Friday, August 23, 2024


 
When I'm feeling down, I tend to drag all the bad stuff closer to me, to wallow in it, to confirm my belief that the world is not a good place.  Except that it's not true.  There is much good in the world, there are loving parents, there are people who dedicate their lives to helping others, and there are dogs.



I took this photo of Charlie last night.  It's hard to believe that a year ago I considered getting rid of him.  He's not without his issues but every morning he wags his tail and greets me as if I am his long lost best friend.  He loves me and I love him.

I worked yesterday and remembered how hard it is to care for dying people, both physically and mentally.  By the end of the day, the big guy and I were both exhausted when we picked up Jack from daycare.

On Wednesday, I served both Gracie and her mom with the court documents.  Gracie is angry as hell with her mom and me;  she didn't say a word to either of us when we stopped by her apartment to drop of the documents and a tablet.  Gracie is convinced that all will be resolved if she has a job.  In the last year and a half she has only worked two weeks.  I agree that she needs a job but she also needs to be sober.  She no longer recieves any money from the government for Jack.  We applied to the CRA to have Jack declared as our dependent and the CRA agreed, which means no more child benefits for her, about $900/month when they're all added up.

I had a long talk with Jack's grandma on Wednesday.  I drove out to her lake lot to pick her up and drive her home, as she has no car right now.  She agreed that she can't see Gracie ever being able to raise Jack, she can't even take care of herself.  That helped, hearing that.  I also told her that I made a conscious decision to give Jack the best care that I can, until he's an adult.  I hope that helped her as well.

Other than that, I have my garden, a good book and dogs to walk.  






15 comments:

  1. Good luck with your court application. Glad to hear you've switched over Jack's child benefits so they can be used to directly benefit him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on this next big step. You gave Gracie and her family a LOT of time to rectify the situation. Gracie is sick, and she is the only one who can get to a better place. I wish that her family would help you out with taking care of Jack, but it seems they are not going to be reliable on that end. I am glad her mom is listening to you now, and sees the reality of Gracie's problems. You, the Big Guy and his maternal grandparents, are all Jack has!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad Jack has you and the big guy to give him a stable home. This is such a hard decision to have to come to, but it's clearly the best and least confusing thing for that precious little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing the right thing here and it's time the family of Gracie understands that.
    Also: that dog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that Gracie no longer has government benefits, perhaps this will push her into cleaning up her act, or not. I am glad that you're receiving help with caring for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big steps and changes but positive ones for Jack and a more resolved situation for you. Gracie had a multitude of chances and her choices were dangerous to Jack and would continue to harm him, physically and emotionally. Still so hard though. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing the right thing. The good thing. The decent and loving thing. Try to hang on to that because it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you are doing the right thing and the fact Gracie's mother has finally faced that fact means you are definitely doing the right thing. Give Jack and Charlie a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the stability now will be very helpful to Jack. You have a long road ahead but whatever the adult Jack is like, it won't be for the lack of care on your part. It's a nice photo of Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad Gracie's mom sees the situation as you do. I'm sure Gracie is angry but you're doing the right thing, as you already know. Dogs alone convince me of the good in the world. That's a fantastic picture of sweet (if occasionally troublesome) Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy Gracie's mother is no longer in denial about Gracie, and is behind you on this. As for Gracie, alcoholics are always angry. It will give her a reason to drink. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to hope that Jack and Charlie bond so closely that Charlie is Jack's constant companion! A boy and his dog!
    This gawd-awful trial has to have an ending with you and Grandpa always having that boy close!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope that Gracie never has another child. I am deeply sorry for her plight as a lot of mental health and addiction issues can be outside people's control. But there should never be a/nother child in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If only, if only, if only... it could be a tale of simple normality. Your son and Gracie together, both sober, both in work - raising Jack, paying their bills, going round to Grandma's house for a meal once a week. Laughing. Sharing stories. Enjoying life. But it's not like that and can never be now for that bus already left the terminal. I applaud your common sense and your stickability.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have always done the right thing by Jack. I'm just glad his other grandma can see/accept that now too!

    ReplyDelete