Friday, August 21, 2026




One of my favorite photos of Lucy.

Another busy week.  Our fridge died on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.  It's been dying for awhile but it gave up the ghost completely.  I went to put something in the freezer and the tomato sauce that was sitting in a bag was liquid.  Much stress followed.  We have another freezer in the mud room so that things that were expensive (meat) or from the garden (tomatoes and raspberries) and still not thawed out were moved there.  That night my husband brought in the travel cooler that we have and plugged that in and I bought a small fridge from Canadian Tire for milk and eggs, and most importantly, my iced tea:)  Both the cooler and tiny fridge are jam packed.

Two mornings of throwing things out either into the compost, or down the sink.  Most of the condiments are gone.  It's amazing how many condiments slowly take over the fridge but I did save the mayo.  We made a trip to the eco centre to get rid of all the empty glass containers because they no longer pick up glass.  

I ordered a new fridge online from Home Depot, but first I watched some videos about the best fridge to buy.  The fewer the bells and whistles, the more likely the fridge will last.  The worst offender is in door ice makers, which I don't like anyway so not a problem.  Less fancy=less components to break, which could be part of the problem with newer fridges and their short lifespan.  That and planned obsolescence.

I took Jack to the Fringe Festival yesterday afternoon and we had a nice time.  His favorite part was the children's section where he made a couple of crafts and put on a puppet show which reminded me a little of a Punch and Judy show.  He also got to see a juggler who juggled machetes and fire.  Surprisingly, he did not ask to buy a machete on the way home:)

I saw a lovely podiatrist yesterday who fixed up my sore foot in literally minutes and he then refused to charge me because it took so little time.  Very kind man.

I'm in the process of writing a letter to someone I love very much which has made me think, a lot, and cry, a little.  I have discovered I only have so much bandwidth to deal with highly emotional or stressful things at one time, and I'm learning to accept that about myself.  Probably most people are like that, but what do I know?  It's taken awhile to get to the point of writing this letter, longer than I would have liked, but I also have a stressful life which I am learning to accept.  








31 comments:

  1. I swear you have the worst luck sometimes! On the plus side you'll have a clean fridge to start over again. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And who doesn't love a clean fridge? Plus, all new condiments.

      Delete
  2. Good luck on getting a replacment soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fridge is 30 years old, and I have no spare one, so this scared the crap out of me! I am very addicted to my ice maker; I go through tons of ice in my water. I know they go bad quickly though. What a fun activity for Jack, even without a machete! :) It's difficult to write a letter to someone we love; words are an imperfect tool to express how we actually feel. Hope you can figure it out! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Brita water filter that I fill all the time and which sits in my fridge. I love cold water and iced tea so I need my ice but the old fridge had a lot of problems with the ice maker and we just stopped using it and went back to the old fashioned ice trays which work so well.
      For me, letter writing always works better than in person because I cry so much when dealing with strong emotions and I can't organize my thoughts, except on paper.

      Delete
  4. Ice makers and plumbed in water dispensers seem very problematic. Even the ones with an internal tank that you manually fill with water and have an external tap can leak in time. I think your fridges might be quite large compared to ours, although ours are large compared to English and European fridges. Good luck with the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up Australian fridges and they're the same size as ours. Right now I have a small under the counter fridge sitting on my kitchen table, waiting for our new fridge. More moving parts, more things to break.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful photo of Lucy. Reminds me of my first dog .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Lucy, well, I love all my dogs, but beagles have a special place in my heart. I took this photo in the car. We were traveling someplace and she was sleeping in the backseat.

      Delete
  6. When my old fridge finally stopped working I replaced it with the simplest I could find. No fancy bits, just a freezer compartment on top of a fridge part. So far it's holding up, few parts to break. It's usually in hot humid weather fridges finally give up, exactly when you need them most. Good luck with the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple works better. I didn't go with a freezer up top just because my husband is so tall, it's easier for him if the freezer is on the bottom, less bending.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on "the simpler the better". I rarely take the time to learn what all the bells and whistles are for anyway (especially on my oven) so what's the point. I hope your new fridge gets delivered quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I'm not a fan of door ice makers either. I don't get the point. That's what ice cube trays are for! I agree that the simpler, the better.

    Love the '70s refrigerator meme.

    I'm glad Jack enjoyed the festival and it must feel good to finally get that letter written, even if it has taken a while and been stressful to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can make ice cubes with a tray and the ice cubes in the door always taste funny to me. My sister had a fridge that colour, or maybe it was avocado.

      Delete
  9. The most irritating thing about our then new fridge was the series of sounds it made when the door was left open too long, too short, when the temperature reached a set low or set high, when it felt tired, angry or when the stupid ice cube maker ran out of water. It reminded me of the stroller my daughter got on her second birthday which had an obnoxious bell ringing when she pushed the thing around. It took granddad all morning to figure out how to discreetly disable it.
    We stayed calm for about one months before we called the fridge place and asked for instructions. Now the only sound it makes is a bit like waves crashing in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate things beeping at me too, like my car or my fridge.
      A stroller with a bell would be irritating. It reminds me of kids with shoes that had squeakers in them. I don't imagine any child ever got more than one pair of those shoes.
      Waves crashing sounds like a lovely sound to have.

      Delete
    2. I always assumed the shoe squeakers were a sort of safety feature…. Another way to keep tabs on a toddler…

      Delete
  10. I have to admit I love our ice maker and water dispenser in the door. And as back-up, there's also an ice maker in the freezer which is in the bottom of the unit. Perhaps ice is a more valued commodity here in Florida! And it's nice to have extra to put in ice chests for day trips. But you are exactly right- there are so many ridiculous features now in appliances that no one needs and only serve to create problems and complicate repairs. There is no doubt about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I love ice a lot too and need it all year long. It's just that ice makers break more often than anything else on a fridge.

      Delete
  11. One's bandwith is one's bandwith and it's important to live accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The in-door ice/water is a point of failure. When we replaced the frig recently, the sales guy told us don't do it. We did it anyway and bought an extended warranty. We looked at the ice in the bottom of the freezer models, but they take up so much room. We're under a red flag fire warning today, so we may be turning the ice maker off and dumping the ice. We learned that lesson last evacuation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An extended warranty sounds like a good work around. I hope you don't have to evacuate again.

      Delete
  13. I can see why that beautiful photo of Lucy is among your favorites. A peaceful image in your often stressful life. Sending love always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy just looks so happy in the photo.

      Delete
    2. The photo stopped me too: it is the best online there is.

      Delete
  14. That photo of Lucy is art. You really are a fine photographer. As for refrigerators, I have found that inexpensive, no frills models tend to last indefinitely. That said, I do love our LG two door model with the freezer drawer on the bottom. No ice maker. And spacious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fewer moving parts=fewer things to break. Our new fridge will have french doors and the freezer on the bottom as husband is quite tall and it's easier for him to have everything higher up:)

      Delete