Monday, January 5, 2026

I haven't taken any photos the last couple of days so here is a small town in Newfoundland, I couldn't even tell you the name of the town but it was lovely.

Nothing much seems to change.  trump fuckery continues.  I wonder when someone will have had enough and send in their special forces and kidnap him.  I guess we live in interesting times.  My grandmother lived through two world wars and I have no desire to match that.  She also survived a divorce in the 1940's and three pregnant unmarried daughters.  I wonder which was the most distressing for her.  I'll never know.

It's cold here, still, so a day of housework and laundry, maybe some quilting, and definitely some groceries.  Jack woke up this morning eager to go to school and I am at loose ends.  

My son continues to do well, doing what he says he's going to do and showing up when he says he will show up.  I'm thankful he's sober and I'm hopeful he stays sober, for him and for his sons who need him.

Katie is back to normal.  Part of her issue has to do with her house I think.  Before Christmas workmen arrived to tear up the rugs in the house and started installing flooring.  Then they stopped over Christmas and all of her stuff was now in the living room.  After Christmas they arrived again, strange men in her house, and they continue to install the new flooring.  Katie is not a fan of different, or strangers in her house.  Who can blame her?  None of us really like disruption in our lives, but we cope.  Katie acts out.  

I'm reading "Entangled Life" by Merlin Sheldrake, a book read by Mr. Pudding after he found a copy of the book while out hiking.  The book is a fascinating read about fungi and how they interact with the world and with us.  During the writing of the book the author tried psilocybin from magic mushrooms and he writes about the experience and how it is being used to treat depression.  The following excerpt is from Wikipedia.

"Research using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) has shown that psilocybin acutely reduces activity in the DMN, temporarily disrupting its connectivity patterns. This disruption is associated with a breakdown of rigid, maladaptive patterns of thought often observed in mood disorders. Subsequent restoration of DMN connectivity has been correlated with improved clinical outcomes, suggesting a potential neural mechanism underlying the therapeutic effects of psilocybin."

I know I have patterns of thought when bad things happen, I start thinking of all of the bad things that have happened, not only in the past, but also in the present.  I round them up and surround myself with them, which does me no good, but it's what my brain does.  I know it's even worse when I'm feeling overwhelmed.  I can manage one bad thing at a time (sort of), but find it difficult to cope when I'm tired, feeling unwell, feeling isolated, or feeling like a bad person.  I wonder if psilocybin therapy would break that pattern and I wonder if I am brave enough to try something like that.  Something to ponder.





 

25 comments:

  1. Bowling is very strenuous! And it tortures a bunch of infrequently used muscles, for optimum pain. I tried it a few times, really hated it and stopped. The climbing facility looks really nice. That is such good news about your son, here's hoping it continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful again, cautiously hopeful.
      My body has recovered from all the activity last week, even my back. The climbing facility was very cool.

      Delete
  2. I'm encouraged about your son. We know it's day by day, and I hope he establishes this life as his norm.
    I don't know about the psychedelic approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he stays sober. He says he can't drink anymore and I hope that's true. He's talking about going into an apprenticeship for carpentry. More hope.

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed that this path on your son's journey means sobriety will stick this time. His boys do need him. Newfoundland looks so beautiful, I have to get out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newfoundland is amazing, filled with beautiful scenery and wonderful people.

      Delete
  4. I'm happy about your son and hope it continues. Only he can decide that, unfortunately. It would be lovely to have more control. Today was back to work and school for my grandson and daughter/son-in-law. I think a normal schedule is comforting for kids (and adults); I wouldn't handle chaos and disruption well so I can understand why Katie acts out when her home is pulled apart. Very stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all like schedules, to a degree. My son was looking forward to going back to work too as he was off for two weeks over Christmas.
      I think the work on her home was just one more stressor that added to all the other stressors triggered her.

      Delete
  5. I’m glad Jack seems to be happy going back to school. It’s harder for the adults who have to organize their lives around the activities of the kids. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I signed him up for an outdoor camp for spring break:)

      Delete
  6. That really is such good news about your son's recent accomplishment. It's a lot and not easy to get there!

    Magic mushrooms would be a great experience -- just make sure you're with someone you trust and have the right dosage. Too much isnt fun.

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. We are all cheering for your son.
    As to mushrooms- I did them many times when I was young. I absolutely know that it is true that they can have powerful (not like LSD powerful though) effects on how we see things, how we interpret things, how we think about things. In short, I am glad I did them. I would do them again. If you've never read Michael Pollan's "How To Change Your Mind," you should check it out. Excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a look at the book. Thanks Mary.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad things with Katie are calming down. It must be so stressful for her to have all those strange men in her space. And I'm REALLY glad your son is doing well and praying he will keep it up, both for his and your sake and for his sons!!! When I first saw that top picture I thought it looked like Norway but either way it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern Europe and Newfoundland look a lot alike from what I've seen in photos. Fingers crossed both Katie and my son continue to do well.

      Delete
  9. I send my best and most hopeful wishes to your son.
    I think I did mushrooms way back when I was living with the hippies in Gloucestershire but I cannot remember any dramatic effect, there was always a lot of giggling and dancing going on, maybe the Cotswolds variant was not as magic as the South American one. But mushrooms are the only item on my bucket list, I am considering traveling to the Netherlands for a guided session (legal) but as I think I'll only do this once, I am waiting for the right time. They mostly offer it to end of life scenarios and I don't think I am quite there yet.
    Yes, I second Michael Pollan's books as recommended by Mary Moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I led a very sheltered life growing up, no drugs, and then I had a baby and no drugs. I didn't realize the Netherlands offered a guided session. Sounds interesting.

      Delete
  10. I'd be fascinated to try shrooms in a therapeutic way (or in any way, honestly). So in Canada you can get them legally? I've never done any kind of hallucinogen and I hope the opportunity eventually arises!

    I didn't read Michael Pollan's book but I believe he did an associated TV special, or limited series, that ran on Netflix and I watched that.

    I'm glad your son is doing so well. That's great news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you can't buy mushrooms legally in Canada, but they do sell them in Vancouver dispensaries. You can book a trip to the Netherlands, and you are so close, where they have mushroom retreats, all supervised and legal.

      Delete
  11. Nice to hear you are reading "Entangled Life" and finding interest in it. Here at the start of the new year, I am pleased to learn that your son appears to have turned a corner in his life. Let's hope he can sustain it. And that's a good photo at the top - seeming to capture something of the character of Newfoundland. Have you looked at "Skote Outdoors"? If not, please give it a whirl some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is excellent, it reminds me of the book "I Contain Multitudes", it's about the microbes which live within us and around us.
      I'm very happy to see my son doing better. It gives me hope.
      I've never heard of Skote Outdoors. OMG it's a good thing those two are young.

      Delete
  12. When I first saw the photo at the top I thought it was a painting because of the brightness of the houses.
    I am happy to hear your son continues to do well, both for you and his sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The houses there are lovely and bright. I don't know why we don't do that in Alberta. It's a mystery.

      Delete
  13. The houses are beautiful but I am glad they are contained to small areas. I hate to see them everywhere and cease to be novelty to wonder at.

    ReplyDelete