Tuesday, August 27, 2024

A slightly poisonous toadstool, with some halucinogenic qualities, just growing along the pathway.  I've been digging up baby spruce trees where these mushrooms grow and transplanting them to the pathway behind our house.  There used to be five columnar poplars growing there but they were cut down by the county because the trees were dying.  And now, five years later, still no replacement trees, so I though I would take matters into my own hands.  The spruce are very tiny, maybe three inches tall, but they'll get bigger, eventually.  I also picked some rosehips from the wild roses and planted those as well.  While I'm at it, I think I'll try planting some dogwood berries there as well.  

A few years ago I tried growing oak trees from the acorns, with limited success, but I did give some of those trees away to a colleague who lives on an acreage, and those trees are still alive.  As I've been walking on the paths, and through the woods, behind our house, I've noticed probably half a dozen oak trees trying to grow.  One was doing very well, and was probably four feet tall.  The others look only a year old and I'm sure were a result of a forgetful squirrel.  I hope they survive the winter.

We went to court this morning and asked the judge to restrict Gracie's visits to only supervised visits, once a week.  The application was granted and Gracie's sister will once again supervise visits between Gracie and Jack.  Gracie didn't object.  We don't have to go back until April, unless things change.  So good news but both hubby and I are exhausted, mentally.  

Last night Jack had a giant melt down, complete with screaming, crying, punching, and trying to break the glass door of the office.  We both stayed calm for Jack.  I think he needed to discharge his anger at life, and at his mom.  He was fine last night afterwards and slept well last night.  We did talk about how dangerous punching or banging a glass door is and what could happen if the glass broke.  He seemed to listen and understand.  All the anger seems drained out of him though, thankfully.

Life continues on, the days are shorter, the nights are longer and cooler.  The leaves have started to change colour and summer is ending.  Jack starts school on Thursday, and he's excited about that.  I'm planting trees and I'm excited about that.


I couldn't figure out who this photo belonged to but it definitely makes a point.  I'll try to start answering comments again, but I lack energy right now.  Sorry.

18 comments:

  1. Poor Jack. I am sure he feels so many things when it comes to his mother. There's just got to be one conflicting emotion after another and he's so young and can't even begin to separate any of it out. You are wise to let him express himself the best he can, being there to protect him. I am so glad that his visits to his mother will be supervised.
    Planting trees is a gift to the future and to the planet. You are doing that. You are doing good on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope her sister can manage it. What happens if her sister is not available? Love the picture of the mushroom! Don't apologize to us, we are just happy you come out and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so glad to hear your application has been granted. I do hope this is the start of healing for Jack. I think your allowing him to express his anger is wise. You are doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad there will be supervised access again. "From little acorns do mighty oaks grow" and I hope that will prove to be the case with Jack too. You are doing everything possible to ensure it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The toadstool is quite pretty. I hope your tree planting is successful. They are going in at the right time to establish themselves before spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm relieved that Jack is protected but the whole situation (circus?) has been draining and beyond stressful for you. I'm glad that he got the anger out and is now better. Bashing a pillow probably doesn't have the same effect as a glass door? I love that you are planting tree and other things to beauty the pathway. Sometimes the only solace we can find is trying to beautify the area around us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And also-don't worry about responding to comments! Geeze, you have enough on your plate. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably a very good thing that Jack let out some of that pent up steam and how wise of you to try to talk it through with him afterwards. The meltdown did not stop you or The Big Guy from loving him and that must be very reassuring for The Little Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good, with supervision maybe there will be less damage to Jack. I love the fact that you are transplanting baby trees and planting acorns. Since we took out the dead arborvitae there is a hole in the hedge made by trees. Something needs to go there, but I can tell you it will not be an arborvitae. NO mas! Never again, they've been wretched trees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy for you that you are making progress legally with Jack's situation. Poor little mite, I'd be angry if I had Gracie for a mother too! On a side note, mushroom picking is very popular here in France and my neighbour makes some wonderful preserved mushrooms. Wish I knew more (or even anything) about mushrooms but I don't want to take any risks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could there be a punching bag and some boxing gloves in Jack's future?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must be such a relief to you to have this wish granted by the judge. Jack will grow older and more ready to verbalise his anger, in the meantime, he needs to kick and punch stuff. I understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your mushroom photo. I hope Gracie's sister is a reliable supervisor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have walnut trees growing in my flower beds every year because the squirrels forget where they hid them. Little Jack has gone through some tuff times, more than some adults. Hopefully with your love he can forget the worst parts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been reading blogs for about a week. I am catching up now. You have certainly been through the wringer with Jack. I admire and applaud all that you are doing for him. And that photo of Charlie simply mesmerized me. I love dogs so much and the look on his face gave me a good feeling, so thanks for posting that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have 3 mature burr oaks that make clones every spring. I've dug and transplanted them with no luck whatsoever. One grew without any input from me in the middle of the bush between house and road, and one of its leaves was a foot long!
    When I leave a comment, it's without an expectation that it will be answered; I know you'll read it and hear me, which is my intention and why I comment. It's to acknowledge and support you after what you've just shared. I love that you've shared it and that's all I need... heartfelt words like yours. My comments would often be only "You go, girl!" and in essence you've already received a dozen of those ... you don't need one from me as well. I hope it goes without saying!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's so good that you both were able to stay calm for Jack and let him get his emotions out. I'm glad the judge agreed to only supervised visits. This world must be so confusing for that precious little boy.

    ReplyDelete