Wednesday, May 8, 2024


Spring is finally here.  The trees are budding out, the ice and snow are gone, and we got some heavy rain which was sorely needed.  I took the dogs to the off leash on Sunday and Charlie was so good but he did break a toenail.  He won't let me cut his toenails, even with a muzzle on, so I let them break.  I feel badly for him, but he will not let me cut them.  It's disgusting, I know.



I had a long dentist appointment on Monday.  When I was in Vancouver last month, a filling broke and the best way to preserve the tooth was with a crown.  I've never had a crown before and although it wasn't painful, it took forever and my whole body was tense the whole time.  Although the pain was minimal, just the needles for the freezing, lots of strange things in my mouth, which I didn't like, but needs must.  My new dentist is the daughter of a coworker and is a wonderful dentist, kind, gentle and knowledgeable.  A good combo.  I get my permanent crown in a couple of weeks.

I'm down to fourteen days of work left before retirement, not that I'm counting.  I worked yesterday and I don't know what the problem was but I was so tired, tired enough that I kept sitting down which is not something I usually do at work.  I crawled into bed last night at seven-thirty and slept well until Jack joined me in the middle of the night.  He's got a cough and runny nose and he was so restless, fortunately I'm off for the next week.

Life goes on.  I said goodbye to a patient yesterday.  He's been coming for as long as I've worked in cancer care, thirteen years.  When I asked him how long he'd been coming, he told me that he was diagnosed with kidney cancer seventeen years ago and that the doc had only given him two years, max.  He was telling me about his use of baking soda to change his body pH, seems to be working for him.  He's eighty-one now and the cancer has finally spread to his bones and I'm guessing his liver too, from the colour of his skin, but he had a damn good run though and I'm happy for him.

Last week we put up a new blind in our family room which meant the curtains had to be taken down and washed, which meant the kitchen curtains were also taken down and washed.  And then I started washing windows and sills and floors.  The family room looks much better without dusty, dog hair filled venetians blinds.

My house is flithy due to the rain and mud and dog feet; it needs a good clean.  The dogs need walking. Supper needs to be sorted.  I think I'll turn on the radio and putter, see what gets done and what doesn't.





  

20 comments:

  1. Eighty one is a ripe old age for anyone, and certainly for a cancer patient! He must have had some good nurses. :)

    Olga's nails need trimming too. She used to walk so much the sidewalks would keep them filed down, but now that she's old she lies around a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a little research about baking soda as a treatment and apparently it's had some good results and the authors recommended more studies. Who knew?
      I've tried bribing Charlie with freeze dried liver, peanut butter and even tried a muzzle, but he will bite me, so I leave the nails for now.

      Delete
  2. Just keep breathing, girl ... you'll get to the finish line! 😉
    A vet may have to look at Charlie's toenail and to get them trimmed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet is not a huge fan of Charlie and I doubt they would want to do them. Charlie has trust issues (never thought I'd write that about a dog). He had five homes in 18 months before he came to us. He's quite an anxious dog.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I have a very, very good friend who was diagnosed with kidney cancer a few years ago. She is doing well on a maintenance therapy and has already achieved one goal which was to dance at her son's wedding and now her daughter is pregnant so she will get to be a grandmother and she is so happy. She, too, is a nurse and a very, very good one. Still working because she loves her job.
    Fourteen days, lady! That's nothing! I know it must be bittersweet thoug, as I've said before.
    Now- what are the odds that you're going to get what Jack has?
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack's had a cough and a runny nose for awhile now, a couple of weeks, so I'm not to nervous about catching it anymore. Makes him restless at night though.

      I'm glad your friend is doing so well. Kidney cancer and lung cancer have come a long way in the past decade.

      Delete
  4. I had a dog like that. He was 160 lbs, so I couldn't muscle him. His problem was fear panic, which is scary. Fortunately, he chewed his nails. I'm not kidding. Your patient lived a normal life span. Baking soda or whatever, it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie's nail finally got chewed off or just fell off and he seems fine. I wish he would chew his nails.

      Delete
  5. Looking at that picture of the poor dog°'s broken nail makes me flinch with pain. But then dogs are different to humans.
    You are almost there! Just a few more days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That toenail bled a fair bit too. I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and Charlie kept it clean too but it must have hurt so much, poor guy.
      Not long now:) I'm trying to fill out my pension and tax forms. I hate filling out forms, a lot.

      Delete
  6. HRH the cat would never let me trim her nails either but she had a big carpeted cat tree that she scratched on. And I would get the vet to trim them at her annual appointment. HRH was so cowed by the vet and the clinic that she would let them do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat can never go back to the vet, way too much stress for her. We've never cut her nails and I doubt she would let us.

      Delete
  7. I had a parrot for awhile, clipping his toe nails was horrible, he'd squirm, we'd draw blood, all of us were traumatized at the end. If he just would have held still it could have been over quickly. Too bad we can't talk to our pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parrots are smart, smart enough to make the whole thing an ordeal. Charlie is the same, I could be done with his toenails in a minute but no.

      Delete
  8. I don't remember the freezing, but I do remember the shot before my crown. It wasn't uncomfortable except for numbness the rest of the day. I looked like I'd had a stroke. Saying goodbye to patients and co-workers would be very difficult; your lives get intertwined. In cleaning projects, I've found that one thing leads to another so unless I have plenty of time and energy, I don't start. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having the furnace and ducts cleaned today which I'm sure will lead to more cleaning. Sigh.

      Delete
  9. I had a crown and a bridge done in my 20s and they're still going strong so no regrets there!!! And wow, just wow. You'll soon be retired! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your crown has lasted so long. I'm hoping this one will see me out:)

      Delete
  10. What a rite of passage--retirement in 14 short days! I would love to know more about how your patient used baking soda to change his body PH. I might try it, perhaps a more alkaline internal environment might help my own inflamed body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I know is what he told me. He mixed the baking soda into four litres of water and drank it for a week or two and then went back to plain water for awhile. He checked his urine pH daily to ensure he kept his pH at 7. He also had kidney cancer.

      Delete