Monday, January 1, 2024


Last year was a rough year, for so many reasons, and I'm glad to put it behind me.  I am hopeful that this year will be better, at least, I am hopeful that I will deal with things better.  

We've all been sick for the past week, hubby has it the worst.  Last night Jack and I went down to Festival Place, along with everybody else who lives in Sherwood Park, and spent some time there.  The lights were beautiful, we saw some Lego, an ice sculpture and he got to play in the kid's park, in the dark.  It was the last bit I couldn't cope with.  It was dark, there were a million kids, and I was terrified of losing him.  

We never did make it to the fireworks at 8pm, too many people and too much noise for me.  Jack was home and sound asleep by 8pm when I heard the fireworks start, fine by me.

I want to do more for my physical and mental health this year.  My work schedule has been changed, at my request, and I now have every Wednesday off, which means I only ever work two days in a row.  It's all I can manage now.  I'm also applying for my pensions and plan on retiring in September, if everything goes according to plan.  


I put away the tree and all the decorations today. Jack and his Poppa set up train set.  The dogs got walked early, early.  Back to work tomorrow.





 

12 comments:

  1. I truly hope you can retire in September and get away from the stress of your work routine! That should really help make 2024 a much better year for you and your feet and your overall well-being!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my sweet friend. I, too, am hoping for a better year for you. You have been through it and it is your turn for calm and peace. Take care💖 and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Pixie! Great news that your work schedule has been changed to give you a day off after every two days! I hope that will make things easier for you until you retire in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dark and all the people would freak me out too; I'm afraid of getting lost myself! That's an adorable and happy photo of Jack. Your floor is beautiful too! I'm hoping for better days for both of us in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year-wishing you and your family peace, joy, contentment, and health.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done to you for getting your schedule changed - and I bet September can't come soon enough right? Happy new year Pixie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May your plans work out for you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not have liked the situation with all of the kids playing in the dark either. At all. You were wise to bring the boy home get him safely tucked up into bed.
    I hope your husband gets better soon and I hope that this year IS an easier one for you. Good for you for making real plans for that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack looks happy and relaxed. I'm sorry you are feeling well. There seems to be a lot of it going around. You've had much more than your share of stress, let's hope that quiets down. Retirement will help, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great that you are thinking ahead to retirement and working on moderating your schedule in the meantime. I don't blame you for being nervous in the park. I think we have to obey our instincts in those types of situations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Retirement is good. After I left I noticed that my shoulders were no longer hovering around my ears. Stress is just insidious on your body. Jack looks content, and your floor is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That work schedule sounds perfect for now! I've arranged something similar (2 days a week) but always go in whenever asked, too, when someone is away or there's extra work to be done. I have to gird my loins at the thought of working many days in a row, this past week and next. And it's not just age (I'm 64); I've always been this way. Lest I forgot, going through old journals has straightened me out there. Lazy for life!

    ReplyDelete