Sunday, June 30, 2024

My last day of work was Friday.  I worked Thursday and Friday this past week and on Thursday, they had a potluck luncheon for me which was lovely.  Last weekend the MRI manager and his wife had bought me a gift certificate for Michael's and I remembered a video I had seen of young women at a bridal shower, painting their arms with fabric paint and then hugging the bride to be who was wearing a white shirt.  I thought this was a wonderful idea and bought paint and a t-shirt with the gift certificate.

The first thing one of my young nurses did, was paint a pair of droopy boobs on the t-shirt, complete with nipples.  People signed the shirt and left messages for me on it and near the end of the day, I went around asking people if they wanted to give me a hug.  One of the young nurses, asked if she could put her handprints on the boobs.  Of course I said and so she did.  The afternoon was lovely and I got to say goodbye to people and get lots of hugs. 

Friday was my actual last day, usually a day spent swanning around and chatting with people.  I was the only regular staff on, everybody else was casual.  Usually a CT tech comes out to help us with IVs but they were short staffed so had nobody to spare.  The first problem, a patient whose chart said she'd had a severe allergic (skin peeling off severe) to CT dye (she wasn't, the nurse who charted that made a mistake) and that took half an hour to sort out but I did learn how to look back at the nursing notes made while the patient was in the RAH. 

The next problem was kidney function tests.  Normally we do our own creatinine tests but there is a shortage of the cartridges needed to do this, so we had to draw our own blood, order the tests, print the correct labels and take it down to the lab and none of us really knew how to do that.  That took almost an hour to sort out, plus grumpy, frustrated nurses. 

The next problem was a patient with a strange mark in the middle of her port (implanted vascular access device) that shouldn't have been there.  We had a rad, reluctantly, come to look at, who then wanted a systemic (chemo) nurse to take a look at it.  It wasn't infected, yet, but it wasn't right either.  The decision was made to start an IV instead and the patient informed me she had no veins.  And the poor patient thought she was going to die because of the port problem.  I reassured her while I heated up her arm, nothing catastrophic was going to happen until we could decided properly what do to with her port.  Fortunately, I got a very tiny IV in first time and she was able to have her CT scan without incident.

By the end of all of this, I was late for my break by an hour and half.  I don't do well without food but I held it together, although I did end up crying on my break.  What a shitty last day.  It didn't get much better and we ran our asses off until a regular staff came in at 1pm to cover the last half of the day.  She was surprised to see me and told me to go home, which I finally did.  Wasn't a great day and reinforced my decision to retire.

And then yesterday we took Jack to Brick Fest Live, an overpriced lego thing which Jack thoroughly enjoyed.


This morning the sun is shining and the cat wants to go out and then come in and then go out and then come in.  I've put my sheets on the line to dry and I'm going to take Miss Katie out shortly.



Unless you're a nurse.

26 comments:

  1. That last day took away any feeling of nostalgia for your job, at least for now. You and Katie enjoy the day together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just confirmed what I knew, I'm done. Even two days is too much.

      Delete
  2. Congrats, you made it! Will feel weird for a time, but you will grow to enjoy the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed I made it. When I decided in January, this day seemed too far off and now it's arrived. Yay!

      Delete
  3. That last day was pretty much confirmation that it was time to go. Staffing levels should be better than that. Congratulations to making it through. I had chronic shoulder pain and tightness for YEARS, to the point where I could not turn my head on the bicycle to check for traffic, guess what I do not have anymore since I retired. We are happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm happy too. When Katie lived at home, I had a headache every single day, no more headaches now that she doesn't live with me. No more, or at least a lot less, clenching my jaw.

      Delete
  4. That tee-shirt idea is brilliant. My last year was a bunch of days realizing that I was ready (or needed?) to retire. Your last day was certainly a cluster. :( TOO much stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The t-shirt turned out well and will be my sleep shirt in the summer.

      Delete
  5. I think that might have been the best way to go out- remembering how damn hard it could all be.
    I, too, love the shirt idea. What a sweet thing to have to remember everyone by.
    Jack must have thought he was in heaven amidst all those legos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack had a good time and I love my shirt. It's like a quilt for me.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, what a terrible last day on the job you had. Reminds me that I did no actual work on my last day, but got taken out for lunch and then packed up my office, said my goodbyes and went home!

    That photo of Jack in the LEGO pit is absolutely wonderful! A real keeper! Plus his adorable little pokeman socks! Your comments about Brick Fest Live made me curious so I went online to check out the entrance fees. Holy moly! Why is everything to do with LEGO (including the kits etc) so expensive? It's just plastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WTF! How come that didn't happen for me?
      I don't know why Lego is so expensive, it does last though.

      Delete
  7. Terrible last day, but congratulations on the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, congratulations, you have done it. Never mind the hard day, it'll be a memory. Just that. Take a deep breath and go easy on yourself for a while before the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a rotten last day - but what a lovely send off your colleagues gave you. And now for the first day of the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I have followed you for so long; am so glad to see you retire. I know your patients will miss you, though; you sound like a good soul, and that is what they need (my dad spoke so highly of his nurses during his cancer treatments, and even after; they were just angels to him).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll miss my patients, I got a chance to say goodbye to some of them over the past few months which was good. I wonder who'll I help now:)

      Delete
  11. Congratulations!!! You made it!
    Make your plans, your "bucket 🪣 list" and, tell yourself it doesn't have to be done all at once! Space it all out so you can enjoy whatever is on the list and you can afford to do it!
    Remember to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean I don't have to do everything this week:)

      Delete
  12. Well done on that long hard journey of daily toil!

    I used to think I would never retire but now I hope that I can and the sooner the better. Good to read your blog again♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're writing again. I've missed you.

      Delete
  13. Hi Pixie -- The St Albert Botanic Park is great, plus it's free! However, just FYI, they don't allow dogs to be brought into the park, people only!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me at free. I would never take a dog to a botanic garden, especially my dogs.

      Delete