Friday, April 17, 2020


Granny, Auntie Moya and my mum in the buggy, taken probably around 1928 or 1929, maybe in Worthing.  My cousin sent me this photo;  she was going through stuff, as she is also locked down and has time on her hands, and found it.  Mum was the only dark haired girl in a family of four girls.  I wish I had known granny, from talking to my cousins it sounds like granny was a lot like my mum.

The pandemic continues.  Isn't that just fucking fantastic!

I had another rough week but I held it together and made it through the week with only one bout of crying at work.  We now have to wear masks all the time a work as they have discovered COVID is much more contagious than originally thought.  No kidding.

There is something called the R0 number.  R0 refers to the number of people that one sick person goes onto infect in a population that has no immunity.  The R0 number of COVID varies between 2.2 and 5.7.  Measles for example has a R0 number of between 3.7 to 203.  Measles is very contagious.  The seasonal flu has a R0 factor of about 1.3.  So COVID is more contagious than the flu but less contagious than measles.  It has to do with the number of people in the population and the level of immunity in the population as well.  Humans have no immunity to this new coronavirus so it's racing like wildfire through the population.   It has a low mortality rate, the number of people who die from the disease, but because it is so widespread, it has the ability to overwhelm health care services in a population, hence the social distancing thing.  It helps to slow the spread of the disease, not stop it.  Until about 82% of us have immunity to it, either through having the disease or through vaccination, it will continue on.  It's here to stay.

Here's an interesting article on it.  https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-contagious-r-naught-average-patient-spread-2020-3.

In other news, nothing has happened here.  Our beagle cut her back open last weekend and we thought it was healing but it's not so I took her to the vet this morning.  Other than that, nothing is happening here.

It's supposed to rain here today and the snow is rapidly disappearing.  Once it gets going it's amazing to see how fast it retreats.  I hear the geese honking as they fly overhead and I hear the chickadees singing, trying to attract a mate.  The sun rises earlier and sets later.  The world continues on without us.

I'm in a mood.  Sorry.  Tomorrow will be better.

Stay safe my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment