Thursday, January 8, 2026


We had a lot of snow last month and I just heard the snowplow go by the house.  Driving up our road has been interesting, even the heavy school buses are struggling.  The delivery drivers are especially interesting to watch as they slide around.

The weather has warmed up enough to take the dogs for walks and we are all enjoying that, Charlie maybe too much:)  Heidi and I did make it to the dog park which was heaven.

Ms. Moon wondered how we dressed for the cold and the snow, good boots, a long down coat, toque, and mitts.  If it's any colder than that amount of winter gear to keep me warm, the dogs feet get too cold anyway and we stay home.  In the winter when it's really cold, I make sure I have a toque and mittens for everyone in the car, should we get stuck on the highway or freeway.  You also get used to the cold over the course of the winter.  There's always a blanket in the back of my car as well.  When it's colder than -20C I stand at the door while the dogs are outside, to remind them to hurry up and pee or poop and get back inside, otherwise their feet get too cold.



I couldn't fall asleep last night until after midnight.  Jack was awake at 11pm, wanting a drink of milk, and then again at 2am, to go to the bathroom and he wanted to go downstairs.  No.  Then he wanted some more milk.  No.  I got a few hours of sleep but today will be an ass dragging kind of day.  I'm thankful I'm retired because I sure couldn't put in an eight hour work day today.

I'm going to Saskatoon next week for one night, to visit a friend and fellow blogger, Stubblejumper.  I've booked the hotel so now I wait for Jack to come down with the flu.  Isn't that how it goes?  My husband's aunt and uncle have been sick with the flu since Christmas Eve.  They're both diabetic.  His aunt has had a stroke and his uncle has had bowel cancer, and they didn't bother to get the flu vaccine.  Why????

I saw the news yesterday about the ICE shooting in Minneapolis.  It's unbelievable and yet here we are.  The irony is that the young woman, shot in the head by ICE, her last name was Good, which kind of says all you need to know about the trump universe.  Apparently it's also okay to just go into a foreign country, when they have what you want, kidnap their president, and just take their oil. I have no more fucks to give.  
  
We all need some sweet and funny today.




27 comments:

  1. Enjoy your trip to S'toon next week and the visit with your blogging buddy! The weather's supposed to be great here, so it probably will be there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the roads are clear and none of us get sick:)

      Delete
  2. You didnt mention a scarf or ski pants... both essentials for me. Sometimes I also wear a balaclava (country road, wind). Even that doesnt keep the eyelashes from icing up or the eyeballs from freezing. Fun, ain't it? - Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the wind is that strong, I don't bother. I'm a fair(ish) weather walked. There also lots of houses and trees around to cut the wind which helps, although not today. Plus I am really tired.
      When it's really cold and I have to wait at the bus stop with Jack, I do wear a scarf and ski pants though.

      Delete
  3. I spent two winters in Wisconsin and all I could think of was how the indigenous people ever survived winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a strong people, the same with the indigenous peoples here in Alberta, and the settlers.

      Delete
  4. I probably mentioned that before but when we were about to leave Africa, the man had one job offered in Thunder Bay and one in London, Ontario, so we seriously considered moving to Canada until someone who had been to Canada to work reassured us that no way would we be able to handle snow and ice for six months of the year. I never regretted not moving there but it was the stories about black flies that made me change my mind.
    Have you heard that they have heated roads and sidewalks in Norway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Well, now you're just being mean. No I didn't know they had heated roads and sidewalks in Norway. Sigh.
      Winters are long here, it's true. We don't have black flies here but they are horrible to deal with, and even worse are the horse flies. Glad we don't have those either, just mosquitos:)

      Delete
  5. Hi Pixie, I have been on a bit of a break concerning blogging. Wow, you sure do have a lot of snow! The crap going on in my country sends me into such sadness that I am having a hard time with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's going on in your country is not your fault. Don't let those bastards grind you down. You are a good man.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't have any of the right gear! It sounds like you have to plan for any eventuality when it's that cold and snowy. I discovered through genealogical research that my late mother-in-law had a half-brother living in Saskatoon. He died before I could get up there to visit. His name was John (Jack) and he looked like my mother-in-law, who never knew of his existence--nor he hers. It was a bit of a skeleton in the closet! I can't stand what's going on and the lies that the administration is telling about the events. AND even worse, people are believing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have your rain gear. It gets cold enough to die if you're stuck outside, so you just make sure you have enough stuff in your vehicle. I've been very lucky that I've only ended up in the ditch once in my life, and I didn't have any of the stuff I needed. It was years ago and someone was kind enough to stop and pick us up.
      It's shocking and sad that people still believe that lies that their own eyes can see are lies. I guess that humans have an infinite ability to deny the truth when it's uncomfortable or scary.

      Delete
  7. The sole bench seat looks very lonely.
    Stupid people not getting vaccinated, costing the health systems more money when they become sick, and who will they pass their infections on to.
    The craziness south of your border just goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand not getting vaccinated, especially if you're elderly and have co-morbidities. It boggles the mind.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I hope nothing interferes with your trip and visit. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't get as cold as you do (well not at my altitude) but as I was out walking the other day my hands and feet were freezing so good old Amazon just delivered hand and foot warmers for next time. We had snow yesterday which I had to shovel but all gone now. I like snow where it needs to be - in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our altitude is 2200 feet, not sure what yours is. Calgary and Jasper are at 3400 feet. As you said, the higher you are, the more snow there is:) Stay warm.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for answering my question about what you wear in this weather. I sort of want a long, down, puffy coat but obviously, there is no need. Not if I stay home or only travel to the even more southern climes. You are hardy souls up there!
    I hope to goodness Jack doesn't come down with the flu and that you do not have to cancel your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so different from where you live. People are used to it, the bugs, the heat, and the humidity. You have air conditioning, we have central heating and lots of layers, and heated car seats:)
      So far it looks like I'll be good to go. Touch wood.

      Delete
  11. Here's hoping Jack's immune system will allow you that short vacation. That would be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nice to get away, even for a day. I'm looking forward to meeting up in real life:)

      Delete
  12. I really like your header photo. I hope you stay well long enough to make your trip. Living in Minnesota at this time is gutting. The whole thing happening to the country is mind blowing. Megalomania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's heart wrenching and disturbing. I wonder how bad it will have to get before people stop denying the truth.

      Delete
  13. That first photo is a stunner. I wish I'd taken it. I love the texture of the snow.

    Good luck on your outing to see Stubblejumper. Why was Jack awake at 2 a.m., I wonder? Maybe it's hard for him to get exercise when it's so cold out, and so he doesn't get tired enough? (Just guessing, obviously!)

    ReplyDelete