Sunday, March 17, 2024


Two weeks ago, we lost a colleauge, Jenny, to pancreatic cancer, she was only forty-six.  She not only touched all of her patient's lives, but those of her co-workers as well.  I did not know her well, only in passing to say hi, but she visited us often in diagnostic imaging during the course of her treatment and we would talk briefly.  I also posted funnies for her on instagram because I do believe that laughter is the best medicine and she told me that she enjoyed them.

I just finished reading "Hello Beautiful" by Ann Napolitano, a book I would highly recommend.  It's beautiful and sad and hopeful.  I read this paragraph last night, near the end of the book and it made me think of Jenny.

"When an old person dies," Kent said, "even if that person is wonderful, he or she is still somewhat ready, and so are the people who loved them.  They're like old trees, whose roots have loosened in the ground.  They fall gently.  But when someone like your aunt Sylvie dies - before her time - her roots get pulled out and the ground is ripped up.  Everyone nearby is in danger of being knocked over."

Jenny's death, even though we knew it was coming, knocked us all over a little.

12 comments:

  1. Thats sad, I've just a phone to tell me my friend of 63 years has died, I was a bridesmaid at her wedding. I feel so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so very sad. In my last post I talked about a young colleague with small children who has lung cancer. I don't think it's going well. "Hello, Beautiful" was one of my favorite reads of 2023--such a wonderful and insightful book. When his basketball friends were hunting for him, I was overwhelmed with emotion. The characters really drew me in, and I felt such a part of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful and accurate way of describing the death of someone before their time. A week ago a good friend of mine diagnosed with cancer died using MAiD. I'm glad she was in control and had the legal right to decide about her own life. But it's still hard for those of us who must say goodbye. She was perfectly fine at Christmas (as far as she and we knew) and now she's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much too early, so much life to live! My mother in law died aged 67 of pancreatic cancer, two months between diagnosis and death. It's a mean bastard that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so very sad for those who knew and loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very young. It would be crushing. The paragraph says it well. I will look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely quote - I will have to read that book. But it's right, some people are taken way too young. RIP Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is always extra sad when someone dies who had devoted their life to others. If there were a God, he would make sure that such people were not on the death list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every death we care about takes a chunk out of our skin. At the very least. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's sad. I'm sorry to hear it. That book has been very popular in our library!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 37paddington: I’m sorry for the loss of your colleague. Forty six is so young. I’ve been looking at Hello Beautiful and wondering whether to pick it up. Now I will, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete