Wednesday, April 24, 2024


I took Katie to see her doctor yesterday, for a prescription for birth control pills, which we got.  However, her health benefits don't cover that prescription.  Sigh.  On the upside, no injuries from her bus ride the other night.  I just got the report for what happened on Monday to Katie.  She was in her wheelchair on the bus, not standing as I had assumed, and the bus driver took a sharp turn and Katie and her wheelchair both tipped over.  This is a person driving disabled people around.  Why on earth would you not drive with more care?

So Katie is fine although I now have to deal with her diaper prescription and her birth control prescription.  I'm so thankful my ex husband is so helpful (sorry, must stop here to laugh uncontrollably).  It will get sorted, it's just one more thing to add to the must get sorted list.  

I have been approved for my CPP (Canadian Pension Plan which is federal) and just need to hear from my LAPP (Local Authorities Pension Plan).  I also applied for Jack's children's benefits and those were received and are being processed and we'll hear in July about those.  Two things, one, it will help us pay for daycare and Jack's needs, and two, it will stop the money going to Gracie, which is what she lives off of right now.  She's still not working.

A few weeks ago my son texted me, after repeatedly telling me that he was going to block me, to ask if he could use our mailing address.  I told him no.  Yesterday he texted me to tell me that he had used our mailing address for his EI (unemployment insurance).  He wants to use our address to avoid the government keeping track of him which sounds like a conspiracy theory but in this case I'm pretty sure I'm right.  I told him no again which set off a flurry of texts from him.  Basically I'm a bad mother because I'm not willing to help him this one time.

I have been enabling this man for the past twenty-two years and yesterday I'd had enough.  I blocked him and then my jaw tightened up and ached all night.  I cried a fair bit and tried not to cry at the doctor's with Katie because that doc already worries about me too much.  She thinks I have too much on my plate.  Lots of women have too much on their plate, I'm not alone.

And so it goes.  I have a massage this morning which will help with the tight muscles and then I'll walk the dogs later at the dog park.  The sun is shining and I heard robins singing last night which means spring has truly arrived.  


I forgot to add, for some reason blogger is not showing me all new posts on some people's blogs and I don't know why.  Right now I'm just going through my list to make sure I'm not missing any.

Update.  While I was having my massage and I was telling my massage therapist about my son, she said to me, "It must feel like you're a hostage.".  I promptly burst into tears.  So there's that.  Time to free myself.

18 comments:

  1. The flower is gorgeous. You have a lot on your plate. I hope all this paperwork sorts out, no hitches. Gracie may need to live with her sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could remember the name of the flower. Gracie's sister would never allow her to live with her, nor would her mother.

      Delete
  2. It's very unfortunate that you must deal with so many difficult people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suck at saying no, just feel resentment. I keep trying to set boundaries and I am improving, ever so slowly.

      Delete
  3. A hostage! That's a perceptive comment. We are indeed in that position, sometimes because we allow ourselves to be and other times we have no choice. Your ex and your son, blech. What a couple of narcissistic a-holes, excuse my language. It sounds like you're getting all your proverbial ducks in a row with benefits. Yay for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My middle daughter felt the same way when she went to Iceland with her dad. Hostage feels right, now I need to escape, which is on me.

      Delete
  4. Yes, you have too much on your plate. I hope it will get easier with retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to scrape some stuff off my plate, or some people:)

      Delete
  5. I listened to a podcast interview a few days ago (Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard) and the interviewee was/is a diagnosed sociopath. SO INTERESTING! Her name is Patric Gagne and she has written a book. She is a clinical psychologist. As I listened, I thought about your son. Now- could he be diagnosed with sociopathy? I have no idea but the thing that caught me was how Gagne talked about how her mother always blamed herself for the behaviors of her child when in all actuality, she had nothing to do with it. In fact, Gagne's learned behaviors that allowed her to fit into society came from her mother.
    It might help you a little bit, just to listen to the interview. Even if your son's situation is different, it is an excellent reminder that there are things that even the most loving of mothers cannot control in their children as children or as adults.
    You do have too much on your plate and if you could at least rid yourself of some of the emotion associated with dealing with your son, it might help.
    Or it might not.
    Anyway, I wish I could hug you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to take a look for that book. Thank you Mary.

      Delete
  6. It will be good for you to reach retirement. You have enough pressures to deal with and erasing work from your life will give you more space, more quiet time. It is as if your son has no appreciation of the hurt and worry he has caused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Moon is right, my son is a sociopath. He has no remorse, he lies, he manipulates people, gaslights people, doesn't learn from his mistakes, I could go on and on, but you get the point. He's not going to change, despite me always hoping he will.

      Delete
  7. How will Gracie react to not getting the money for Jack? As long as he is safe with you it shouldn't be your problem.
    Block your son and return any mail addressed to him to the sender.
    It might feel like you are alone but you have so much support in blogland. Keep venting here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, a hostage. That's exactly right when dealing with family members who are alcoholics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge Virtual Hug my Friend. Yes, plates are quite full, so are Dance Cards, for most of us Gals. *Le Sigh* I can commiserate with regards to Adult Sons. We had a bad Weekend with ours and I had to kick him out again. He isn't able to coexist with others in Harmony of late and for a multigenerational household to work, everyone must get along and play well with others. I can't mediate and moderate like I'm the Referee of a Cage Fight between Loved Ones who all have significant Issues and so whoever is not in compliance to house Rules and being disruptive, must go. You are doing the Right thing even tho' it's not the easy thing. Glad you got your Massage and are taking some Care of your own Needs. Once you get the Pension situation figured out you can enjoy some of what Retirement will afford you now. I could no longer juggle a Career with this Full Dance Card of Full Time Caregiving, I have no delusions about that.

    ReplyDelete