Wednesday, May 20, 2026


One of my pottery pieces.  I like how the cobalt stain showed up under the glaze.

We had new windows installed last week.  This is Jack's room, complete with Lego.

I hate chaos but I did pretty well with the mess.  The front room window damn near killed the young guys installing the windows.  The window is eight feet tall and triple paned.  Hopefully it will keep the house cooler this summer.  The plants are back in place, everything is back in place and Charlie can now relax again.


The windows were crappy windows, twenty-six years old and needed to be replaced, so I'm glad they're done.  We also had white plastic trim put around the windows so that I won't have to paint the trim as I age, seemed like a wise choice so that we can age in place.

Yesterday I went to see the new counselor for Jack.  She was wonderful and at the end of the hour, I had hope that she can help make his life better, not just now, but in the future as well.  She listened to me tell his story, along with everything else (felt like verbal diarrhea) and then asked, "Who do you talk to?  Who supports you?"

My main support is my best friend who has multiply myeloma, which of course made me cry when I told her.  And now I have new friends through my pottery and book club, and those ladies are amazing too.  I may vent to them as well, maybe:)

The counselor has a lot of experience with trauma attachment, how it happens, how it affects people, and how to mitigate the damage.  She also said that she will work with Jack, and with me and Jack as well.  It is a collaborative process.  

So that's it.  Life continues on.  Jack's cough lingers.  I'm off to walk the dogs before pottery this morning.  And then pottery, friends, and laughter (good for the soul).































 

32 comments:

  1. I think you published your photos twice! :)

    The windows look great, and yeah, here's hoping they help with energy bills and insulation. I'm glad you met with Jack's counselor and she's open to helping both of you. That sounds like an ideal situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about the second set of photos. I had wondered where they went:)
      I'm hopeful about the new counselor for him too.

      Delete
  2. My windows are 30 years old and need replacing but I shudder at the cost. (and chaos) Plus, I'm never sure who to trust or who is reputable. So many guys come to my door trying to sell me new windows. I'm happy you've found a counselor and think highly of her. Trust in the therapy (and therapist) is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All thirteen of the windows (no doors were replaced) cost $22,000. I went online and checked out some companies, looked at reviews, and then got two quotes. The chaos was not bad at all and almost all of the windows were installed in two days. The guys were so nice. It took me a day to clean and put everything back in place. It really wasn't that bad.

      Delete
  3. Glad the new therapist sounds so promising! I like the vase you made and yes, that cobalt glaze in the stamped design is gorgeous. (I laughed at the "poetry" meme too). And of course, I spotted that Pride flag by your computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I stole that Pride flag from Southgate Mall. They had a bunch of them and I loved them, so I might have taken one.

      Delete
  4. I held my breath for hours when I got my windows replaced, particularly the 92" x72" patio door! It weighed about 300 lbs, frame plus double glazing, and took three sturdy men to get it over the fence and onto the patio to install. But as you say, new windows made a huge difference to heating and cooling costs.
    I'm really glad you have your pottery to help balance out the stresses!
    Jack's counselor sounds very good -- aware of your needs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard work, installing windows. I'm glad your install went well too.
      I wish I had more time for pottery, but I'll take what I can get.

      Delete
  5. New pottery, new windows, new counselor...renewed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that pottery piece. Blue is my favorite color and I have a lot of things very similar to that in my house. Good that you got the windows replaced and it is over and done. And great that you found a counselor that will help both you and Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trauma attachment is a problem when children are separated, for one reason or another, before they're three I think. Trump was two when his mom disappeared for six months, she was in hospital. It would explain a lot about him.

      Delete
  7. We desperately need new windows here and I don't know about where you are but every structure with windows in Florida has to use the kind that are supposed to withstand powerful winds. As in hurricane winds. And they cost a fortune.
    What doesn't?
    I love your vase and yes, the glaze turned out to be very interesting.
    Sounds like you have found the right counselor. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have hurricanes thankfully but I did a quick search online and it looks like they cost about what we paid per window. I'm guessing you have a lot more windows though because it's an old house. The windows are triple paned and have a coating which reflects heat.
      I'm working on my pottery at home this morning. A left handed mug for a friend who is left handed. I hope she likes it.

      Delete
  8. You do find the funniest memes.
    The counsellor sounds very promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy a good laugh, always. I'm hopeful about the counselor for Jack too.

      Delete
  9. The window in Jack's room looks like an impressionist painting: "Spring in Alberta" by N.Pixie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the pear tree in blossom. Definitely "Spring in Alberta".

      Delete
  10. When I first saw your pottery I was very impressed! I have taken pottery classes and never ended up with what you take home. Be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That new counselor sounds like a gem. I'm so glad she realizes that you need support too. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need support but I forget that sometimes.

      Delete
  12. Ha ha, I had to do a double-take on that joke! I'm so glad you've found a counsellor who seems to understand what Jack (and you) are going through. Her asking who supports you is a very good sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She knew the program we had been denied entry to and she wants to help us. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  13. I love the pottery piece. Just stunning. An art that I just love. I have collected so many pieces. I cannot part with any of it either. No commercial crap all unique. I am glad to hear Jack has found a good counselor. It will make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. My collection of pottery is building up. I need to start giving more of it away:)

      Delete
  14. I love the vase and the blue tinge to it. It's unfortunate that Gracie's family enables bad behavior. It's hard on Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard on Jack and we pick up the pieces.

      Delete
  15. I am quite fond of Kobolt Blue; the piece is a pretty one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I love the blue too. Reminds me Delft blue.

      Delete
  16. I'm so glad to catch up a bit here, and I'm awed by your continued resilience and wisdom. The pottery is beautiful, and the new therapist sounds like she will really help you and the little guy. Much love to you, old friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always so glad to see your photo. I am in awe of your resilience and wisdom as well. You are an amazing mama to your girl and to your sons.

      Delete