Saturday, May 6, 2023


Last night after supper, the big guy took Jack for a walk around the block and he noticed black smoke in the not so far distance.  Because I'm nosey, we put Jack in his pyjamas and loaded him into the car so that we could go see what was happening.

This spring has been hot, windy and dry.  The winds have been ferocious and make me quite grumpy.  There are fires burning all over Alberta.  A week ago my manager and her husband lost ten acres to a fire caused by assholes in the next field over.  I don't know how much damage was done to their neighbor's property, but the bill from fire services was going to be $80,000 for the neighbor.  



We drove towards the dog park which is 6 kilometres away but were turned east by police.  We then drove down highway 21 and again got turned east by roadblocks.  At one point we could see flames crossing highway 21 and it looked like the dog park was going up in flames.


This morning we drove to the dog park and it was spared thankfully.  The fire which looked close enough to touch last night was in fact 1 kilometre south of the dog park; the flames must have been huge.  No houses or barns were destroyed, although a lot of people were evacuated.  The fire itself burned a narrow strip through farmland.



I feel like this tree right now, still standing, but surrounded by scorched earth.  Work is busy, my knee hurts a lot, which is making my toes spasm.  Jack is with us six nights a week again and he's not spending time with his mom alone anymore.  He is also very suspicious of his grandma and auntie, worried that they might be taking him to his mama's.  When they come to pick him up, he hides under the coffee table now.  I wonder again if I should be taking him to see a therapist.

This morning he asked us why he has so many parents.  Last night he asked me if his dad was dead.  I thought raising my own kids was hard, raising a grandchild is next level.





10 comments:

  1. From what I'm seeing on Twitter, the Canadian fires are bad. It's really early for this. Sorry about the knee, it's always something and it's never good. What on earth do you tell a four year old about his parents? This is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, that was a lot of drama. I find smoke from fires hard to handle, and I would not drive near one.
    Every time you write about the little boy, I am so glad he has you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many out-of-control wildfires going on right now in Alberta! I hope we get a downpour soaking of rain soon to slow things down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it were me, I would get that boy to a therapist! What a blessing Jack has you and his grandpa for the stability he so sorely needs! I wish you could get sole custody and raise that boy as your own boy, rather than just your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you don't have a bad summer with fires. They are terrible.
    I think a therapist is a great idea - if nothing else you will learn some tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That makes me nervous. We had a decent fire season last year but a horrible one the year before. I'm pained by what's happening with Jack; it must be frightening from his perspective. He has the security with you but he knows that the other people in his life can't be trusted. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fire is so scary. So beyond our control. That must be sort of how Jack feels about his mother. Heartbreaking. Yes. Possibly a therapist would be a good idea.
    I am sorry your knee is hurting so much that your toes spasm. This cannot be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been anywhere near a fire like that. It would terrify me. Jack.....that poor boy. I think therapy may help. What a mess for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very scary fire. Fires are very unpredictable. I hope you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete