Monday, December 12, 2022



It remains cold here but the cold doesn't seem to bother Heidi much.  She likes to sit outside and roll in the snow.  Lucy on the other hand can't manage more than a minute or two once it get's below -10C.  She starts hopping from foot to foot, unwilling to put her feet down.  More than once I've had to put on shoes and go rescue her, especially once it hits -20C and lower.  The cat sits on the heat register on days like this, curled up in a ball, sleeping.

I'm working on another quilt already.  This one will be for my lap and I'll quilt it myself on my sewing machine because it will be much smaller than Katie's quilt.  This info is for Steve, longarming is the process by which a longarm sewing machine is used to sew together a quilt top, quilt batting and quilt backing into a finished quilt.  Katie's quilt was very large, 100" by 100" and there was no way I could quilt it on my machine at home.

It's really hard for me to just let go and stick fabrics together but I'm trying to let go, with some success.  This quilt will use up a lot of scrap fabric that's lying around.



I'm feeling really down this morning.  The drama with my mother in law continues.  I hate being in conflict with someone and I realized this morning that my mother in law doesn't actually like me;  I thought she did.  It's funny how patterns form.  The first time doesn't seem like much, the second time, a coincidence maybe, the third time a pattern starts to form.

When my father in law was still in hospital I bought him some Keurig cups for his room because he loves coffe and I thought it would be nice for him.  My mother in law got rid of all of them, gave them to the staff.  I don't have a problem with the nursing staff having the coffee but I bought them for my father in law, and she didn't even ask. I bought more coffee and she took it home for herself.  One day my father in law was upset (he has moderate dementia) because he had no money.  I gave him twenty bucks and it made him so happy to have some money in his pocket.  My mother in law took it away from him and did not return the money to me.

When he was moved to continuing care and she refused to bring in anything to make his room cozy, I brought in stuff from our home and bought a few things for him.  When they moved my father in law back to Wetaskiwin last week, a bunch of stuff was missing so we went and talked to her.  She told me that my father in law had thrown out the plant I gave him, which is fine.  The staff saved the pot (which was a beautiful pot of mine) and my mother in law told the staff to keep it, and yes she knew it was mine because I told her.

She had removed some models that my husband had made for his father and a couple of pieces of Delft blue pottery that I had brought in for him because they had windmills on them.  My mother in law said he would break them and couldn't have them.  Finally, after arguing with us, she gave us back the things she had taken out of his room.

We hung up more family photos in my father in law's room, old family photos from when he was a child.  I hung up a couple of landscape photos of mine.  When we were there, my father in law was happy and enjoyed having the photos hung up.  

The next day, my sister in law (she lives in BC and hasn't been here in awhile), texted my husband to let him know that my father in law was agitated because of the things we had hung up in his room.  I think what she meant to say is that my mother in law is agitated because she wants to control everything.  

My husband is hurt and angry, so is his brother.  Their mother has spent a lifetime of hurting them in a thousand small ways; now she is hurting a confused, vulnerable, old man who spent a lifetime working hard so that she could shop, and I think that has brought everything to a head for them.

I can feel the pain my husband is feeling and then this morning I realized that my mother in law doesn't like me.  It was kind of a wow, what the fuck have I ever done to you?  The answer to that would be, I was being myself.  I don't like to see vulnerable people hurt.  When my father in law was healthy and not confused, he could fight his own battles, and he did, but now he can't.  

I'll still continue to visit my father in law.  He's a sweet, funny old man with the mouth of a sailor, which I love.  He still has his sense of humour.  I won't be visiting my mother in law again.  I realize now how toxic she is and I don't need that in my life.
 

27 comments:

  1. I'm feeling sad for all of you. I can empathize because I've been down this road. You are right to stay away from her.

    I like the new quilt, too. I'm sure having the quilt to work with helps you with your emotions.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on the quilt is like gardening, it relaxes me and I can just listen to the radio, except this morning; I started watching "Spirited" and ended up sitting down. It's a wonderful movie, even if I did ugly cry. Damn that Ryan Reynolds:)

      Delete
  2. It is a difficult realization that just by being ourselves we can be disliked and for reasons that should be positives like being caring and thoughtful. The same thing happened to me with my husband's family when he got sick and died two years later. I don't see those people now except for one nephew and his wife. The rest of them are toxic and wanted to control in negative and hurtful ways. I'm sorry for your pain but especially for your husband who has dealt with this his whole life and now has to endure the behavior when he's already under so much stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny I didn't realize it before. At least I know now. My husband and his brother have been treated like shit their whole lives by this woman and I feel so bad for not understanding it until now.

      Delete
  3. I was going to suggest that the mother in law might have dementia herself but then I got to the part where you say she's always been this way. I wonder what in the world happened to her to make her so want to bring unhappiness to others? Sometimes, it just doesn't matter, does it? The toxicity is too much no matter where it came from.
    I love your new lap quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what happened to her as well. I've quizzed my husband and his Aunt but they don't know why she ended up like this either. She must be right and must be in control. It's a hard way to live. It's a lonely way to live.

      Delete
  4. I am very tired of the bullshit you keep having to deal with. Not tired of hearing about it; tired that people like this happen to you. I'm glad you're sharing here so that you feel heard and understood, at least. That woman is her own worst enemy isn't she; how foolish not to be open to help and care for her husband and, by extension, herself. It sounds as if you and your husband are seeing her clearly. It's hard on you both to see small comforts taken away from his father in a life that's already losing so much to dementia. And to have your own ability to do something for him undermined. Remember that exercise we talked about where you would visualize someone as a small child? If you do it with her, please tell me about it. Meanwhile KEEP YOUR SANITY! You are being pecked to death by ducks! Gak! But seriously, keep on taking gentle care with yourself every day, treating yourself with kindness. You deserve this and more. xoxoxo Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a shit magnet sometimes and it does make me wonder what I did to have to deal with all of it. I'll try the exercise but I know so little about her life.

      I like the visual of being pecked to death by ducks. Are you sure they're not geese?

      Delete
  5. Good for you, breaking up with your MIL. So wonderful that you are close and can visit your FIL and make him feel good. Just as you said he has not changed except for the dementia, so it is with her. She will not change. I do think that as she takes the pictures down, you can put them back up again. Other things might get taken by others guests in a care home, but they don't seem to go after the pictures on the wall. I wish him well.....and you and his son, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling my husband she won't change but I think there is always a part of us, deep down, that wishes for our parents to be the kind, loving parents we need.

      Delete
  6. The MIL really does sounds toxic and controlling. You should be proud that a person like that doesn't like you. It means you are not a doormat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cutting ties is the best thing you can do for your own mental health. You have enough on your plate with people you have to have in your life to one degree or another.
    Maybe you could take FIL something edible so he can eat it before the witch gets there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do take my father in law treats which if she finds, she takes them away. I bring him some of my baking and for awhile my hubby was bringing him liver and onions once a week from a restaurant.

      Delete
  8. I think you're right - your MIL doesn't like you - but from the sounds of it she doesn't like anyone! There are people like that but I'm sorry your husband and his brother had to tolerate such an unkind woman and now you and your FIL are in the crossfires! Keep on being you. Some people wake up and drink vinegar and there's nothing you can do to change them. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She likes people who agree with her. I didn't realize how awful it was for my husband until this past year with his father in hospital and then meeting his brother.

      Delete
  9. That seems like a wise decision. Toxic people like to poison everything around them. They’re not happy if anyone else is happy.

    You’ve had more than your fair share of sickness it then I remembered what it was like to have kids in preschool and realized, YUP, that was what it was like. One illness flew through the house and then another started before the last person was perfectly well. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are little petri dishes. Jack literally always has a finger up his nose and explained to me that when he's sick, the buggers are bigger. You can't argue with that:)

      Delete
  10. Good grief. As if having Gracie in your life was not enough, you have the psycho MIL. Indeed you are being pecked by ducks. That's a great visual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not really psycho but very unhappy with her life and takes it out on others.

      Delete
  11. The unkind and domineering actions of your mother-in-law speak of a pinched life with limited sunshine in it. Who ever said that she could be your father-in-law's warden, his judge and jury?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was always a very domineering woman I guess but without her husband to slow her down, she's become very unpleasant.

      Delete
  12. Perhaps your mother-in-law doesn't really like anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First, thanks for the description of the sewing technique used in quilting! I had no idea about "longarming." I learn all kinds of new things through the blogosphere!

    I'm sorry about the conflicts with your mother-in-law. I'm sure she's struggling with the situation and managing her husband's "stuff" probably gives her some sense of control -- but that doesn't excuse her bad treatment of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 37paddington:
    Families are so complicated. It’s a tricky dance, to preserve yourself while giving your husband and father in law space to preserve themselves in this toxic relationship with your mother in law. Do what you must. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. MIL Drama, yep... mine was an Okay MIL but mostly becoz she lived in another State so our contact was minuscule and The Man is probably her least close Child of her large Brood. He wasn't close at all with his Mom or his Dad and only close to a couple of his Siblings really to where there was contact sporadically. That made it easier for me personally. I only ever had one Come To Jesus with the Old Woman, after her Son's TBI she presumed to tell me I wasn't taking Good Enough Care of her Son... she's critical of the other DIL's so I knew this fact. So, I played a Mind Fuck with her to amuse myself. I said, you are absolutely Right, he's your Son and NOBODY takes Care of a Child quite like their own Mother. And we have a Guest Bedroom available for you to come and stay for as long as you like to take better Care of him... in fact, it would give me a Welcome Respite from Caregiving for him and the Grandchildren we're also Raising, for you to be here as my backup... Thank You so much!!!!! I never heard from her again, EVER... bwahaha. She's Dead now, RIP, no more MIL Drama. *winks*

    ReplyDelete