Friday, December 16, 2022


I'm busy this morning in the kitchen, prepping Christmas dinner which we're having this Sunday instead of next Sunday.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a big bird arrive at one of the bird feeders.  I looked up and spotted this Northern Flicker.  The photo is not great but the bird was so beautiful.

I hate cooking all day when we're having a big meal and people over, so I cook my turkey ahead of time and it makes my life so much easier.  The gravy is made too, as well as the mashed potatoes, and the dessert.  I follow Ina Garten's recipe for make ahead turkey.


I finished sewing the topping of the quilt I'm making for myself.  I started to quilt it together but I'm not sure I like it.  I may take the stitching out and start over with a different pattern.  You can see the quilt stitching in the top left hand corner.  I love the colours of this quilt though and I used up a lot of scraps.


My hubby and I have decided to reapply for day to day parenting of Jack for the next year.  One of the big problems for Gracie last time we went to court was the fact that we had applied for day to day parenting and it would last until he turned eighteen.  I didn't know that at the time, the judge explained it to us.  She didn't want that so perhaps a year will be more palatable to her.  I doubt it but, whatever.

Jack went to his grandma's on Sunday and stayed until Wednesday afternoon, when his aunt dropped him off back at our place.  He was exhausted and owly.  He had gone to Gracie's daycare, where she works because he can't stay overnight at her place yet.  When I put him in the tub he complained of a sore bum.  I gave him a quick bath, because he was so cranky, so I didn't get a good look at his bum.  When I went to put a diaper on him for bed, he had a bad diaper rash, again.  When I cleaned his bum and applied cream he screamed and cried.  This child has sensitive skin, but it's fine when things are dealt with in a timely manner.

I texted the other grandma and let her know.  There were a few fucks in that text message.  She said that his bum was a little sore in the morning because he'd had some diarrhea but they'd put cream on his bum and he was fine when he went to daycare.  I believe her.  It was Gracie's literal job to clean his bum and take care of him and she didn't, or someone else didn't.  Gracie's mom is so angry and frustrated with her daughter, as are most people who have to deal with Gracie.

I understand that she loves Jack and I know that he loves her but love is not enough.  She can't care for herself, let alone another human being.  I would never stop him from seeing her, but she can't care for him and nobody else wants to.  I go back to work March 1st so I want some kind of plan going forward with regards to daycare and where Jack will be staying most of the time.  

I told someone else this morning that I often feel conflicted about doing this, and I worry about it a lot.  What if he resents us when he grows up because we didn't let his mom and dad raise him?  What if she hurts him if we don't step in?  What will happen with my son going forward?  He's out of jail and has a job now but he's still a dick.  So many what ifs that I have no control over. Do our best right now I guess.  Nobody knows, especially me, what will happen in the future.


29 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. For all of it. Who knows for sure, but my thought is Jack would resent you more as he grows up if you left him in a bad place. I feel sorry for the little guy, it's a lot to handle. My son's bio-dad was a drug addict and alcoholic. He didn't see him much as a child because of it. You do the best you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess time will tell but I hate waiting:)

      Delete
  2. That do-ahead stuff would lessen my stress too! I have trouble making too many things at one time and retaining my sanity. (or patience!) That's so frustrating and sad about Jack and Gracie. You are right that love is not enough. She doesn't understand or won't accept what it takes to care for a child. (or herself)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I have left to make is the stuffing and roasted carrots, a friend is bringing a salad, so done.

      At least Gracie's family sees her problems now.

      Delete
  3. Gracie works at a daycare centre but clearly does not have the full range of skills that an effective carer needs. You can only follow your instincts in relation to Jack's welfare and he needs you now. Let the future look after itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. Nobody can predict what will happen. It sucks:)

      Delete
  4. I agree with Sandra. You are doing all the right things. There's just no perfect answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you keeping a record with pictures of the things that happen when Jack is in Gracie's care? You should absolutely be documenting this all. And I mean ALL. Diaper rashes included.
    Neglect is a form of abuse.
    On to happier things- your turkey looks perfect. And I don't know why you don't like that quilt. It looks so pretty to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of taking photos of the daiper rashes but stop because it's Jack's junk and I don't want any weirdos to get hold of photos like that.

      The turkey was good, moist and tasty but the gravy was the best part of the meal. Ina Garten knows how to make gravy.

      Delete
  6. A good thing about having Christmas downunder is that the expectation of a hot cooked dinner is very low. We will have salads and nibbles. A lot of people have seafood.
    Your comment about love not being enough made me think that maybe Gracie needs to have her love of Jack acknowledged and her inability to care for him made ok so she might be more willing to give up day to day care. As a parent I would consider being thought of as an unloving mother as devastating and would fight tooth and nail to prove otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know to to give Gracie what she needs, neither does her mother. I think Gracie thought Jack would give her the love she so craves but that's not how it works. Mum's give their love away to their children in the hopes that they will then pass it onto their own children.

      Delete
  7. Yes, please do document it all. There is no excuse for diaper rash that bad, that's neglect. Your turkey looks lovely. I always did it all on the same day, and then was too exhausted to really enjoy it. Your way is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to my girlfrend last night at supper and she said she always cooked her turkey ahead of time. How did I not know about this?

      Delete
  8. It's always exciting to see something different on the bird-feeders - as long as it's not a squirrel carrying out a raid! I'll not be cooking a turkey this year as it'll only be my brother and I siting down for Christmas dinner, but it has to be roast potatoes in our family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like roasted potatoes too but mashed potatoes is the tradition, so mashed it is. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  9. I suppose what-ifs never end. All you can do is do your best with the information you have at hand.

    Am I to understand that Gracie WORKS at a day care?! I'm sorry, but that seems insane to me, given how much trouble she has caring for her own child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is insane that Gracie works at a daycare. You're not wrong.

      Delete
  10. 37paddington:
    What Steve said. Also, do not worry about Jack resenting you for not letting his parents raise him. I promise you, the older he gets the more clearly he will see their dysfunction and thank his lucky stars that he landed with you. I feel very sure about this, based on a similar situation in my own extended family. All you can do right now is what you think is best to secure that little boy. The future will take care of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen the results of non intervention versus intervention in bad situations for children in my own extended family and I'll vote for intervention every time. The damage done when no one cares enough to intervene lasts generations. I am confident that Jack will remember the caring. He already knows the difference in how he feels physically and emotionally, if only subconsciously. You and the Big Man are doing right by him. Keep going. Sending love. x0x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you success at family court in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Custodial Grandparenting and Guardianships are hard to navigate, you do your best to stand in the Gaps my Friend, don't Judge yourself too harshly, you muddle thru it like we all do when the complexities are enormous and so much is outside of our control or legal boundaries. Until I Adopted The G-Kid Force, which took 15 and 10 Years respectively by the time it FINALLY was approved... it was always stress inducing and uncertain. I think taking it annually is probably better for the time being, some days I had to take ours one day at a time and we had total cooperation of the Dads and our Daughter, plus support system within the extended Family, tho' mostly it was Emotional Support, it was a valuable Network nonetheless. As for Jack, Kids are resilient and Yes, there could be some harbored feelings that won't be entirely Positive, he has a very tough row to hoe, he may vent in the Safest Direction, which is what usually happens and probably why he's Testing the Waters now by telling you he Hates you sometimes, to observe your Reaction that your Love is Solid and you're Understanding of his need to express whatever Emotions he's just Feeling... and Safely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If this isn't too personal, how old is Jack? Could you photograph the rash and pixilate the important bits so they can't be seen? or just place a cloth over that section, then take a photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that but to be honest, but I'm sure there are people who would happily wank off to a photo of a butt hole even. Jack is three and a half.

      Delete
  15. Old enough to remember the good caring he gets from you :)

    ReplyDelete