Thursday, January 13, 2022


We've had a lot of snow and cold weather but this week it warmed up and today it's raining.  You can imagine what that does to the roads.  This morning on the way into the city, there were eight cars and trucks in the ditch.  I stayed in the city to get my booster shot and then drove home; the roads much improved but still a school bus and a SUV added to the mess in the ditches.  

I took a vacation day today and now I have a four day weekend which is just lovely and seems to stretch endlessly in front of me.  I'm feeling better than I was the other day.  Writing and remembering the bad stuff that's happened over the past three years knocked me down.  

Then yesterday my son started phoning me.  He called ten times and left a lot of messages.  He's back in jail, maybe, I'm not really sure.  There was another incident with his wife, the police were called and he was taken into custody, again.  The rambling messages he left me seemed like confabulation, "Confabulation is the creation of false memories in the absence of intentions of deception. Individuals who confabulate have no recognition that the information being relayed to others is fabricated."
 
He wove together a story that invovled some truths, some lies and probably some things that have stuck in his brain for a long time.  He talked about dirty cops, evidence being planted, his other son needing a brain shunt, pediatric hospitals, abuse, teeth and dentists.  I listened to all of the messages and made notes.  His wife is going to move now and hopefully, won't let him back in, again.

I think years of drug use have fried his brain and I grieve for my son but I will not let him back into my life.  

Last night Gracie came over to see Jack after we got home.  A friend brought her and when I asked the friend if she was vaccinated, she said no and I asked her to please leave.  She then grabbed Jack, kissed him all over his face and then argued with my husband before leaving.  That was not pleasant but when Gracie was alone, she was good.  

She looks better than I've ever seen her.  I've only ever know Gracie pregnant or drunk or high.  She's sober and makes sense.  She's been doing a lot of work on herself  and she understands that she has a lot more work to do.  Best of all, she paid attention to Jack and it was wonderful to see.  He was happy to see her and to be seen by her, and she was happy to see him.  Gracie talked a lot and I listened.  I have hope, I always hope.  I guess only time will tell what happens.

The rest of Gracie's family comes home from Mexico on Saturday, so I guess we'll see what kind of a shit show that is.  But right now, today, Jack knows his mama loves him and she showed him that she loves him.  And how wonderful is that.









 

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like Gracie needs to find new friends if she is going to succeed in her rehabilitation. That friend did her no favours. Nice that you got to enjoy a better visit with her once the friend had gone though. Fingers crossed. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. It is very wonderful that Jack knows his mama loves him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracie will need a lot of help and I wonder who will be able to give it.
    It seems the best solution would be a team effort with you, Jack, your man and her but her family???

    I am so sorry to read about the shape your son is in. It brings back memories of my addict mother. Distance is the only way. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best news in a time where good news is hard to find. Go Gracie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, such good news about Gracie. I'm cautiously optimistic. Drug and alcohol addiction is a very tough one to break. Our mountain passes have record breaking amounts of snow and now with warmer weather, it's raining. High avalanche danger and several passes are still closed. (which really affects our supply chain) Glad you're feeling better about things and I sympathize about your son. I've had to cut people out of my life(including family) for various reasons and it makes my stomach and heart hurt although it is the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you did not smack that asshole right upside the head, I am impressed with your self-control. Jesus Murphy, how ignorant can a person get. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as you and the Big Guy can remain Jack's guardians, I have great hopes for Jack's future. Gracie's family and friends don't sound at all good for Jack. They aren't particularly good for Gracie, for that matter. I'm wondering how she will be able to stay sober function at a healthy level in that toxic context.

    Having witnessed how drugs and alcohol can tragically undermine a person's mental health, I'm sad to hear about what your son is experiencing. I've had to step away from people who were dear to me but out of control mentally and emotionally. It is heartbreaking for all concerned to see that kind of deterioration in a human being.

    Like Colette, I'm hoping for the best in these complicated situations you live with.

    Your photos are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant "stay sober and function"

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a big heart Nurse Lily - prepared to hope for the best with Gracie. As for her stupid friend - all that unvaccinated kissing could threaten you and The Big Guy after five or six days. Hopefully, nothing will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I'm so glad Gracie is doing well she might want to dump that friend don't you think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A promising report. One day at a time for Gracie. And hopefully new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a roller coaster, isn't it? I'm glad that you are able to provide stability for Jack, at least as much as you can. Make sure to document when Lori doesn't abide by the rules. Every single time.

    ReplyDelete