Sunday, May 3, 2015

 
 
This is my assignment today, to write about the good stuff in my life instead of just the bad stuff, to find balance in my writing and my life.


Two weeks ago we were here, me and the big guy, sitting beside the Athabasca River at four in the afternoon, enjoying the view and the sunshine.  We go to the mountains fairly often.  They fill up my cup but why do they fill up my cup?  The big guy says it's because I can't control things in the mountains which is true but there's more.  There's something humbling about the natural world.  It puts things in perspective.  Makes you realize how small you and your problems are. 

I love trees.  I really love trees.  To me they symbolize steadfastness.  They stand where they are planted.  They quietly do their thing as the seasons pass and when they die, they lay down and feed the next generation.  I admire them for that and for their astonishing beauty.  I'm a visual person and I drink up what they have to show me at any time of the year. 

As we sat beside the river we could hear the birds singing and not far from us there was a small herd of mountain sheep grazing, completely unconcerned with our presence.  The river was low because the snow pack is only just beginning to melt at the higher altitudes.  There were two young boys picking their way through the stones beside the river, just enjoying themselves, playing.  It is peaceful here.  I can breathe deeply and let go of things.  Nothing I do will change the course of this river.  It has been here for thousands of years and will continue on for many thousands of years after I'm gone.  I feel small here and blessed to see such beauty. 


2 comments:

  1. "I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do. I feel as if this tree knows everything I ever think of when I sit here. When I come back to it, I never have to remind it of anything; I begin just where I left off." Willa Cather, O Pioneers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love trees...I have a particular one I hike out to when I can and mediate under it. Nature is a balm like no other.

    ReplyDelete