Friday, February 25, 2022


I can hear a chickadee outside, chirping away.  The other morning I heard a chickadee mating call.  Spring must be coming.  The sun is shining through the windows and the cat had curled up on the counter for awhile until the sun moved.  I filled up my car with gas after I dropped the big guy off at work.  Life seems so normal, except it's not anymore.

Last night we watched the news until bedtime.  Yesterday morning while I was driving to the hardware store I listened to my Prime Minister talk about the Russian invasion of Ukraine and I was reminded of the Polish Invasion by the Germans.  My mum told me she had been on a boat with friends and the holiday was cut short.  When she got home her mum had already made and hung black out curtains for their house.  My mum was fourteen years old.

Today there are children in Kyiv, mothers, fathers, sisters, uncles, grandparents, all terrified of what will come.  Ukraine wanted to join NATO, Russia didn't want Ukraine to join Russia and now NATO won't help Ukraine because it's not part of NATO.  It is a catch 22.  

I understand that NATO countries are reluctant to escalate the situation.  I understand that we're talking about a pyschopath with access to nuclear weapons.  I understand the gravity of it all but if we stand by and watch this unfold, what does that make us?  Complicit?  

This is happening.





9 comments:

  1. It is an ugly and heartbreaking situation. I have no answers. Those in my country who support Putin are vile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God.
    Hitler all over again, insisting he doesn't plan on making war, then doing it anyway.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stop thinking about it. My heart is so heavy. I pray but wonder what good it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think we're standing by -- we're levying sanctions and doing other things. But I also don't think we can intervene militarily. That will just escalate the situation.

    Now, it will be another story entirely if Putin keeps going and tries to annex the Baltic countries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve echoes my own thinking. I pray that somehow the Russian people will turn against Putin and oust him. He is wasting resources that could have been spent on their many needs - including continuing the fightback against COVID.

    P.S. I just came across another blog from the Edmonton area. It is called "She Who Seeks". I wonder if you have checked it out before. It seems lively, provocative and at times fun. The lady who runs it is called Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always it is the innocent civilians who suffer isn't it. And to be honest, I don't see many mothers wanting their sons to be sent off to war on either side! God help them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The situation in Ukraine reminds me of the Stories my Mom and her other European Friends always told me about from WWII, when the World would have rather not gotten involved... but had to anyway... Evil Men never stop and Vlad's Land Grab uncontested just makes him emboldened to take more... eventually we'll have to do more and NATO will have to come to terms with the reality that if he has no real heavy consequences for his War Crimes, he sees the rest of us as Weak and that he can get away with anything by threatening a Nuclear Global Disaster... which he's done anyway, with attacking Nuclear Power Plants. He's too unhinged to Trust or not stop him.

    ReplyDelete