Thursday, April 7, 2022


My tomato plants have survived the cat.  I moved them to a new counter that she can't access without pulling all of the plants down on top of herself.  I decided not to kill the cat:)  The plants won't go outside for another six or seven weeks so they'll have time to grow.  I also planted some echinacea which have come up and some pumpkin seeds that I saved from Halloween.  We'll see if they come up.  I think Jack would love to see the pumpkins growing.  He seems impressed by the tomatoes; he helped me plant them.  As for the echinacea, he just looks at me like I'm pulling his leg when I tell him the name.



This photo was taken last week and the snow has retreated even more since then.  Spring is here.  The geese have been arriving for weeks and the sun is high in the sky.  However, Jack believes that you do not have to go to bed if the sun is still up.  I have explained to him that the sun sets later in the spring and summer and that we have to go to bed while the sun is still up, even nana and poppa.


Last week when he was here, he opened up this drawer and was dragging stuff out because he said, "I make."  God I love that little boy.

We have a telephone meeting tonight about Gracie taking him unsupervised which will happen because her sister and mother are leaving town next week for a few weeks, another holiday.  Nothing I can do about it, it's been decided already and the phone call feels like a formality.  I feel sick to my stomach about it.  Probably not helping my stress.

We will insist that we still take Jack for three nights a week.  He has his daycare here and his friends which are important to him.  Gracie has arranged for him to go to another daycare close to where she lives.  I don't trust her or her judgement went it comes to him but I have to, at least until she fails.  I don't want her to fail but she hasn't been sober since Jack was a month old.  She did manage to stay sober while she was pregnant but I guess time will tell.  She still doesn't have a job.  She refuses to talk to us, like this is our fault somehow.  Deep breaths.

I'm off work now for four to six weeks.  I couldn't take the foot pain anymore on Monday so I saw my doctor on Tuesday who put me on leave for two weeks and told me to see a podiatrist.  Yesterday I saw the podiatrist who put me on leave for four to six weeks and told me to use a cane to lessen the strain on my left foot.  I'm to do twenty minutes of stretches a day and see her again in two weeks.  She also talked about shockwave therapy which sounds like it might hurt.

It's Jack's birthday on Saturday.  He'll be three years old.

And that's my life so far.  

Update, Lori, Jack's other grandma has covid now so she won't be going away and will be availabe to supervise Gracie when Jack starts staying overnight with his mom again.  I'm thankful.
 

28 comments:

  1. I would hate Gracie having him unsupervised. Her track record is abysmal. I don't need to tell you that though! Hope your foot pain can be alleviated. What are all these vacations about anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori has been off for the past six months sinced her husband killed himself and I think she's always gone on a lot of holidays.

      Delete
  2. I'm a bad person for hoping this, but if she's going to fail I hope it's sooner rather than later so you can step in. Changing his day care is a big deal and just shows how little she thinks about his needs. I am so sorry this is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She moved into Edmonton and the new daycare is a five minute walk from her apartment. She can't drive. We are now paying for the daycare for him here, close to us because it's familiar for him and because I worry all hell will breaks loose and we will need a daycare near us again fulltime.

      Delete
  3. There are no words to use that would tell you how much I hate what you are having to go through with the uncertainly of Jack's situation. I know it is a special sort of hell.
    But I do know that you are absolutely doing the very best anyone on earth could do and that your love for him, your care for him, will be the greatest thing in his life forever.
    Now rest your foot, woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could change things, god how I wish, but I can't. I have to wait. Not my forte.

      Delete
  4. So her track record as a parent is awful, her addiction has been noted, her family support is away on holidays . . . what social worker allows her to take this vulnerable child for a period of several days? For what purpose? I am so sorry and mad that this is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The social worker is no longer involved because, money. Jack has four guardians that aren't alcoholics to watch over him and his mom so social services closed the file. It can be reopened if we have concerns but because he can legally live with us or his other grandma, they wouldn't do much.

      Jack will still stay with us part time for now and for a long time I hope.

      Delete
  5. All I can do is agree with all the above comments! No wonder you are stressed ... any of us would be as well!
    Do you have fasciitis? I empathize with anyone dealing with foot pain ... It totally sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have plantar fasciitis. I've had it for years but it's been much worse lately and nothing I've tried has worked this time.

      Delete
  6. I guess people have a tendency to look for somebody to blame when the going gets tough but Gracie would be better off looking in the mirror - not in your direction. You and The Big Guy could and should be her rock while her mother and sister are away (again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people don't seem to like looking in the mirror.

      Delete
  7. Finally someone getting Covid is a good thing!
    I had plantar fasciitis some years ago. It was like walking on shards of glass. I was working in infection prevention and control and had to do my daily ward rounds - walking all over a rambling old hospital. My toes curl even now at the memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cane now which I'm using when the pain is awful, in the morning and after a long time sitting, which helps.

      Delete
  8. When I read "Last week when he was here, he opened up this drawer and was dragging stuff out because he said, "I make." God I love that little boy." my heart sang a little. What a little sweetheart he is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, since I have my own little "Jack" I can only begin to imagine what you are going through with your little sweetheart. Good luck to you, stay strong (I know you will) and take care of yourself too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking care of myself, better than I usually do. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. My heart sinks whenever I think of Jack spending time with his mother without supervision. I know your heart does, too.

    Will be thinking of Jack tomorrow on his third birthday! Happy Birthday, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Jack! Healing Energies for your Foot, glad you got some extended Leave to tend to it. As for Unsupervised Visitation when the Non-Custodial Parent has Substance Abuse Issue, Yes, very Nerve wracking. It's a shame that Gracie isn't able to Own her part in why things are how they are and be giving her Son the best options. I was fortunate that The G-Kid Force's Parents, all Three of them, did that for us, which was exceedingly Helpful, especially for the Children and to lessen heightened stress levels. Not that there weren't a few Come To Jesus Moments with The Young Prince's Bio Dad, who now is Clean and doing much better in Life, so tho' he still has Lifestyle choices I don't condone, he's 40 now and often jokes about how our relationship was when I didn't like him as much. *LOL* Perhaps with Maturity Gracie will come to appreciate how much your Family is doing to ensure that Precious Child has the best possible Childhood and Options. Virtual Hugs my Friend, you Rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracie turns thirty-five this year. She's running out of time to mature.

      She's has never owned her part in this whole shit show, in fact, refuses to own it. We are the problem, not her.

      Delete
  12. That's a lot of time off! Good for you. Sorry about the foot though. And how you will worry when Jack's with Gracie. Let's hope she's able to keep her poop in a group, for both their sakes. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to enjoy the time off and relax, for a change. Do my stretches and let my body heal.

      Delete
  13. In spite of the many problems with your son, your grandson certainly has turned out to be a blessing in your life! I'm sorry about your foot, and hope the time off helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack is a blessing indeed. His parents are not his fault and we just want to give him the best chance in life.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you have some time off, although I'm sorry it's for healing your foot. You've been through so much. You could use some time to relax. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy third birthday to Jack! I can imagine how your heart clutches for him. But you are doing every you can. Hold on to that.

    ReplyDelete