Wednesday, June 5, 2024


The marsh marigolds are blooming at the dog park.  I'm always happy to see them bloom in the springtime, and they fill the boggy areas with their colour.

The dogs had a wonderful time, especially Charlie.  He doesn't walk at the park, he only runs.  


The ponds around Sherwood Park are slowly refilling with all the rain we've had over the past couple of weeks, making the ducks, coots and pelicans happy.  I think when I'm retired I'll spend some time at this pond, with my husband's telephoto lens, capturing the wildlife.

As for me, only four days of work left.  I finished up my CPR course yesterday, probably the last one I'll ever take, after forty years of CPR courses.  I saw a patient of mine yesterday whom I call my Georgia peach and I was so glad I got to say goodbye to her before I retired.  She's from Georgia and has a lovely southern accent.  She and her husband are driving down to Geogia this summer for their granddaughter's wedding.  I gave her a big hug and wished her well.

I saw another patient on Monday who looked vaguely familiar.  She is the same age as me and a trans woman but she was a man when she started coming to us ten years ago.  We talked, a lot, and she was so easy to talk to.  After we were all done and she was sitting in the hallway, I realized who she had been as a man.  I can't imagine how difficult it would be to go through a transition at our age.  What was so strange for me was how much we talked, much more than when she had been a man.  Was it her?  Was it me?  Do I treat men and women differently?  I'm sure I do but because I had her as both a man and a woman, I was shocked at how differently our conversation went.  Or was she just a lot happier as a woman?  Affected by the hormone changes in her body? Did she feel more comfortable sharing as a woman, than she ever was as a man? I don't know the answer but I do know it was lovely to see her.

Yesterday morning one of the xray techs gave me a small retirement gift and a card with a painting on it called, "Not Forgotten".  She told me how much she had enjoyed working with me and said that she would not forget me and then I burst into tears.  

Yesterday I was also working hard to finish up my CPR course online and one of the other nurses, the one who always does the bare minimum required, said that she needed to work on her course.  I told her that I only had four days of work left and I needed to complete the course.  I asked her when her CPR expired and she told me the end of June, mine expired a week ago so I told her that I'm going to leave the floor and finish it.  I stood up to her and I was proud of myself.  This is the same nurse that often has an "injury" just before summer and requires the summer off.  This year it's her back.  She was fine for four months of holidays but now that she's back to work, she can't manage.  Everyone is longing for her retirement.  She told me that she would not be able to make it to my retirement party and I bit my tongue and did not say, "I didn't want your there anyway."  

I worked very hard in the garden last weekend and I've been suffering with sore knees since, unable to sit down on the toilet without holding onto something.  It's getting better but I remember my mum having this same problem.  WTF!  I'll be pissed if everything starts to give out just as I retire:)



24 comments:

  1. Only 4 days of work left! You must be getting so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly accurate sign.
    What an interesting observation about your conversations with the trans woman before and after transition. I think you probably are correct in all of your musings about why they were so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She lost both her job, a boilermaker, and her daughter because of the transition. It must have taken a lot of courage to go ahead with her transition.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that went fast! Leaving those behind you care for is the hard part of retirement. The good part is, you are no longer tied to a job. I so agree with that sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old age has arrived but I'm not ready for it:)
      I will miss my work family much more than I realized.

      Delete
  4. 4 days, wow! I think that men and women interact differently with each other than men-men and women-women. There are certain dynamics of each one of those situations. But I don't know about your particular instance. I'm guilty of overdoing the weeding/lawn mowing and sometimes end up with a wonky back. Not what I want at all! Take it easy--retirement will give you much more time to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a shrub gone and when I start something, I have a hard time letting it go. I want it done. Well my knee has complained long and hard since then. My back has hurt for years but this knee was a new one. I can hardly wait for more aches and pains.

      Delete
  5. I love the picture of Charlie! That is a happy dog!

    It seems with only four days left they'd have let you skate on the CPR training. But I guess if there was a crisis and you hadn't been trained within the prescribed time window there would be hell to pay.

    Your observation about the trans patient is interesting. It's hard to say why the conversation was so different this time, but it does make one think about how we respond to people in our daily lives.

    I'm impressed that you get pelicans up where you live! I think of them as ocean birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that we go pelicans here either until I moved to Sherwood Park. The east side of Edmonton is a lot different in terms of geography, than the west side of Edmonton. Most pelicans go even farther north to Lac La Biche, there are ton of them there.
      I plan on working one or two days a week sometimes for the next year so I'll have to have my CPR for one more year.
      She was very open about her transition and the difficulties that she's had, which made it easier for me to share with her.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your retirement! I did so a year ago after 40+ years as a teacher. I thought I would miss it, but I don't. I enjoy reading your blog. You seem like a genuine person, and I do find some parallels with my own life as well. I have a son who is ADHD and is gay as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it remains to be seen how much I will miss it. And thank you for the compliment. I try very hard to not lie to myself but it's work and it's uncomfortable.

      Delete
  7. Well, you know that once you retire, stuff will happen like these sore knees and other health issues. Simply because you'll have the time to notice. But lucky for you, you can figure it out, rest and recuperate at your own pace. It can even be enjoyable!
    That dog looks extremely happy. May your last days pass easily at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie is always happiest when he is running at full speed, stretching out his legs. I'm just going to go out for a long walk, in town, to loosen up my muscles, not too fast though.

      Delete
  8. Oh, the dratted knees. Mine have been suggesting to me that I might light to quit sitting on my heels when weeding. So now I'm sitting on the ground, still have to get up, though. Four more days. It will be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kneel on my knees but it's the getting up and down that's so hard. Hopefully some exercise will help.

      Delete
  9. Your thoughts about the trans woman and talking to her is interesting. I like that you are thinking about it and not rushing to a conclusion.
    I'm afraid to say that is exactly what happened to me when I retired nearly five years ago. I've often wondered if there was a connection. I can't see why or how. Hopefully it won't be the case for you, but the sign is rather apt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably everything just starts to give out and that's what makes us feel like retiring. Who knows?

      Delete
  10. I think the lazy colleagues are everywhere. They are usually so predictable aren't they! Mind you, we had a guy who gave us a sick note from a gynaecologist one time (no kidding)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Growing old kind of sucks, not going to lie. But it sure beats the alternative. Congrats on your retirement. It's going to be great as you dive into your artistic pursuits. Take your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing older is painful for the body and you're right, better than the alternative:)

      Delete
  12. What glorious photos of your garden - I am so envious, but don't have the patience to be a proper gardener. Your dog photo made me smile too - my whippet does nothing but run, except, strangely, when in the woods, where he stops and looks upward at hos nemesis the squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our other dog used to supplement her diet with squirrels, she's quite the hunter. Heidi was also a rescue, lived on a reserve and was not fed properly, underweight, hence the hunting.

      Delete