Wednesday, May 1, 2024


I'm the late nurse this week so I don't get home until six pm, which is when Jack has his shower and gets ready for bed.  Only two more late shifts and then I won't be working them again, so we'll manage.  I went to an information night last week for Jack's kindergarten class in the fall.  We're working on his letters and words as you can see.  It's surprising how many of the letters he does know and once he figures out that they make words, there'll be no stopping him.  I hope.  Jack's father has learning disabilities and didn't learn how to read until he was in grade five; I bought Hooked On Phonics, and taught him to read myself.  The program worked very well and this time I will know what to do if Jack stumbles when he's learning to read.  When my son went to school thirty-five years ago, the school system had thrown phonics out the window and a lot of students struggled.  Lets hope phonics is back in the school room now.


Miss Katie is doing well and here she is with one of her favorite caregivers.  I bought the sweatshirt for Katie because I love the irony.  To be honest though, Katie is much smarter than people give her credit for.


I shot this leopard's bane in Vancouver but I noticed the other day that mine is starting to make it's way through the dead leaves that I pile on my garden in the fall.  I'm a fan of yellow flowers; they always make me happy.  

I have sixteen days of work left which will fly by.  Everytime I go to work I have to ask for more vacation days off as I'm continuing to acrue vacation days, until my actual retirement date.

Speaking of work, things we've had lately.

An older indigenous man who had been stabbed multiple times and shot, when he was younger.  One of the stabbings involved his subclavian vein on the right side of his chest.  He survived the stabbing but that vein no longer works and it is the vein that we use to install a PORT (a type of central line).  He needed a PORT for his chemo but we had to switch things out and we ended up putting a PICC line in (peripherally inserted central catheter) into his arm.  His son also overdosed last fall on opiods.  How do people keep going?

A thirty-eight year old woman, eighteen weeks pregnant, newly diagnosed with breast cancer.  It took years for her and her partner to get pregnant.  Her body is saturated with estrogen and the cancer will take off like wildfire.  She will not see her child grow up and that breaks my heart.

Met up with an old friend, she used to care for Katie, and her cancer treatment is going well.  I also met her husband for the first time (her second husband) and found out that he also has cancer.  He has cholangiocarcinoma but it was caught early, an incidental finding when he had a gallstone and his treatment is going well.

I've been telling patients at work that I'm retiring and it's hard.  Some of these patients I've known for thirteen years, and a part of me feels like I'm abandoning them.  It's also hard for me to hear that I will be missed, compliments make me squirm.  One of the young nurses has taken over charge duty and she's fantastic, and I'm happy to step back from all of that, but a part of me is sad too, even as my knees complain bitterly.  I will miss these young nurses so much.  They are part of my family.  A bittersweet feeling and I guess I'm thankful for that because there has been a lot of sweetness and I need to remember that.

28 comments:

  1. The first photo is priceless. Katie looks really happy with her caregiver/friend. I can only imagine how conflicted your feelings are. You are leaving a large part of your life, but also opening up a new way. You and I had similar childhood into adulthood struggles, so I completely understand not taking compliments. I cannot either. We should work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should work on that:)
      I'll probably find different people to take care of, volunteering?

      Delete
  2. It's natural to feel bittersweet upon retirement, as you know. You're giving up a lot at the same time that you're gaining a lot. It's a big change. I love that top photo! I also learned to read using phonics. I remember my teachers constantly telling me to sound out words. (I think that's phonics, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sounding them out is phonics.
      We have a new routine now, after supper, I clean up whatever the big guy didn't put in the dishwasher (because I still handwash things) and the big guy and Jack read together. It's working well and makes everybody happy. Sometimes there is also bike riding, weather permitting.

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely photo of Katie and her caregiver. Jack looks very enthusiastic about learning his letters and numbers. I hope he has no issues with reading or other learning but good that you'll be on the lookout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack and his poppa were laughing about something. His attention is hit and miss and I imagine he has ADHD; all my children and I have it. I hope treatment has improved since the nineties.

      Delete
  4. Nurses like you do not just have jobs. You have meaning and purpose and dedication and a true mission to serve. You are going to miss that, even as you will be so grateful for the extra time and energy. And of course, you will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will miss my patients so much. It will be hard but dealing with all the grief is hard too.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to your knees! Retirement will be different, but it will be good. Reading to a child is the most important act a parent can do. I read by five years old. Too bad the parents didn't do math with me, I've always been fairly useless at that. Good for you for getting custody of Jack's funds, he is where the money should be going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping my knees with see me out:)
      I read to both my older children, for years, and neither one of them are readers, but without reading, you can't learn anything.

      Delete
  6. I am sure you will find lots to do in retirement and will continue to help people but it will be on your terms (and your knees')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will I be helping people on my knees? LOL. That sounds very dirty.

      Delete
  7. Phonics is (are?) so important! They tried to get rid of it/them some years back but realized their mistake. That is such a sweet photo of Katie. Cancer is a heartless, soulless evil entity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cancer is such an asshole. And yes, phonics are so important. I don't know why they thought kids didn't need them, English is a difficult, messy language to learn.

      Delete
  8. I want to share this with you. My grandson was finishing his K4 year when Covid lockdowns started in March 2020. He knew his alphabet and was writing his letters but had not started actually reading. His Mom’s job became work from home so he was with her every day. He was constantly interrupting her wanting her to read something on a game on the iPad and various other things. Just short things. She finally told him he would have to figure it out because he couldn’t keep interrupting her work. So he literally taught himself to read by turning on closed captioning for his TV shows and read along with the audio. He was one that managed to excel during the lockdown. Maybe that is a thing you could add to your grandson’s journey to reading.
    Not the ideal method, but it worked for him. His kindergarten teacher the next year had him helping other students one-on-one learn to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some kids who can learn on their own but that hasn't been my experience. That's so wonderful that your grandson was able to learn to read on his own.

      Delete
  9. These last days will fly! It's always so amazing to watch children figure out words and reading., the delight in your grandson's face is proof of that.
    Many moons ago, I studied cognitive development in children and how to recognise when abstract thinking sets in. There are simple tests for that involving sets of coloured blocks and it is absolutely wonderful to watch. From my own experience with teaching reading, watching my daughter and now my grandchild starting to read and write, I find it's stories that work, to understand that letters and words are tools to tell us stories, to allow us to tell stories and to share thoughts and ideas.
    Anyway, you will have a great time with all of that.
    It's lovely to see your happy daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all want to tell our story, don't we? And everyone has a story to tell. I love watching the look of understanding on Jack's face when he figures something out.

      Delete
  10. As soon as I saw that top picture, I noticed the brown mark on Jack's right cheek. Previous pictures of him have not revealed a birthmark so what is it? Maybe he smeared his cheek with melted chocolate? He always looks so comfortable when he is enjoying a book with The Big Guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's usually happy with the Big Guy; they have a special bond. And the brown mark on Jack's cheek, it's a temporary tattoo, a rainbow I think.

      Delete
    2. I had no idea that Canadian rainbows are brown. Ours are multi-coloured as in a prism.

      Delete
  11. Once you retire, you will feel such relief. If the person they hire to take over your duties is competent, you won't worry about your patients. You will simply remember their kind words and feel the love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our patients come back to us over and over again, sometimes for years. You develop relationships with them. One young woman started a clinical trial fourteen years ago and she is the only patient, in the world, still alive from the trial. She's even gotten married. She has a life. It's always so nice to see her. I'll miss that.

      Delete
  12. I just stumbled upon your blog this morning as I was reading comments on Yorkshire Pudding's blog. I read your most recent entries. You sure do have a lot on your plate. Your troubles with your son reminded me so much of my own troubles with my son, who is 40 too. Good luck on your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thank you for wishing me well on my retirement.

      Delete
  13. I found some aspect of retirement hard - impossible actually - but then I'm a writer and think it is just a part of who I am. A bit like, say, being a farmer...
    So I still write every day, sometimes for myself, more often paid commissions and ghostwriting - but always for people and organisations I truly like. I guess that is what supposed retirement has done for me - it has allowed me to pick and chose rather than stop. I hope you find the balance that works for you.
    Oh and I loved your closing comment ... 'because there has been a lot of sweetness and I need to remember that.' I might steal that sentiment sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine I'll find something to do, people to help, volunteering, exercising, quilting, traveling and reading. I'm glad you liked that closing comment:)

      Delete
  14. I hope that it is something that makes you know how important you were in the lives of other people. I don't have that.

    ReplyDelete