Wednesday, September 13, 2023


 One of my favorite photos of Jack.  

We went to court yesterday, things have been put off for two weeks because Gracie hasn't responded to our application yet.  She has an appointment today with a family court counsellor.  We sat and listened in court yesterday to other grandmas mostly, and one young aunt and uncle, asking to be allowed to keep children safe from their parents.  We are not alone.

I also talked to Gracie's mom and she still supports our application, although she thinks it should be for six months instead of a year.  I don't think six months is long enough.  You can fake it for six months, a year shows if you're serious or not.  I reassured her that I have no desire to take Jack away from his mom, I just want him in a safe, stable home.  We will not block Gracie from seeing Jack.  Jack loves his mom and she loves him.  Gracie's mom also worries that Jack will feel responsible for taking care of Gracie as he gets older.  I told her that's going to happen anyway I think.  She will always be a burden to her family, including her son.

The big guy finally opened up to me and told me about his grief and anger over his father's death.  His family can never be what he wants it to be, just as my family isn't.  My siblings don't have the ability to have a close relationship with each other, except for my twin sisters.  I've finally come to accept that and I'm not angry anymore.  They are who they are and I can decide when I will and won't let them be a part of my life.  I would prefer to have close relationships with them, but that's not going to happen.

My husband is remembering and grieving all the things his father said and did.  My father in law was like my father in some ways.  At that time, a good father made sure his family was provided for.  That was a father's only real job.  Boys were raised to be "men".  Don't show emotion.  Don't cry.  That's not good enough.  Do better.  You're not enough.  The irony is that my father in law left Holland because of the very same issues with his own father.

Added to that was an angry mother who just cut people, who disagreed with her, out of her life.  My mum wasn't like that, thank goodness.  My mum could be slightly manipulative, but I never doubted that she loved me.  My husband has been hurt over and over by his family, and especially by his mother, but hanging onto that anger and sadness can only hurt him now.  I hope he can let go of that anger eventually.  It's so painful for him to carry that anger inside of him.

My depression is slowly lifting.  I no longer feel dead inside.  It's an awful feeling.  I go through the motions of life but feel dead inside as I do everything.  Nothing good can ever happen again when I am depressed and I am always so thankful when it dissipates.  I don't know if most people understand how hard it is to pretend to be "not dead inside".  It takes an enormous amount of energy to just get out of bed, shower, go to work to care for others, come home to care for my family, all while feeling dead inside.  It's hard to smile, to make small talk, to look people in the eye, to pretend I'm okay.  There is only darkness and death when depression comes to stay.  The black dog is well named.

I've cried a lot this past month but I no longer feel fragile.  I can do hard things and I have done many hard things.  I can also still laugh, which I am deeply thankful for.  

I watched a video of an English comedian, thanks to Steve.  I had a very good laugh this morning.  Here's Russell Howard.

Laughter is the best medicine.  Me and a coworker having fun almost ten years ago.  


Update:  My husband spoke with a family court counsellor about Jack and Gracie.  The family court counsellor had just finished talking to Gracie about the case.  The court counsellor recommended we find a lawyer who specializes in family law to help us deal with this, to ensure we don't have procedural errors which could come back to bite us in the ass, going forward.  She also said that Gracie assured her that Gracie has the full support of her sister and mother (the two other guardians).  There was other stuff too but I can't be bothered typing it all out. Sigh.

11 comments:

  1. I'm really happy you are feeling better. I know depression up close and personal and understand what you say. That photo of Jack is beyond adorable! I sure hope you get the guardianship resolved soon, you don't need this hanging over you. That photo of you and a coworker is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowee, that's some bra! I'm glad that the floodgates of emotion have opened for the BG. It's hard when our families and the people in them aren't what we wanted, needed or envisioned. We can process and deal with the reality and move forward or let it fester and bring ourselves down with regrets. If onlys. As you know, I'm dealing with much of this myself so although it's hard to read about the pain and struggles of others, it makes me feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your depression is lifting. I hope better days are ahead. Families and relationships can be so, so difficult. Best wishes to your husband as he goes through the grieving process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have often thought and even said that people who suffer from depression and anxiety and yet who manage to go out into the world and do what must be done are deserving of more acting awards than anyone onstage or on the screen. We are masters of that craft but boy, after awhile, it's not tenable. I'm really glad that you're feeling more alive again. Go for the light!
    I wish your husband would get some counseling to help him process some of this grief and anger. I understand where it comes from and he has every right to own it but you're right- after awhile it can become poisonous.
    I think that family court counselor gave you good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news that you are feeling better, I agree with you, six months is not long enough, one year is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of Jack is beyond adorable.
    I don't like to hear that you sometimes feel dead inside because naturally it worries me sick, but I'm glad you're telling us and that you are able to keep functioning until things lighten up again. I hope one day you won't suffer with this particular malady anymore. Please don't ever give up hope that there is help out there somewhere, somehow. Meanwhile, allow me to admire your fortitude and stamina. You are a dragon, lady! With Everready batteries. I may need to request lessons sometime.
    These dysfunctional family traumas and scars are so hard to erase from the present. Talking to a good counsellor helps, though, I'm sure; and also takes courage to do. I hope the Big Fella will reach out to someone. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack, Gracie is just the gift that keeps on giving. That is an adorable picture of early Jack. It's good that the depression is lifting, that has to be so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand the numbness that comes with depression. You are right in saying it takes energy to just go about the day. I am glad to hear you are coming out of the depths. Hopefully it will be a while before you descend again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoping for better days for your little trio. Glad the Big Guy is sharing his feelings with you, as I am sure that is so helpful. As for Gracie- yes, a legal professional would be most helpful. It is so sad, she does NOT have the support of her mom and sister - they just enable her. To her that must feel supportive but to you who do all the legwork - it is otherwise. Also, she has had all three plus years of Jack's life to deal with stuff, and she has not. She is sick, which I understand. But really suggesting 6 months when they will be minimally present is rich. It's sad to read your details of their lack of involvement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the bra photo! "You have our full support." LOL!

    Your husband opening up about his father is part of his processing the death, I'm guessing. It's great that he is able to talk with you about it. I'm glad your own depression has been better, too.

    And glad you liked Russell Howard! Now I kind of wish I'd gone to see his show!

    ReplyDelete