Wednesday, April 17, 2024


 One last kick at the cat by mother nature; she does like to mess with Albertans.

Jack is home after spending a few days with his grandma while I was away, and one night with his mom.  The first night home he had a nightmare and woke up screaming that Huggy Wuggy had kidnapped him and was trying to take him to his mama's apartment.  Doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Gracie hasn't been working since the beginning of March.  She had a job for about two weeks and didn't tell anyone that she was let go or fired, not even her sister, although I think her sister doesn't ask outright (don't ask, don't tell).  The last two times we've dropped off Jack, Gracie's apartment has reeked of weed.  If it smells like that again, we won't be leaving him there.  She's supposed to be sober.  Her family's argument is that weed is legal.  So is alcohol.  She's supposed to be sober from all drugs when he's with her, not just alcohol.

Jack is happy to visit his mama but he doesn't like spending the night there.  We'll see how this weekend goes and then I think I'll contact Jack's lawyer, who is watching out for Jack's rights.  Nobody in Gracie's family likes to spend time with her but they're making a five year old spend time with her.  We have court again in July and I'm hopeful enough will have gone wrong in Gracie's life by then, that Jack can just be with us permanently.  I can hope.

At daycare, Jack is learning his letters now and he and poppa are spending time after supper learning how to read.  I caught the two of them last night, reading.  I love these guys.


Not much else going on.  I have thirty-one days, probably less, of work left before my retirement date.  My daughter is coming out to cater my retirement party which means great food and I get to visit with her again.  Miss Katie will get to see her sister too, which she loves.

My son turned forty on Monday.  He texted me the next day to say that he had been laid off and could he have four hundred dollars, and he also said that I don't care and that he was going to block me, again.  Except I don't text him or call him, he's always the one who calls and texts.  He's doing the same with his sister now.  Oh joy.  I always hope that he'll change, but not so far.

I broke off a piece of an old filling when I was in Vancouver.  I saw the dentist yesterday and I'm going to have a crown, which scared the crap out of me, but she is a wonderful young woman who explained everything to me in detail and I'm okay with it now.  I'm getting it down right away, before I lose my benefits when I retire.  

I also had an appointment with Miss Katie's psychiatrist and apparently her ECG was fine, no Long QT interval showed up.  He did order another ECG to confirm and we also decided Katie needs to go back on birth control pills to stop her periods and prevent the PMS that she's been having.  He also suggested that new staff not take care of Katie first thing in the morning, which had caused an episode of severe head banging by Katie.  He said, "How would we feel if there was a stranger in our bedroom when we woke up in the morning?".  I contacted her house manager and he will make sure that doesn't happen going forward.  

Right now, the sun is trying to break through the cloud cover.  It's icy as hell, so no dog walks today.


23 comments:

  1. That is an adorable photo. Lots of activity happening for you. It sounds like mostly good. Jack hopefully will be put into your sole care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he ends up with us permanently, finally. Those two guys have such a strong bond.

      Delete
  2. I imagine you're counting the minutes until retirement! Yes, get all your dental work done before then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my eyes checked and new glasses too. Ticking off my boxes:)

      Delete
  3. Oh, those two sweet fellas! I just love that so much.
    Definitely don't let Jack spend the night if Gracie's apartment reeks of weed. She has no legal right to fight that.
    Spring will be there soon. And you will have a new crown! You deserve a golden one with diamonds and rubies in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was terrified of the word crown because I didn't understand what it was. The dentist was so good at explaining things to me. Fun fact, my new dentist is the daughter of one of my coworkers and I didn't realize it.

      Delete
  4. Love the photo of the boys reading--such love and comfort in it. You have an excellent point about weed and alcohol being legal, but that Gracie is supposed to be sober from all drugs. The older I get and the more I see, the more I abhor both those substances. Retirement, ah! You deserve it. You'll get some time to yourself! I was terrified to get my second crown; it was so easy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely wrong about what was involved in a crown, it doesn't sound so bad. Guess I'll see. I'm so tired of alcohol and drugs, they get my fur up.

      Delete
  5. 31 days and counting - yippee! I am glad Katie's doctor gave such great advice, along with your dentist. As for Jack's mom's family - it is a shame, they don't want to spend time with her but think Jack ought to. They don't even want to take care of him. You've already shown you are willing to take it on full time - so why don't they just allow that to happen. Hoping the next date in July brings a final resolution to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracie's mom is worried that Gracie will kill herself or try to kill herself if she's loses custody of Jack.

      Delete
    2. I can only imagine that is a heavy thought to carry, but I wish they would think about how Jack is harmed continuously being in this environment.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like Gracie's family is willing to sacrifice this beautiful boy for their daughter?! Not an option!! I saw this in my grandson's father's family and I decided he would not be harmed that way on my watch. That sort of harm goes on for generations. Mutual love and feeling safe is in that picture of Jack and his poppa. Let it be so for the rest of his life. x0x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack's maternal side of the family don't seem to understand the harm that Gracie is doing. I don't know how to make them understand either.

      Delete
  7. Between Jack's lawyer and Katie's psychiatrist it looks as if things might get better all round. Here's hoping that common sense prevails and you get permanent custody of Jack. It's not as if Gracie will never see him again but he will have a safe place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had many crowns over the decades. The technology has come along in that time. Since I am a dental wimp, I always request "numb to the hairline" levels of numbing. After that, it's not so bad. If you have a night guard, make sure it still fits after. Jack should not be in a cannibis infested house, it's not good for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrified of dentists too but this young woman was so good at calming my fears. Gracie's family all think weed is just fine.

      Delete
  9. Well, as always you have your plate full, so hopefully all these events will be easier to manage once you retire. I hope a psychological assessment of Jack's nightmares and fears can help him to regain the life of a child, not a client who gets moved from one person's claim to another. Clearly, these times/nights have an impact that could be detrimental in the long run.
    Good luck with the crown, it will work our ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack has good days and bad days, mostly good days though. I'm his lawyer can help in the long run, getting Jack what Jack wants, not what others want.

      Delete
  10. I currently have 3 crowns on bottom molars! They have been there for a long, long time!
    I am looking forward to the blog that states you and Poppa are the sole carers of young Jack! If Gracie does anything even more stupid then what she already does ... Not your fault! And, don't take anything she does as a fault you own, because you do not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I stopped blaming myself for Gracie and my son's behavior a few years ago. Quite liberating.
      I'm looking forward to a long term solution to the many, many old fillings in my teeth. No fluoridated water in the sixties and seventies.

      Delete
  11. Lovely picture of The Big Guy and The Little Guy. Considering that The Big Guy does not have any blood connection with Jack, he seems to be doing his best to be a great male role model while also giving much needed love to the little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big guy is a wonderful role model; blood doesn't matter to him and I am so thankful he is our lives.

      Delete