Thursday, July 4, 2024


I took Miss Katie to a different off leash park last weekend, the one down by the zoo.  It's a huge park, complete with both paved and unpaved pathways along the river; there is even a sprinkling of coyotes, although we didn't see any.

Miss Katie has a list of things she loves most in life:

-babies
-dogs
- horses
-ice cream
-popcorn

Last Sunday she saw a woman with a baby wrap, complete with baby, and the woman had two dogs with her.  I told her that if she had been sitting on a horse, eating popcorn, Katie would have probably died right there and the woman laughed and understood my joke..  We also stopped at the Italtian Centre to buy sandwiches and drinks, so that we could have a picnic lunch.  While we were there, some man asked me if there was something wrong with Katie.  I told him, "No, she's just handicapped."  It seemed like an odd question, but what do I know?  He wasn't rude, just seemed concerned.


Katie had a good time, fresh air, and got to see babies and dogs.  And I actually got a photo of Katie smiling.  It's hard to believe she's thirty-two now.  My baby girl still.

We have another JDR (judicial dispute resolution) next week.  I just got off the phone with our lawyer, I had sent her an email yesterday with our concerns and what we want going forward, including support from my son and the government.  She didn't think that would be a problem.  She asked if we wanted support from Gracie (which made me laugh out loud) and I assured her that was not something we wanted to pursue.  She also suggested we ask for a longer term agreement, like a year, which would give all of us some stability, especially Jack.  

The lawyer also asked me if I think Gracie understands that she can't care for Jack.  I told her that I'm pretty sure that Gracie thinks she can, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.  

Enough dark stuff.

We've been flying kites.

 
And playing at the spray park. 


Otherwise, not much going on.  My house is clean and the laundry is caught up and even put away.  My flowers are blooming away and the sun has come out.  Probably time for a walk with a dog.

27 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of Ms Katie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard to get a good photo of her because she's always moving her head, looking around. I'm pleased with how these two turned out.

      Delete
  2. Your Katie looks lovely! As does your grandson, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Katie is beautiful, but I am a little biased.

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful smile. Let's hope you get all you want from this JDR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie smashed her two front teeth when she was twelve, the dentist did a good job restoring them.

      Delete
  4. Joyful smiles from the kids--such happiness that it makes the world a brighter place. I agree with Katie on several of those things: babies, popcorn and ice cream. I do prefer cats to dogs though and am scared of horses. :) I hope that the next legal proceeding goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every week that I take her out, we visit a dog park so that she can see the dogs. She loves Charlie because he licks her face. Gross, I know.

      Delete
  5. Perfect answer you gave to the man who asked about Katie. I'm glad she had a great day out with her mama. I can't believe that Jessie's thirty-five. She'll always be about seventeen in my mind. My baby girl. Like yours.
    Okay. Now I need to cry.
    Here's hoping you get what you want from the legal system regarding Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie might have been showing the man her forehead, I don't know, she was behind me.
      I hope we get something good too.

      Delete
  6. Two beautiful photos of Katie! Glad you and she had such a fun outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely and there were a lot of happy dogs.

      Delete
  7. And not a look back over your shoulder at work...former work. The word handicapped is no longer used here and I really don't know why. I don't see it as offensive and it is quite descriptive. Your daughter looks lovely and your grandson just grand.
    The spray park looks like a lot of fun.
    I am drumming my fingers waiting to read, 'When did I have time to go to work'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually we say disabled here too but handicapped is not a slur.

      I worked for a few hours this morning, hated it and left. Now I'm picking Jack up to take him back to the spray park. It's 26C here.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, that first picture of Katies is lovely - and then to top it off, Jack in the water! They are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those photos of Jack and Katie were lovely. Smiles are contagious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiles are contagious, in fact, it's the best way to deal with Katie, with a smile on your face.

      Delete
  10. - babies
    - dogs
    - horses
    -ice cream
    -popcorn

    That's not a bad list in many ways - not sure about pop corn or horses, but the rest might just be on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie used to eat a bowl of popcorn every single day when she was growing up, and a bowl of ice cream too. She loves horses too but fell off one a few years ago and is reluctant to get back on them. Maybe one day.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How productive you are at your house! Lovely photos of Jack feeling loved by you guys, with the beautiful kite, and the streaming water. Yes, stability would be good. I like your lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm most productive when I'm bored or stressed:)
      Everybody wants stability, especially children.

      Delete
  13. What a strange question for that man to ask but at first, looking at Katie, one could easily think she's perfectly fine - "normal" in fact - whatever "normal" might mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With neurodivergence, there is only a spectrum now, which is much more realistic and inclusive.

      Delete
  14. Miss Katy looks Joyful. Jack looks like he's growing up so fast!!! I think the longest term arrangement you can manage would provide the stability Jack needs and I do Hope you get some Support awarded and received on a regular basis, it always helps. I agree with Yorkshire Pudding, just looking at Katie she could be perfectly fine... The Man is very much like that too... his Disabilities aren't always evident to all and so sometimes people do ask or need to be told what his limitations are or they would not necessarily know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack is getting so big, it's true. Some financial support would be helpful, so I'm hoping that happens.

      Delete