Wednesday, January 10, 2024


The weather has taken a turn for the worse.  It snowed for much of yesterday, which I don't mind.  There isn't enough snow to make the roads awful, yet, but it's also supposed to snow all day today again.  It's cold and with the wind chill it's -32C, time for boots, hats and mittens.


I'm off today and thought about taking the dogs to the dog park but they both just came inside from the backyard, holding at least one foot up from the cold, so that's a no go; they were only outside for a few minutes.  I'll cook and do laundry today.  I made a Walmart stop on the way home from dropping off Jack at school and hubby at work, so I have what I need to make chili and Marry Me Chicken.  I made this chicken recipe about a week and a half ago and OMG it was delicious.

I'm counting down the days to retirement in August, 135 days left:)  I still plan on working after I retire but it will be when I want to work.  I'll have more time off and a burden will be lifted off of my shoulders.  Right now when I work, I look ahead and worry about the coming week and think about which days to do laundry, to vacuum, what meals can I make easily when I get home at 4:30pm and we eat at 5pm (for Jack).  I need to know what groceries I need and the list goes on and on.  I'm often too tired to shop or think after work, so a few less days of work will be lovely.  

The thing is, every working mother thinks like this.  One of my coworkers has five children and another has four children; I don't know how they manage.  They also take their children to jiu jitsu lessons, hockey, walk the dog, go out with girlfriends and go to bed after 8pm.  I'm lucky we only have Jack but I am a lot older than my coworkers, old enough to be their mothers.  The thought of going out after supper overwhelms me.  I put on my pyjamas when we get home, I make supper, clean up and give Jack a bath.  I'm even too tired to read.  I look at blogs but my brain doesn't really function well in the evening. That's what I can do right, but there is an end in sight.  To be honest, not really an end, just a change.

Jack starts kindergarten in September and I'm signing him up for kindergarten in the Park here.  I know two things.  Gracie will fuck it up and not register him in time for any school, and Gracie will also go off the rails in August or September, at least, that's what she's done for the last four years.  I will not have her fuck up Jack's first day of school.

Jack is spending time alone with his mom now.  We told Gracie she needed a landline for Jack to call 911 if need be, and we taught Jack how to call 911 and what to tell the people who would answer.  It's a big ask for a little person but he needs to be safe and to feel safe.  Gracie still doesn't have a job and I will not let Jack spend more time with her until she is working again and can prove that she can manage to hold down a job without drinking or drugs.

Work has been busy, always new patients for staging.  I had a patient yesterday with IBM yesterday, I'd never heard of the disease but he had a lot of muscle wasting, along with his cancer.  And his wife died a month ago, just before Christmas.  His eyes teared up when he told me about his wife and of course I started crying.  Bloody hell, people go through so much suffering sometimes.  

We also had a new nurse start.  She'll be casual and works in systemic which is where patients get their chemo.  I've known her for ten years I guess but we've never really talked much.  Yesterday we talked about the weight of the grief that nurses carry, and how it's never really addressed or acknowledged by our employer.  That weight is what makes me so tired, and her as well apparently.

Perhaps I will do more work with grief when I retire, nurse's grief specifically.  I did take one course on grief about a year a half ago and wanted to do something within our institution, but life.  It could still happen I suppose.


11 comments:

  1. I've heard the raves about Marry Me Chicken and I've printed the recipe, but haven't tried it yet. Good to hear your recommendation as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retirement of sorts, yay! If you can work when you want, it will feel different and your time will be much more flexible. Most people our age (you're younger than I but still close) aren't rearing energetic little ones so give yourself a ton of credit for that. I think you would be excellent at grief work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it's so different as we age. I don't know how I would do what you are doing. Probably not well. I think you will find it very different to work after retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you for taking retirement. I went very early, earlier than I should have financially, but it was amazing how many things quit hurting after I left the job. I can not believe Jack is now starting kindergarten. Time does fly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to imagine -32C, never been below -20C. And there I was complaining about here at -8C which people refer to as Siberian. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister's feet bothered her a lot while working on the hard floors of a nursing home, even part-time, and it took her about two years to decide to retire. When she finally did, the feet are not a problem anymore. Allison is right. It will make a huge difference. I'm happy for you.

    I must've missed your entry about Jack spending time alone with his mother now. I hope that works out for him. It's scary, with her history.

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think when we're younger we just hit the ground running and don't really think too much of the "5 kids, full-time job" etc. But we don't have that energy when we get older do we!!! But I'm so, so happy for you that you will soon be retiring. You need a break from all that running around and I'm sure it will be the making of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps after retirement you could become a part-time counsellor for nurses who might be struggling under the weight of grief and other bottled up emotions that stem directly from their work. Sometimes all that people need is someone who is good at both listening and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos, by the way. You will like retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 37paddington: the grief that nurses carry must be immense. I’m so grateful you do this work. You are special humans. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. People do go thru so much suffering and you are on one of those Front Line Careers that sees it daily, Bless you. I can see why you look forward to Retirement and I know how much less stressful it is to work only when you want to. I like Semi-Retirement for that reason, it provides necessary options when you get to an Age where the Grind is maybe too much anymore. I can't even Believe how I did it when Younger and juggling everything, I was holding down demanding Careers, doing Volunteer Work and Raising Two Generations... then Caregiving Full Time. I must have been out of my Mind to assume that wouldn't wreck me. *LOL* I do Hope Gracie doesn't FU Jack's School Days, it's Wise you're Teaching him to be able to do what he needs to, even tho' he's such a little Guy to have that much responsibility. Alas, Addicts or anyone Seriously Disabled, become more like the Kid than the Adult and their Children have no choice but to Grow Up and reverse roles in order to Cope with that unfortunate Hand Dealt.

    ReplyDelete