Friday, July 26, 2024


We visited Jack's great grandma while we were in Red Deer.  She's ninety-one now and relatively healthy, except for her arthritis and dementia.  Her long term memory is intact but her short term memory is almost non existent.  Fortunately for me, we knew each other over forty years ago and she remembers me.

I dated her son, I'll call him Stuart, for four years and he's the biological father of my son.  I was young when we met, we both were, only eighteen.  There were immediate red flags but nobody talked about red flags back then and I was just flattered to have a good looking guy take an interest in me, actually, any guy.  I had no self esteem when I was a young woman and he made good use of that.  

Looking back, I can see that Stuart, was/is a sociopath, much like our son.  He was also an alcoholic, a chronic liar, and abusive.  I finally broke up with him when my son was a year old.  Stuart had come over to my place, the top floor of an old house, completely out of his mind.  He had peed on the stove and when I went to heat up my son's bottle of milk, the stench was sickening.  That was the final straw for me. 

As Stuart lay passed out in my bed, I thought of blowing out the pilot light on the furnace in my place and cranking up the gas.  At that point I realized I needed to get out of that relationship and I did, but it took another year to rid myself of Stuart and I even had to leave town for him to leave me alone.  

Stuart is three months younger than me.  He's had a stroke and lives in a continuing care centre in Calgary.  He's been sober for the past eight years, mostly because he had a stroke and couldn't buy his own liquor anymore.  He remains a sociopath.  He tried to sell his mother's home out from under her (his mother already had dementia at this point) which was when his family removed him from his mother's home.

That's part of the story.  The other part of the story is that Stuart had a wonderful, warm, loving, supportive family that I didn't want to break up with.  Obivously I didn't break up with them; we've kept in touch all these years.  

Stuart's mom is indigenous and was born in Hobbema, now called Maskwacis, the Cree name of the place, before the Europeans showed up.  She's still a lovely, funny, kind woman who is stubborn as hell.  Jack was so good.  She must have asked him twenty times, at least, how old was he.  He was kind to her, an old woman whom he didn't remember ever meeting before.  

And Stuart's sister is just lovely as well.  We've kept in touch all these years too.  We talked about my son and Stuart, about how similar they are, about how much they lie and use people.  It felt good to be understood and accepted, more accepted than I've ever felt with my own birth family.  I got and gave a lot of hugs yesterday when we visited.

29 comments:

  1. It's great that you've kept in touch with the family and preserved those family ties for Jack. I hope he remembers meeting his great-grandma in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she lives long enough for him to remember, but we will have photos at least.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous picture! Stewart's mother does not look like a 91 year old woman. She is beautiful and look at the way Jack is leaning into her. I just love that.
    We all do things in our youth that, looking back, make us shake our heads in wonder at our inability to make good decisions. But this is how we learn.
    It is nice to see YOUR beautiful self too, dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad humans learn the hard way. Jack was so good with her, made my heart happy.

      Delete
  3. That is a wonderful picture of all of you. I'm so happy she remembered you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've kept in contact all these years and I'm thankful for that.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful photo, a real keeper! I'm glad you've kept in touch with the kind and supportive members among your in-laws. And alas, it's so easy, isn't it, to get caught up and entangled in the dysfunctional lives of others. You were smart to get out when you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was either get out or go to jail. The look on Stuart's face was something when I told him what I was planning on doing; I think he got that I was serious.

      Delete
  5. I love this photo! Such a wonderful keepsake. Family is definitely the people we choose. My late husband's relatives except for one nephew and his wife are out of my life whereas John's daughters and granddaughters have become more like family. My 92 year old mom isn't very steady on her feet but appears to have most of her marbles. I think her hearing is going though which she refuses to admit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Families fracture and then come back together, often to fracture again. The best part is finding new family members whom we can love.

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful photo. You know I completely understand the sociopath part of the story, having been raised by one and fully knowing they exist. You were wise to get out and lucky you were able to. Jack looks so good in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Stuart's sister that my greatest fear is that I will spend years raising Jack and that he'll be a sociopath as well. She said, "You can't know what will happen." which is true, but it is a real fear.

      Delete
  7. What an important visit for you all and a lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see this happy picture of you all. I can see similarities between Jack's face and his great grandmother's. Native genes coming through? Hugs to you all. x0x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely visit. Great grandma is an amazing woman who survived residential school and two years in a TB hospital.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a very therapeutic visit and it's such a nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really a wonderful photo of you all. I especially like the look on Jack's face

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sociopaths do so much damage don't they! It was only when we had one come in as HR director and I saw how horrified everyone was that I realized these people walk among us. Then when I found a psychiatrist's report on my ex (it fell out of a book that he had dumped on me, I didn't open it) that things started falling into place. That poor lady - nobody asks for that do they! And that is a beautiful picture of you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how many sociopaths walk among us but knowledge helps, forewarned is forearmed. You can protect yourself better if know.

      Delete
  12. That photo is beautiful. I love how Jack is leaning his head against his great grandmother. Wow, you've lived a life. It sounds like it could be a made into a movie. That must have been very difficult dealing with Stuart. I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life was hard because of my poor choices at times. I'm thankful I didn't kill him:)

      Delete
  13. A lovely extended Family pix. She looks so good for being in her 90's and I'm glad you kept in touch with the family members who are lovely people, in spite of your ex boyfriend not being. Some of the generational 'curses' can be handed down, can't they... alcoholism, mental health, addictions, etcetera. I'm so glad that Jack had a good time with his Great-Grandma and was so Loving towards her. I think Children can be very perceptive about many things in ways that are quite profound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think children are far more perceptive than we give them credit for.

      Delete
  14. You have been through so much. That photo though just radiates!

    ReplyDelete