Spring has finally arrived. I burned some old branches this morning and planted the rest of my tomato plants. I walked both the dogs, not at the same time, and I changed all the bedding to the summer quilts and summer sheets. I even gave my mattress a turn for good measure.
Yesterday we paid off our mortgage. We are very happy and will have a surplus every month now. Not even sure what we'll do with that. We still have one more bathroom, the master bedroom ensuite, which needs to be gutted and redone.
I talked my brother the other day for almost an hour. He's retired now and much happier. His wife is going to retire in 18 months and they're looking forward to that. They're also going to move back to Red Deer to be near her mother and some of her sisters. They'll only be a two hour drive away. I am excited and so looking forward to seeing more of them. My sister is law is more like a sister to me and is one of the best people I know.
My brother and I were talking about my dad and how afraid of the world he was and how all of his control issues really came down to the fact that he wanted to keep his family safe. I don't think he ever felt safe growing up and certainly didn't during the war either. He never got over the war and it coloured everything that came after. The anger and control were how he coped with what happened.
Of course children run from control and anger scares the shit out of them (it did me anyway). Dad's anger controlled the house because nobody wanted dad to be angry, it was too awful. But as we aged, my brother and I, our world got bigger and we grew less afraid of dad. And as I write these words I know my dad would have been horrified to know that we were afraid of him and his anger. He did his best and it was better by far that what his parents were able to do for him. We had a roof over our heads, shoes on our feet, he didn't hit us, and we never went hungry. By his standards he was an amazing dad.
My husband has a hard time with my son and Jack's other family. He doesn't want them to hurt Jack, except they will hurt Jack. All parents hurt their children at sometime, even the best parents. All children hurt their parents. It seems to be the way of the world. We can't protect Jack from hurt and suffering, all we can do is to give him the skills he will need to deal with the pain and suffering life will most certainly mete out to him. He will probably break at least one bone. He will have his heart broken more than once. He will be disappointed a lot by those he loves and even those he holds in high esteem. Life is not about avoiding suffering, but in finding some kind of meaning in the suffering that does happen. At least that's what I think.


Congratulations on paying off the mortgage! That's a big one.
ReplyDeleteIt's a wonderful feeling and a huge weight off our shoulders.
DeleteThat's great that you paid off your mortgage! I know it must feel good to now have additional money to have each month. When you were talking about your brother and sister-in-law, it reminded me of how close I am to my own sister and her husband. I am glad that they'll be living closer to you now. My sister lives up in Boston, which is a miserable 10 hour drive (at best).
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing my brother and sister in law more often. Her and I both like to walk and talk.
DeleteYour last paragraph sums up exactly how life works. Resilience skills are what it's all about.
ReplyDeleteYep. We all need them and we either learn them when we're young, or we struggle to learn them when we're older (me).
DeleteWe sold an investment property in the early 2000s and paid off our mortgage. It was a wonderful feeling.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a great chat with your brother, as you remembered things together.
You are right. Life is not always good, and you need to be able to deal with this fact. I'm not sure many young people are prepared for this nowadays.
I know I wasn't prepared for life to be so hard, but I'm learning slowly how to deal with things:)
DeleteIt's a great feeling to have your mortgage paid off. Less outgo each month. It's interesting that you came to see your father through adult eyes, with understanding. A lot of people don't get there. You're very evolved!
ReplyDeleteMy father was such a difficult man but he's been dead for twenty-six years and I've had time to see him more clearly, and realize why he did the things he did. He was trying his best.
DeleteI wish I could have talks like that with my brother. He has blocked so much of what went on in our house and gets terribly angry if I bring up memories of mine. His mantra is "That never happened!"
ReplyDeleteIt was my mother's mantra too.
I think you attitude about Jack and his raising is very healthy. We cannot protect our young ones from all that life with throw at them. Best to give them the skills to cope and the belief that they will be able to. I'm sure you've read this poem:
This Be The Verse
By Philip Larkin
They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.
But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.
Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.
That's such an excellent poem. Life is hard, all that I can do his give him the skills he'll need to survive the bad times and hopefully learn from them.
DeleteParents are bound to pass along their anxieties but hopefully their skills as well. I think my "balance sheet" was a net positive in that regard -- I can eye-roll about my parents' foibles but overall I think I gained more than I was hurt or harmed. I realize not everyone can say that.
ReplyDeleteI think your parents did a great job:)
DeleteCongratulations on paying off your mortgage! It's so good that you have a pleasant relationship with your brother.
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't always a good relationship but it is now and I'm so thankful.
DeleteCongratulations on paying off the mortgage! It's a great feeling isn't it? Great news that your brother is moving closer. Nice to have a support network closer especially as we age.
ReplyDeleteIt will be wonderful to have my brother and his wife so close. Right now they're a 12 hour drive away.
DeleteMortgage free - isn't it an amazing feeling?
ReplyDeleteI find as I get older I think about the shit my mother dumped on me and am able to forgive her as I realise the shit her mother dumped on her was way worse. I tell my kids that I tried my hardest not to repeat the mistakes my parents made - I made my own instead!!
We do our best with what we have at the time and when we know better, we do better.
DeleteMortgage-free! Woo Hoo!!!!
ReplyDeleteYes!
DeleteI join the conga line of congratulations on the mortgage. !
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteOh I remember paying off the mortgage. Such a good feeling!
ReplyDeleteIt is a very good feeling.
DeleteThis is a beautiful and poignant post--how did I miss it? I agree with you 100% that we need to prepare ourselves and our children for suffering and hurt. It WILL happen. We need to have strategies for dealing with it and moving forward. I paid off my mortgage when I retired and loved the feeling! (except that I still have to pay my property taxes and insurance) Today is rainy but we've had many gorgeous spring days; they are uplifting!
ReplyDeleteIt's supposed to be hot here until the weekend. I am no longer a fan of hot weather.
DeleteAs for kids and grandkids, the best thing we can do is prepare them for a future of dealing with awful things, in a healthy way. I never learned how to do that and I'm now learning, along with Jack. Maybe there is a reason he came into my life:)
I forgot to log in, but you know where I am. :)
ReplyDelete