Monday, January 9, 2023


There is very little going on here.  I got out to the dog park twice last week which was heaven.  Jack spent a few days with his aunt and Grandma; he didn't see his mama while he was with them.  Gracie has managed to piss off her mom and her sister, so they didn't want to deal with her either.

Jack was exhausted when he came home and out of sorts yesterday.  I took out Miss Katie by myself yesterday and while I was out, my hubby and Jack were playing with lego, for three hours.  Jack told my husband, casually, that he doesn't like his mama.  It breaks my heart that a three year old has to deal with such complex issues and feelings.  Your mama is supposed to be your safe place when you're a child, and as I write this, I realize there are many children in this world, for whom that is not true.

Last night, he was still tired and told me that he didn't love me.  I said that was fine, I still loved him.  Then he said he didn't like me and again I said that was fine, and that I still loved him.  Then later he said he loved me and poppa.  He uses love like a weapon and I'm guessing that comes from Gracie.  She's always asking him if he loves her.  It's her job to love him, not the other way around.  He's three years old!

I briefly texted with my son last week because I wanted to ask him if he was okay with us going ahead to petition the court for day to day parenting.  He supports us doing this he said.  I also asked him if he was sober and he said yes which suprised me, no alcohol and no weed, but that it was a daily battle not to use.  His honesty surprised me.  He's taking care of his other son every weekend when his wife works, despite her calling the police on him.  I told him I was proud of him and he said, not yet.  Another surprise.  I still hope.

Still life with lego.




23 comments:

  1. Continue hoping and loving ... ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack's statements break my heart. I'm so glad he has you and your husband, and his other grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew my grandparents and there were no aunt, uncles or cousins nearby. Maybe that would have mitigated my dad's anger and made life easier. I hope we do that for Jack.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you son is working his program and that's good! Wishing him strength and success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I was quite shocked by his honesty. I can't remember the last time he was honest with me, before puberty, maybe. And thank you.

      Delete
  4. It's early but your son sounds sincerely wanting to be clean. Jack has been harmed by his mother, no news to you. I don't know if it helps, but I had a monster for a mother. My loving grandmother is who saved me. You and your husband are that to Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote about what a mother is supposed to be, I thought of you and realized that not all mothers are a safe place. I'm glad you had your grandmother and that she saved you.

      Delete
  5. We would all like to think that mothers represent the truest and best sort of love and protection. But we all know, that's a fantasy. Thank all the gods that be that Jack has you and his poppa.
    May your hope in your son be given strength daily through his continued sobriety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your mom didn't keep you safe either. We have to do better as a species don't we?
      I hope he stays sober too:)

      Delete
  6. Sad about the dynamic Jack has with Mama...he is an astute Child. Glad your Son is surprising you in good ways. Never give up Hope my Friend...I waited patiently for decades for my Adult Loved Ones to make positive changes...it will be a lifelong day to day Battle for your Son. Acknowledge that for him is a positive change. Dawn...The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. Jack notices that he mom doesn't look at him much when she does video calls with him and doesn't have much desire to talk to her. The last two nights he's said he doesn't want to talk to her.

      Delete
  7. Good on your son, for taking the first steps. Here's hoping he sticks with it. Everything thing with Gracie is so hard, I worry about Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time my son has been honest with me in decades. As for Jack, we do our best to keep him safe.

      Delete
  8. Hope, tempered with some skepticism. Your son is sounding much more honest and realistic which is a positive. I think Jack is testing you. He's trying to make sure he's safe and that your love won't be yanked away from him or used as a weapon. Poor little guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack wants to make sure that we will love him, no matter what, and we will. And my son, honesty is a huge step for him.

      Delete
  9. I like the "Still Life With Lego" photograph. So ordinary and yet special because you noticed it. I think your responses to Jack were just right - reassuring him that he can rely on the steadfastness of your love for him even when he tests it in his own childish way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids love to test their adults, will you still love me if I....?

      There are little bits of toys scattered all over the house. They make me smile.

      Delete
  10. I remember the time and place when my daughter casually told me that she thinks she doesn't love me any more. She was 14 and angry about something or other or maybe even everything. We often talk about this and no longer sob nor laugh about it. A learned friend explained it thus: She had to try this out, and she had to do this with the person closest to her. We love each other to this day.
    I hope so much for you that your son is on a good path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are always hardest on those we love because we know/hope that they will always love us, even out most difficult selves.

      Delete
  11. It's very encouraging that your son is apparently being honest with you about his struggle. I can't imagine asking a three-year-old child about love. As if they have any idea what that is at that age! Jack is probably just testing to see what kinds of responses he gets. Your answers were spot-on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracie has a huge hole in her that she wants Jack to fill. He can't and it's not his job.

    ReplyDelete