogs for a walk and then clean the house.  It helps me so much to get things out of my head and often I don't even realize what's really bothering me until I do set it down on paper (so to speak).  I'm grieving, I just didn't know that.

27 comments:

  1. Your feelings on all of this are completely legit and understandable. I would be miffed. I am thinking if you can get legal control of who, when and where Gracie is with Jack things may seem better. It is the non-stop stress that drags a person down. I have found blogging to be therapeutic and my blogging friends empathetic. I see you as a warrior on the side of a helpless child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is stress but I'm also letting go of dreams that I had and nobody even asked me about.

      Delete
  2. This is sad but beautifully written. I think you so clearly express what some of us of a certain age or situation (for me, a long-overdue divorce) are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are entirely correct and isn't it funny how we don't really always know how we feel until we write it all out? I find that to be true for me, too.
    You have a lot to grieve. That's all there is to it. And of course you have good and beautiful things in your life but that does not make everything else okay. It just doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to know that it's grief, at least for me. I didn't realize how much is was bothering me until I vomited it out onto the keyboard:)

      Delete
  4. As you know, I'm right there with you and can definitely relate and empathize. I'm having to re-adjust my expectations and let go of the relaxing, peaceful retirement I had envisioned. I would still like to travel but am afraid that all hell would break loose in my absence. It's frustrating and depressing. Sending you many hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great picture at the top but your acorns are not like the ones we have over here in England. Besides, only pigs would eat our acorns - not humans.

    As for your reflections, I am sure it it's good to write stuff down. You have had a lot of weights to carry in your adult life - more than most people. In comparison, I feel I have been more fortunate.

    You referred to The Big Guy's health and I hope that whatever the issue is it can be effectively addressed or solved.

    Your resilience is amazing. You get knocked down but you get right back up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be okay with getting knocked down less. I'm sure the acorns in England are much larger, as they are English:)

      Delete
    2. Our acorns are so big that it takes two people to carry one.

      Delete
  6. First, the acorns will become wonderful trees and what a gift you have there for the future.
    I get your anger absolutely, I get that you are mad and that you feel overwhelmed by this unfair turn to your retirement, your plans, the lot.
    While my circumstances were different, I have lived through that anger too. There is a certain traffic junction not far from my home, where I would pass a thousand times on my way to work and back for 15 years, mostly on my bicycle. And then there was that day a year after I was diagnosed with a shitty chronic disease when I stood there in my car watching a woman my age energetically cycling into the forest and I just sobbed and screamed because there and then I understood that my plans were changed forever, that I would not cycle along the Baltic Sea or to the tip of Italy when I retire and that I probably will be just a tired old woman with a miserably reduced pension due to no longer being able to work full time. I have been avoiding this particular traffic junction as much as possible ever since - it's been 10+ years - but there are days when that anger wants to be just as strong as it was then. But I've had it with anger, I want the good life even if it's totally different from what I had in mind there and then.
    Look after yourself, you know how to, you are very clever and organised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the same when Katie was diagnosed, the loss of my dreams. Life goes on, anger dissipates, but it's also good for me to understand why I'm angry/sad. I can imagine my daughter feels something similar to you. My middle daughter was diagnosed with MS 2.5 years ago and everything changed for her. The future was no longer certain, plans needed to change. My heart breaks for her when I think about it but there is nothing I can do, except understand how my own mum felt when Katie was diagnosed all those years ago.

      Delete
  7. Your feelings of a form of grief are not dissimilar to how I feel, that is sadness but also I feel cheated out of so many things. I will adjust, I suppose but you are really there for the long haul, and I truly hope you can adjust to the situation you've found yourself in. Keep in your mind that you are doing the right thing, even if others around you seem to be not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheated is a good word, that's how I feel sometimes. Cheated out of being a regular grandma, and cheated out of my plans that may or may not have happened.

      Delete
  8. I agree that writing things down is a way to get things out of of my (your?) head and see things more clearly. Both you and Sabine have expressed your sadness and grief to eloquently and I feel for you both. But - and this is a big but - I can also see you waking up on Christmas Day to the biggest hug from a little boy who loves you more than you will probably ever know. He will always remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of Christmas sadly and Jack's not a hugger in the mornings, but I know what you mean.

      Delete
  9. Your acorn photo is beautiful. Even though you're struggling, you're investing in the future by planting trees and caring for Jack. It seems in any group of people there are sadly those who carry more of the burden and responsibility than others. Who knows why that's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took that photo with my camera phone. I'm always amazed at how well those cameras work. I wonder why some people don't accept responsibilites the same as others. Research needed.

      Delete
  10. It's okay and normal to have these range of Emotions my Friend. I've been there, you will move thru it with as much dignity and grace as you can muster, you will Cope in ways that work best for you. You do have to Grieve the Losses of what were, might have been, never will be... they're legitimate Loss and that's never easy and is a process to move thru. I think my Dream and the Reality probably never could have or would have lined up... I don't think expectations were low... and Yes, Life is good most of the time and we can appreciate what is Good. You can Love and Hate all at the same time, things that are great and things that are awful and difficult. I did imagine that once the last Grandchild I was raising was grown, I'd have more opportunity to enjoy proper Retirement and Freedoms, while the Adult Kiddos helped with their Dad/Grandpa to give me respites. But, keep on Living and Life just happens... some of it is swell and quite a bit of it won't be. Big Hugs my Friend, you can do this, and it is hard to view the Lives of those who are clearly unencumbered by the responsibilities or Hand Dealt that would limit them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're mourning your future, I totally get it. I think you're upset too that you are responsible for other people's poor decisions, or the decisions you have make because folks don't want to be responsible when they should be. It stinks. I continue to hope that Gracie's mom and aunt step up so you can enjoy some parts of your retirement kiddo free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt very much that Gracie's mom or sister will change.

      Delete
  12. I haven't commented because I do not know what to say, other than you've picked up a huge responsibility and saved a life in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've articulated some feelings similar to what I have had lately; that I had expectations of how my life would go, and now I'm realizing that it very well may not and there's no way it could; and along with that comes some grief, some sorrow. I wonder if these are common life passages (with different circumstances for each person) -- at a particular age or phase of life. The endless time we thought we had to do everything ...isn't endless, darn it! No, our feelings only partly overlap and I'm not saying this clearly; maybe not correctly at all. Oof. You are so right about the unexpected unwanted experiences that weigh so heavily and disappoint us so much. How to go through them without losing sight of the sweetness that remains ... that is our challenge, my friend, and you're handling it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I often lose sight of the sweetness, maybe most people do. I don't know. I'm sorry life is kicking you in the ass right now.

      Delete