Friday, February 2, 2024

 

My neighbor is seventy-seven and she still works.  She's lived with her son for the last eleven years, since she left her abusive husband.  Two weeks ago, her trunk latch broke, hubby helped her out with some zip ties.  Her sister requires surgery but also waits hand and foot on her senior, incontinent husband who refuses to wear a daiper.  Other stuff going on too.  Last week, her car wouldn't start, the trunk light had been on for the past four days and had drained the battery.  She sat at Shoppers Drug Mart for hours, waiting for AMA or her son to help her.  Shoppers is 3 km from here, I could have walked it.  

She finally made it home after dark, just as we came home from supper out.  Her son was helping her, had boosted the car and and removed the lightbulb in the trunk.  She started telling me what had happened and then burst into tears, so I gave her a long hug and listened.

She's never asked for help, doesn't like asking for help.  She lived her whole life with an abusive man who threatened to kill her.  The police didn't take her complaints seriously.  She sheilded her two sons from the abuse she suffered.  She's a cancer survivor.  The son she lives with is seriously depressed, an alcoholic and doesn't really talk to her.

I asked her why she didn't call us for help.  Her words, "I don't like to ask for help."  I asked her who convinced her that she isn't allowed to ask for help.  She didn't know and it breaks my heart to see a lovely lady, a hard working woman, so afraid to ask for help.  

She's not alone.  I hate asking for help, although I have improved with age.  I got so used to doing it all that I just did it.  Also, if you don't ask for help, nobody can say no.  You don't make yourself vulnerable, don't open yourself up for hurt.  It's a form of protection that just hurts.  Nobody can do it all.  We all need help sometimes.

Our society also encourages the myth of the individual, that self reliance is all important.  Except we're all babies to begin with, requiring care.  We all get sick, we will all die and unless we have a catastrophic death, we will require care while we're dying.  Humans need each other.  We need a human touch, a hug, a kind word.  We are more a collective than individuals except we seem to have forgotten that.

None of us would eat if there were not farmers.  None of us would be able to buy goods unless other human hands had made them, packaged them, and driven them to our city or town.  When we're ill, we need doctors, nurses, and techs.  All of us rely on each other without even realizing it. 

My lovely neighbor, and me, we isolate ourselves in hopes of avoiding pain and rejection.  It's not possible.  To be alive is to open ourselves to pain and rejection, and to still go on, to deal with it, to forgive, to have compassion with ourselves and those that hurt us.  None of this is easy and life seems filled with suffering, no wonder we seek so desperately to avoid pain.  











11 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and filled with truth. And it's not just our inability to ask for help- it's also often a matter of asking for what we want. For some of us, both of those things are almost impossible and I think they come from the same roots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true. I also hate asking for help but have improved. If others offer, they want to give me the gift of their time and effort; I have learned to graciously accept. (most of the time) Your neighbor's story is very sad. I wish she had more happiness in her life. Her son too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have said it well. This is an area where I have changed, a lot. Once, I wouldn't ask for help, no matter what. Now, I don't wait for it to be offered, if I need it, I ask. In general, people want to help. I hope you and your neighbor can look to one another for help, if simply support. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a story! We have tried, often unsuccessfully, to look after some cantankerous elderly neighbours, and I just managed to persuade one of them to at least use his blood pressure reader, because he refuses to take any "chemicals" . He is a nasty man but gets his cup of tea and whatnots from me so that the gods of karma look down on me and remember me when my time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very true. I think those of us who offer help and are also those who won't ask.
    Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in a independent living home with plenty of staff to "help". Asking for help still remains hard to do, even from our children or siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your neighbour has had such a hard life, but not an uncommon one for women, alas. At least she's no longer with the abusive husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to ask for help and yet have no problem giving it - how stupid is that! When I was born we lived in inner city slums (they were demolished when I was three), but I remember my mom being horrified that I came out of hospital the day after my son was born and was "back at it immediately". She said in her day when a woman had a baby she stayed in bed for the next 10 days and the neighbours took care of the kids and the cooking. We've lost quite a bit with progress haven't we. We really do need to look out for others and get that "village" back! Your poor neighbour - I know how she feels having been in a very abusive marriage but at least I had the good luck to have always kept my job, so I wasn't "beholdin'" to him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your poor neighbor. So much to deal with! I too am reluctant to ask for assistance, and I have no idea why. I suppose it's because I grew up largely unsupervised (with divorced parents who both worked) and learned to be self-reliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wise words. Margaret Thatcher once said, "There's no such thing as society" but she was wrong. Interdependence is everywhere and it always has been. Sometimes we have to put down our shields and reach out. I hope you will reach out to your neighbour again. Sounds like she could do with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sometimes have to remind myself that it is just as essential to know how to receive as to know how to give. This goes for helping and receiving help, too.

    As you mentioned, look around. Almost everything was created by someone else: your walls, the paint on them, the windows, the kitchen tap and sink, your flooring ... on and on it goes. Someone else made it. If you were only relying on yourself in this world you'd be in trouble. You'd be under a roof made of dry grass and boughs, shivering! You certainly wouldn't have running water, a computer or videogames, or television. I point this out to my youngest son who likes to say that people are useless, while he lives among things people who aren't him have made.

    ReplyDelete