Sunday, May 7, 2023




Katie can't talk; she's non-verbal.  She spends most of her time and energy, trying to connect with others.  She uses her body, her eyes, her smile, her hands, gestures, behaviors and sign language to communicate.  Because Katie is mentally disabled, her knowledge of sign language is limited to that of a young child, kind of.  Katie understands spoken English just fine but she has a limited ability to express herself, in part because I crapped out on teaching her more sign, for many, many reasons, some of which included things like time, work, personal safety and a limited attention span.  Because Katie is mentally disabled she got stuck in early childhood but not completely.  She's also a young woman with years of experience, lots of hormones and sadly, trauma as well.  What she lacks though is abstract thought, her world is concrete. 

Despite Katie's constant attempts to communicate, to connect with others, her inner life remains a mystery to me and perhaps even to herself.  I wonder what stories she tells herself. We need language to explore our inner workings I think, to tell our story, even to ourselves.

I'm imagine most people in the world feel like this; we want connections to others and even more importantly, we want to be seen and accepted.  But what happens when we don't even accept ourselves?  When we hide parts of ourselves?  When we decide that parts of us are unacceptable?  How deep do we bury those parts?  

Maybe we're like closets, overstuffed with useless stuff from our lives.  That time we were told we were too loud, that's at the back of the closet and we don't like to look at that, makes us cry.  That time you laughed when somebody else was bullied, instead of you and you just felt relief that it wasn't you being bullied and then you felt guilty and thought you were a horrible person.  That time when you hadn't slept for weeks and your husband was always gone and you thought about smothering your children and then yourself.  Or that time when you hated even the sound of your mother breathing because you knew she was getting old and was going to die and leave you.  Or that time when you were drunk, in a parking lot and kicked that glass which broke and scattered broken glass everywhere.  The snipes you took at your sister, making your best friend wait (all the time), lies you've told, people you've hurt both on purpose and inadvertently, and your anger.  

Or what about that anger and grief from all the hurtful things your family has done to you.  Do you hang onto that?  What if the anger that once served to protect us, now only keeps us apart from others?  What if the trust that was lost as a child never returns because it hurt too much and who wants to go through that again?  What if we spend so much time protecting ourselves from people that we no longer let anybody in?  Do we just sit behind a wall of hurt and anger and shame (a wall that was built as a child to keep us safe), keeping the world and everybody else out?  Is it better to be alone?  Is hiding from the world and from ourselves the answer?

Or can we start to clean out the closet?  Throw out the shit that doesn't fit anymore?  You're not really shy now?  Get rid of that.  All that anger you had, it was actually grief for all the things that hurt you (babysitting for your sister while your drunk brother in law talked for three hours on the phone about killing himself), your drunk husband (the only reason I drink so much is because I can't stand being here), or your very unhappy husband (I only wanted two children, after Katie's birth), your dad shaking in anger, being bullied, being sexually assaulted (in the park, at work, in my own marriage).  Perhaps it's time to let go of these things, time to forgive because holding onto my anger hasn't done me any good and it's taking up so much space in my closet (life) that it doesn't leave much room for good stuff.

And really, I want the good stuff, but to get to the good stuff, I have to look at all the stuff in that closet, which is a big job, a painful job, but a necessary job because I'm tired of all that shit that doesn't fit, that doesn't serve any purpose anymore, except to keep me apart and scared and angry and alone.

What if I can be kind to myself?  If I can forgive myself for the hurt I've caused others?  If I can accept that young people are selfish and that's okay?  What if I can accept my impatience and my judgement and see that they served me once but that it's time to let go of them, and not only that but accept my anger because a lot of bad stuff happened and that anger helped to protect me and sometimes there are good reasons to get angry (but I don't need to be angry all the time).  What if I can let others in to my heart?  

What if my heart grew three sizes?  Would it hurt?  Or would it just be wonderful?





16 comments:

  1. This is amazingly deep, complex and hard, this stuff you have put on the table. But it is the stuff that life is made of and I believe, and know it to be true, that we can keep growing and learning and loving others and ourselves in a more forgiving and generous way. Beautifully expressed my friend, just beautiful.

    Thank you for the incredible insight into your Katie’s life too. It brought an all new perspective. Gave me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written and full of insight and wisdom. All I can say is that we humans are extremely complex and that there is so much that has happened to us that makes us who we are. And of course genetics must be considered too. If I could trash two things I think they might be guilt and shame. I've often thought I probably have enough of those for me and five sociopaths to all have a normal amount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more we can let go, the more we can be free. I wish you all possible success in that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you know where you need to go. How to get there is another matter. I think you sum it up well in your second-to-last paragraph. Growing your heart will probably be both painful AND wonderful. (And we all need to grow our hearts, I suspect. It's not just you.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many thought-provoking questions for which I wish I had wise answers. We grow and stretch from everything, perhaps the most from the negatives. We all want to avoid them, but they are inevitable. I liken parts of my life "trip" to carrying baggage; how much weight can I manage? I need to pick and choose what I can carry in my suitcase and decide what items suit me best or keep me comfortable. Because if I let that suitcase get too heavy or try to load it with too much "stuff," I won't go anywhere or I'll hurt myself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all have some guilt and shame (I know I do) but you express yourself so well. Let go of that guilt. Time to love yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear woman, so much of this speaks to me. The stuff that builds up in our lives that we don't want to handle and push back, the stuff that we think we cannot handle and then all the stuff that we definitely have to cope with, no matter what.
    You are facing your stuff, your demons, your fears so honestly and I have enormous respect for that. I wish I could tell you to your face what a great job you are doing.

    What I learned along my way is that more often than I think/thought, I have/had a choice and that whatever stops/stopped me from making that choice was myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful words. You have encapsulated what so many of us feel but don't realise it. I do hope you can grow your heart and I shall be digging deep into my closet now that you have reminded what is there. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're on to something. Something important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My closet needs a deep clean. Sooner rather than later

    ReplyDelete
  11. As for Katie, some people's minds work with words or an inner voice. Others work through images and colors. We do not all think the same. Perhaps the lack of language does not hinder the world in her mind. I wish everone was more concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very Transparent and Thought provoking Post my Friend. We are all a sum of what has happened to and around us, yet, our Reaction to it and our Perception of it is vital too. A very Old Wise Jewish Friend who was a Holocaust Survivor once said something to me that I kept with me forever, knowing I never would experience the levels of abuse he endured and Survived. He said the one thing the Nazis could not take from him, was his Attitude, HE ALONE chose that and how he would respond to anything that happened to him in this Life. Sam was one of the most Joyful and least Bitter Human Beings I ever met, always Smiling, always compassionate towards others becoz he said there really were no "Others", and that Human Needs are pretty basic regardless of the Human Being and how they may have turned out. I think about things like you do, about those with Profound Disabilities that Isolate them completely from having whole Relationships... I cannot even Imagine what that must be like? Another Blogger who has a severely Developmentally Disabled Adult Daughter once said her Daughter, who is now almost 30, has NEVER had a Friend... most people don't even acknowledge her or her existence and since she is non-responsive, what does go on in her Mind, we'll never know, since she cannot express any of it. Katie's World being Concrete and not Abstract, like Bathwater said, could be more Positive in how she Reacts to the World around her than we might Think? Sometimes it's the Doubt that plagues those of us with more range of Thought, that is why Children seem so much more Innocent, they haven't yet corrupted their views of the World with more range of Thought and they move thru Experiences differently than Adults. They Skip as they Move thru Life sometimes, regardless of how rough that Life might be for some of them, I can't remember when the last time was I ever saw an Adult doing that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I think if everyone concentrated on Growing Our Hearts, wouldn't the World be a much better place? I keep trying to Grown Mine and I know you're doing the same my Friend... we're all a Work in Progress.

      Delete
  13. I don't believe you have to be especially religious to forgive ... forgive those who have wronged you in any manner! And, forgive yourself for anything and everything that comes to your mind that has held you captive ... and then ... release all that stuff! Just let it all go ... easier said then done and a daily practice until you actually feel free from it all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's good that you have this blog to let out some of the tension, the misgivings and the confusion. The road you have had to travel has often been a hard one. You should be very proud of yourself that you have managed to hold it all together, still hooked on the joy that life can bring. Not all the time but sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've had a lot of disappointments in your life; we all have, I guess, but some more than others. I think you're on the right track when you say the best thing to do is take a look at the past and then let it go. Life was never going to be a dance down Easy Street, much as I, for one, expected it to be and still, in a way, do. I've read all the previous comments and the one that sticks with me is the story of the Holocaust survivor who went through hell and still manages to be kind and compassionate, which is something I find you do, too. I hope you are just as kind and compassionate to yourself; that is the ticket. xoxo Kate

    ReplyDelete