Tuesday, August 25, 2026


Amur maple shrub which are common around here.  I love the colour of the seed heads and the leaves turn a beautiful red as well.

Our garage door died on Sunday.  I'm not that superstitious but that's three now, we should be done:)  Jack had a small hissy fit because he couldn't get his electric scooter out of the garage, but everyone survived.  Fortunately a very nice man came on Sunday evening and replaced both springs and the door is working again.  

The countdown to back to school has begun.  We meet the teacher on Thursday evening and Jack starts back to school on Monday morning.  I may be very excited about this, a return to the very same schedule that seemed so onerous in June, I now desire once again.  Who knew?

I've given up my membership to the pottery studio in Fort Saskatchewan.  I just wasn't getting out there enough to make it worthwhile and the drive was 30 minutes each way.  Yesterday morning Jack and I went there so I could finish up my glazing and he painted a piece of bisqueware with underglaze.  He got upset a couple of times because he didn't like how he painted it and nana showed him that you can just wash the underglaze off and try again.  When my stuff comes out of the kiln I'll share it here.  I call it my sweary pottery collection and it gave me so much satisfaction to do.  I do love a good swear.

I have signed up for more pottery classes though and they start in a few weeks.  I also want to take a wheel class in the new year.

I worked in the yard for awhile yesterday.  It's been a shitty summer with lots of rain, intense heat when it wasn't raining, and then millions of swarming mosquitos.  The weather is milder now, the lawn has dried out finally, and the mosquito numbers have gone way down.  We can sit on the back deck again and relax, but the annuals are starting to die.  Sigh.

My raspberry canes are about 7 feet tall and I just did some reading about them.  They need pruning apparently so I'll get to that next month and redo the trellis supports I made for them which aren't working all that great.  I'll try again as I told Jack.

And then I came across this man a few days ago, Dr. B.J. Miller.  He inspired me.



27 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your Sweary Pottery Collection. Also glad you'll continue on with classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days that I spent stamping swear words into pottery made me so happy.

      Delete
  2. I'll check out that guy, but first I must get dressed. It's 12:45 and I've been fiddling around in my pyjamas all day.
    Also, I'm planning to be in St. Albert in October and will be looking you up.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when you'll be here. We're going to Salmon Arm Oct 9-12 to see the salmon run again, but otherwise no plans.

      Delete
  3. "I'll try again, as I told Jack." You have certainly modeled your impressive perseverance skills this year. Sigh (but well done).
    I too look forward to your sweary pottery, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swearing makes me happy, a strange thing, but it's better than gambling, cheaper too.

      Delete
  4. I’m glad you will still be doing pottery. We need to keep feeding our souls. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do need to feed our souls, as much as our bodies.

      Delete
  5. “Let death be what takes us, not lack of imagination.”
    – – from that TED talk you linked to – – thank you for that!!!
    —Fresca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first saw him on an episode of "Limitless" talking with Chris Hemsworth about aging, adaptation, and acceptance. I can't imagine how hard it must have been, becoming a triple amputee at age 19. I'm guessing the accident is where his empathy came from.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for linking to that ted talk - I have also shared it with other people that will appreciate his words.

      Delete
  6. By the end of summer carers of children do welcome the return to routine that school provides. Perhaps Jack will be an artist like his sweary nana, and always have that way of feeding his soul. Looking forward to seeing your pottery pieces. You and Mary Moon are making me think I might want to do a pottery class myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the kids seem to be a little cranky right now, not wanting to give up their freedom and longing for routines again. I know that feeling:)
      I think that you would love pottery.

      Delete
  7. My annuals are tired and so am I. I think it's time for many of them to head to the yard waste--although my front ones are still looking great. A week away will probably do them in though! Routines are good for everyone. I'm happy that you're back to pottery classes; you seem so energized when you talk about your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pottery class doesn't start for a few weeks but I'm looking forward to it and I've got time now to tidy my garden which was in desperate need of tidying.
      Have a wonderful holiday!

      Delete
  8. I think everyone will be glad when the kids go back to school. The carers of course, but I'm sure the kids enjoy more stability and routine in their lives too. The weather's finally broken here and now it's glorious, at around 25 degrees and sunshine. It just makes me realize how much I hate the heat all over again, but autumn surely makes it worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have cooler nights now which makes life much more enjoyable. I'm no longer a fan of the heat either. When I was young I craved the heat, not anymore:)

      Delete
  9. I'm going to pottery today and I'm feeling rather like Jack. I sort of just want to cry about how I do things and never seem to achieve anything worth having.
    Well.
    Your summer is so fleeting. A quick and powerful force. I hope Jack's returning to school gives you a little more time to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually have a long autumn which is lovely. Jack's been very good considering we have nothing planned. We just take each day at a time. I usually have errands and we need to walk the dogs, but after that, no real plans. He's enjoying that part I think.
      I don't think pottery is about what we make, which can be a nice bonus, but rather playing with the clay and visiting with friends.

      Delete
  10. I've actually enrolled in a ceramics course now that you and Mary have been showing off your wonderworks. Not sure whether ceramics means pottery but I paid up and now I must go. Starting next week and goes on forever until Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic! So pottery is ceramics, but not all ceramics is pottery. I'm sure you'll love it and looking forward to photos.

      Delete
  11. I don't swear often but when I do I mean it. I'm thinking your sweary pottery will be lively. School has traditionally gone back to school after Labor Day which I think is the first Monday in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Labour day is late this year, September 7th and because of the increased number of days off school now starts earlier, which I'm ok with:)
      I swear a lot.

      Delete
  12. I'll be interested to see your "sweary" ceramics! I'm glad you're continuing the classes even if not the studio membership. You must have gotten all our summer rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we did get all of your rain. Strangely enough, the garden is now bone dry despite all the rain, at least on one half of the grass.
      I'm looking forward to how my sweary pottery turns out too:)

      Delete
  13. I listened to B.J.Miller's talk. When it comes to end of life care, we need more people like him - reflective, intelligent and desirous of better practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly. Death is a normal part of life, one which we need to deal with and ultimately accept.

      Delete