Thursday, February 29, 2024


I went to the first meeting of our new workplace book club.  I had a lovely time.  We had read "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus, and much to my surprise and delight, we talked about the book, not exclusively, but a lot.  We also talked about being a woman, being a mother, being a wife, gender and patriarchy.  One of the women is one of our radiologists and her husband is a family doc.  They have a sharing agreement of total hours worked inside and outside the home, sounds like a good compromise and it keeps their family of six afloat.  I was also home by 8pm which was very nice.

I had promised the dogs a walk today, as yesterday was way too cold.  Charlie has delicate feet and can't handle much colder than -10C.  Right now it's only -17C, so I'll wait.  It's supposed to warm up but who knows.  Certainly not me.

Because Jack has been having a hard time with life and daycare, I picked him up early and we went to McDonalds so he could play at the playplace.  On the way there, we talked about one of his teachers in OSC (Out of School Care), which the preschoolers are transitioning to.  He told me that this particular teacher had told him that if he can't listen, she would lock him in the bathroom.  That's strike two because on Tuesday something similar happened that left him in tears.  Jack loves going to daycare but not now.  I have emailed the owner of the daycare and will talk to her later today when I pick Jack up.  I understand that there are cultural differences, all the women are new immigrants, but this is not acceptable.  

I'm off today, using up holidays before my retirement and I'm just putzing around, deep cleaning some things, moving plants, baking muffins, shredding crap, prepping supper and hopefully walking the dogs.  In the forecast, it looks like more snow which means it will warm up.  Just hoping that happens before I need to pick up hubby and Jack.

Update.  Everything is fine at the daycare.  The owner asked the ladies in the OSC to stop using candy as a motivator and Jack was making up some stories.  He was never told he would be locked in a bathroom.  We've never had a problem in four years with this daycare, which is why it was such a shock.  Lesson learned, almost five year olds make up stories.  Now that I think of it, he had all the staff at the daycare convinced that we all had gone to Disneyland over the Christmas holidays.  

10 comments:

  1. How great to have a bookclub! Sounds like there was excellent sharing and conversation.
    Yeah. Jack doesn't need that kind of crap. Good for you for addressing the problem. You are the best advocate that Jack could have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book on hold at the online library. It's a long waiting list. Neither Jack nor you need that kind of thing happening at daycare. I hope it is easily resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "Lessons in Chemistry" and my Book Club had an excellent discussion about it too. Doesn't Jack have enough stress in his life without daycare problems? Argghh. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but be angry about what that woman said to Jack. As if he needs another adult in his life who will be afraid of. Good for you for speaking up. I actually had an 8th grade science teacher who would put misbehaving kids in the closet as punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the daycare owner takes action and trains the staff better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Day Care needs to take action against any abusive Employees...no Culture is a legitimate excuse to engage in abuse of a Child. Jack has enough to deal with... I'm glad he is able to communicate with trusted Adults anything happening to him... Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Explain to the daycare owner what Jack is dealing with and, hopefully, they will be more compassionate in dealing with Jack! I wish Jack never had to go anywhere but with you and his Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your update on the preschool and Jack reminded me of my nephew when he was in grade school. He was about 6 or 7 and kept going in to see the school counselor to the point that my sister in law was called with concerns regarding his home life. One of the stories he told was that his dad had left the family and rode his bike to go live with our parents. (they live about 15 miles apart) When confornted to why he was making up all these tales it was because when he went to see the counselor she gave him baseball cards!
    He was and sometime still is one to embelish his stories when tell them...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know that Jack wasn't being threatened with locked in a bathroom, but also a bit worrying as to why he would think that up. Does his mother maybe do that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was maybe four years old, I was repeatedly locked in the broom cupboard of the preschool. When I mentioned to my mother that I didn't like the smell and she figured out the whole story, I had had my last day there. The thing is that my four year old self accepted this because the teacher sent me there. But to this day, 62 years later, I have vivid memories of the cupboard and the smell. Don't let this happen to any child. Incarceration is never educational.

    ReplyDelete