Tuesday, June 11, 2024


Dandelion, after the rain.

I tried taking the dogs to the off leash this morning.  There was a small dog in the paddock, so I couldn't put Charlie in there first to run off some of his energy and poop, so I let him loose in the main park.  He pooped and as I went to pick it up, my phone rang and as I went to answer it, Charlie ended up in a growling, snarling match with another dog, in the two seconds I was distracted.

The owner of the other dog was pissed, so I just decided to leave.  The thing is, Charlie only gets agressive when he's scared, but Heidi doesn't help because she has to put her two cents in as well, and then things go off the rails.  I ended up going for a walk in the neighborhood with Charlie on his leash but I walked a little to fast, didn't want to be late for my hair appointment, and really upset my right knee.

Three months ago, I slipped on the ice and wrenched by right shoulder, that is almost fully healed.  Two weeks ago while I was gardening, I did something to my right knee and it's very sore.  My knee is sore enough that I kind of fall onto the toilet seat, much like my mother used to.  I've been trying to support myself by hanging onto things which has made my back unhappy.  I'm fucking falling apart.  


Miss Katie turns thirty-two on Sunday.  My middle daughter and her fiancee are flying out here on Thursday to help with my retirement party, except my retirement party isn't this weekend..  My daughter wanted to cater the party but she booked the flight for the wrong weekend, so now she's coming out twice this month.  I'm not complaining, it will be so nice to spend time with her and Katie will be so happy to see her as well.  And the upside, they'll be here for Katie's birthday.  Katie has three grey hairs now; she's obviously not going to grey young like I did.  It's hard to believe that it's been thirty-two years since she was born.  She was supposed to be called Annie but she was a giant baby, 10lbs 11oz, and didn't look like an Annie.  She ended up in NICU because her lungs were wet and she was hypotonic, but two nights after she was born, we took her home.  There is no way to describe how much I love this girl, or how much I worry about her.  She is my hard gift and the two of us are bound together as long as we're both alive.


My leopard's bane is blooming which makes me happy.  It was so cold the other day and today it's 24C (75F).  

20 comments:

  1. How fortunate for you and Katie your daughter made a mistake on the weekend! Now you get her twice. Very pretty flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a happy mistake but an expensive one for my daughter.

      Delete
  2. Spectacular photos! The dandelion one--ooh. I love how you think of Katie as a hard gift. I'm trying to consider my younger daughter as my hard gift. Difficult some days. Our bodies, which we once thought of as strong and invincible, are now as fragile as glass. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that it's just one thing after another, and I'm lucky. I'm healthy, no broken bones, no chronic diseases, just normal aging.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to Miss Katie! Nice that your middle daughter will be here to help celebrate her birthday with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie will be over the moon to see her sister and her future brother in law. She loves them.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear - it seems unfair that after all those years of nursing and on the eve of retirement, your body is starting to complain in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens. What can you do? Perhaps some gentle exercise and stretching will help:)

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the joys of getting older! I am not sure what your health system is like but if an op presents itself, take it. Best things I have ever done.
    Happy birthday to Katie and what a fortuitous mistake on your middle daughter's part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just injured soft tissue, it will heal, just takes awhile.
      I'm happy to have her here two weekends in a row:)

      Delete
  6. It must be strange to see your own children age and reach various points in their lives. You've taken such rich flower photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is forty, which was the age I was when he first phoned me from jail. The joys.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like there is a distinct lack of spare parts for the right side of your body doesn't it!!! Take care - you've got so much to look forward to with retirement knocking at your door. And happy birthday Miss Katie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder what the universe is trying to tell me:)

      Delete
  8. Even normal aging sucks.
    Your "hard gift". Isn't that the truth of it? She is your precious girl.
    Two visits from your daughter sounds like an expensive gift! But a gift, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely gift. Fortunately, flights back and forth from Vancouver are not a terrible price

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hard gift - I am so very moved by this expression.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the best things we ever did was put grab bars next to the toilet. They come in nice colors and finishes now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hard gift. For some reason that made my eyes well up. So beautiful. And hard.

    ReplyDelete