Thursday, July 25, 2024

We're home.  We were supposed to visit Jasper and our friend who lives there but Jasper was ordered evacuated on Monday night.  He made it out but we don't know if his house survived the fire.  I've been crying a fair bit.  Jasper means a lot to us, it's where we got married, where we went to take photos and where we went we needed to get away from bullshit.  The waitress at Papa George's know us and I wonder about her home too.

The highway is closed from the south and both east and west.  We were supposed to travel up the Icefield Parkway to Jasper but that's where the fire came from.  We cancelled the hotels and came home.



 Wildfire Frenzy Forces Massive Evacuation in Jasper National Park - West Island Blog







11 comments:

  1. Jasper National Park is an absolute treasure, and this makes me feel ill. I hope your friends haven't lost their homes, but it looks dire. These awful wildfires! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrible situation and loss in Jasper. Like you, I have special memories of Jasper too. It's kind of Edmonton's park, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasper is lovely town and this is sad to hear. We stayed a night there after leaving the Rocky Mountaineer. I clearly remember lots of hanging flower pots and sitting in the setting summer sun on the rooftop of a bar with a beer bucket of six bottles between four of us. I think we bought a second bucket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am so sorry to read this. I am glad you are safe and at home, but you must feel much worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so horrible to see ... wildfires are a respecter of nothing and no one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is absolutely no issue of more importance than the environment and what we are doing/have done to this planet, our only home. You'd think we'd pay better attention to the obvious signs. I am so sorry that a place you love is in danger of being destroyed. I can only imagine how I'd feel if places I have known and loved met the same fate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. Those photos are horrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just horrific, no other word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry. These terrible fires are becoming more frequent and more devastating.
    well, lots of Climate change Natural disasters are.

    ReplyDelete