Saturday, May 18, 2024


I wasn't feeling well this morning, achy with a mild sore throat and headache.  I was going to drive into Edmonton to get some cooking supplies for Asian food that I can't find in Sherwood Park, but I didn't bother.  I ended up returning some insoles for the big guy and finding two pairs of jeans for myself, that fit and flatter.  I couldn't figure out why I was looking for jeans so much until I realized I won't be wearing scrubs very often anymore and I like wearing jeans.

When I got home, I took a couple of advil and relaxed (sat on my ass, looking at my phone), until I felt better.  I still have a headache but I felt good enough to take the dogs for a walk at the dog park.  The dogs were happy, Charlie found a mud puddle, and I felt better after some fresh air.

Last week my girlfriend and I met up to have lunch and visit a greenhouse on the West End. This friend has multiple myeloma and was telling me how sick she was for the past four months.  She had pneumonia, needed antibiotics and at one point was peeing blood.  She didn't tell me any of this while it was happening, only once it was over.  I have told her countless time to call me and I can help but she's stubborn and hates to ask for help.  I'm not much different but I do force myself to call her when my depression is severe because she always makes me feel better.  

I don't know much about multiple myeloma; it's not a common type of cancer, although we do see a lot of patients with it because they all come for a central line, prior to their stem cell transplants.  I know almost nothing about the treatment or how it kills people, so I looked it up.  Two of the common causes of death in multiple myeoloma are pneumonia and kidney failure.  Fuck, she had both.  My friend's stem cell transplant was six or seven years ago and when this whole shit storm started, her oncologist had given her ten years.  

I never bring up the spectre of death, other than I told her that I don't want to lose her and then burst into tears last week.  I lost another friend to metastatic breast cancer.  She knew she had brain tumours, knew that she would die but chose to not think about, telling me it was how she protected herself.  There is no cure for multiple myeloma, only treatment that will delay the inevitable.  She is in denial because it's how we protect ourselves.

My friend has also been dealing with her sister-in-laws and her dead mother-in-law's will, and my friend has embraced the word cunt to describe these women, fucking cunts actually.  It's not my story to tell but I do agree with her that they are indeed cunts.  

Other things happening.  I had a patient on Thursday, two months younger than me with pancreatic cancer.  When he was diagnosed in February they performed surgery, opened him up and then closed him up.  The tumour had wrapped itself around a pancreatic artery and vein, making it inoperable.  He started to cry as he told me this and I asked him if I could hug him.  I gave him a hug and he just sobbed.

Later that day, I had a patient who was thirty-two years old and twenty-five weeks pregnant.  She had just been diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma.  She has started treatment and they will deliver the baby as soon as it's lungs are developed enough.  The next day, another man, the same age as me, with newly diagnosed metastatic cancer, whose doctor had not allowed him to discuss more than one problem at his doctor's appointment, something that delayed his diagnosis.  And then on Friday, one of our CT scanners was down, and patients were waiting for hours for their CT scans.  These scanners are the oldest in the province and our Health Minister and Premier play the fiddle as health care burns down to the ground.

A photo for Steve, taken in Vancouver.  I'm trying to branch out in my photography.



28 comments:

  1. I like how your photo contrasts the mural's old-timey subject matter with modern vehicles. Technically, both involve horsepower! Also, the Old West seems to have been much more psychedelic than we've been led to believe . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The part of Vancouver I was in had a lot of murals. It was quite beautiful. I never even thought about the juxtaposition of the cars and the horses.

      Delete
  2. I was going to remark on the contrast in the last photo too, but there isn't any point now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about when I took the photo. I was just trying to get the whole mural in frame.

      Delete
  3. Good grief, the mental load of your job is fierce. Love the mural, it has a "lucy in the sky with diamonds" vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most nursing is like this really, it only differs in degrees.

      Delete
  4. Your patients will miss you as you will them but retirement will be good for you.
    We have similar issues with government funding (or not) health care. It seems to be a universal problem. Yet the military gets money in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our military doesn't get money either here. I'm not sure what the answer is, lower our expectations? Die sooner? Death is inevitable, it's just a matter of how long we can delay it.

      Delete
  5. The grief is heavy some days. The mural reminds me of paint by numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how you are able to hold all of the grief. I guess that you've learned to shuttle it to a place where it can't hurt you. You'd have to!
    You're right about the mural- paint by numbers for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't figured out where to put the grief. For so many years I thought it was just my own grief that I carried, but it's not. I want to find a place to gently lay it down.

      Delete
  7. I now really know retirement will be good for you. My god, who wouldn't be depressed. On a bright note, I like the photo and the mural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I was depressed even before I went into nursing. The first time I was depressed, I was only eight years old.

      Delete
  8. I love the mural! It's great that you have a friend with whom you can share support, though it's got to be hard watching these slow-motion declines. (Then again, I guess we're all in a slow-motion decline! Which I find oddly comforting.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been friends for more than thirty years and I love her like a sister. I don't want to lose her, even knowing that I will.
      You've inspired me to try street photography. It makes me uncomfortable but it's good to stretch.

      Delete
  9. You are faced with both personal tragedies and the ones at work--such an overload of grief. I admire that you are there for people, even when it hurts. It's all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All we can do for anyone is to listen to their story.

      Delete
  10. You certainly have your share of seriously ill patients. For many years I edited papers for a study group researching liver and pancreatic cancer and there were times when it felt just overwhelming, and I "only" had to deal with life expectancy and mortality statistics. But you know how to handle it and soon you can take a breath and leave it be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. When you have a patient come in with pancreatic cancer, it feels like dead man/woman walking. It's very rare that they live very long.

      Delete
  11. How kind and appropriate of you to give the pancreatic cancer victim a much-needed hug. Was giving hugs part of your nurse training? Perhaps you had to practise giving hugs on rubber dummies with written assessment to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving hugs was definitely not a part of mu nurse's training, neither was it a part of my growing up. When I had children I decided that I wanted to hug my children, as my family were not huggers, since then I have been a hugger. I ask now because not everyone likes hugs but humans need human touch.

      I am concerned about your mention of rubber dummies. Is there something you need to share with us Mr. Pudding? LOL

      Delete
    2. With regard to your final remark: No Comment!

      Delete
  12. Lots of sadness today but the mural is a doozie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been in contact with so many suffering people, and wonder how I would cope. I admire you. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. That mural is beautiful. Your post was a good one for me to read today as I was feeling sorry for myself because I had three kidney stones removed on Monday and I have been very uncomfortable. Your description of all of the patients made me realize how lucky I am. I know it must be draining being a nurse and seeing this every day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much to carry.. wishing you well in your retirement with a lifting of some of this weight and your spirits along with that easing. A wonderful 'horsepower' photo, a good start to your move into more photography. But please keep writing, you do it so well. Please accept one of my best hugs through the ether.
    From a long-time Edmonton reader.

    ReplyDelete