Wednesday, November 1, 2023


This was my kitchen this morning, a mess and I don't cope well with messes.  I got it all cleaned up, not nearly as bad as my mind thinks it is but I find it overwhelming to look at.  I've also made an appointment for dog training, for Charlie.  Last week, he and Heidi were fighting over a stick in the back yard and Heidi ended up with the two black eyes, bleeding into the whites of her eyes.  She was yelping, I didn't hear her because I had the vacuum on, but the neighbor came over to tell me that Heidi was being hurt.  Heidi was afraid of Charlie for the rest of the day and avoided him.  Charlie has also got into fights over sticks at the dog park.  I was talking to a co worker yesterday and she had concerns about Charlie's aggression and I realized I need to take it seriously.  When I contacted the rescue society that we got him from, they sent me a link for surrendering him back to them, which is not something I'm ready to do right now.  Charlie's a smart dog and I'm hoping training will help him.

I also had a zoom meeting with Katie's psychiatrist this morning. I couldn't get my camera or microphone to work but I troubleshooted the problem and fixed it (turned the computer off and on).  I got to see Katie, haven't seen her in a few weeks because of covid.  She looked good and I told her I'd see her on Sunday.  The psychiatrist also suggested we try less stimulation, rather than more, because of her autism, so we'll work on that.  Noise in particular is a trigger for her.  I'm still concerned about her head banging but the group home is going to focus on looking at triggers for the head banging.  I think it's usually frustration for her, or attention seeking.

Jack dressed up as an astronaut last night and had a good time.  My husband said Jack just announced at one point that he was done and wanted to go home.  I like this photo because you can see Charlie peeking around the corner.  I put the vacuum there to keep him from coming to the door; it works better than a fence.


 Interview with Matthew Perry.  Quite an interesting listen about drug and alcohol abuse, and fame.  It's so sad that he died when he did.  The interview made me cry and I tried so hard to be empathetic with Gracie, but it's hard and I failed.

12 comments:

  1. Someday Gracie will thank you for all you've done for her son. God willing.
    Hey, messy kitchen counters drive me nuts as well. I hate walking in the door to them, or waking to them; and even getting them cleaned gives me immense satisfaction once it's done. (Much as I'm resentful that I'm always the one who does it, and who cleans up after someone else.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can only be empathetic the first 100 times of the same behavior, then it's time for them to deal with their issues, especially as they affect innocent parties. (like children) Jack is adorable in his astronaut uniform--my older two were a tiger and a monkey and the baby wasn't anything except a baby. :) Honestly, the kitchen doesn't look bad to me but I know how clutter affects me and I always feel better when it's under control. So much of our lives aren't under control so we have to take whatever opportunities we can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack is SO cute in that costume. I'm glad he had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that adorable little astronaut!
    Clutter can absolutely make us feel untethered and out of control. I can't stand for my kitchen to have dirty dishes in it or things not in their places. This is not to say that some people would find my kitchen way too cluttered but when everything is where I want it, it seems fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great astronaut costume, Jack! I bet he got lots of candy! I hope that training nips Charlie's aggression in the bud before he gets too out of hand and bites a person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracie has caused too much damage to innocent people and won't face her demons. You are a good person doing good things.
    Fingers crossed you can train Charlie to be less aggressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for taking Charlie's aggression seriously, especially with Jack at home. And doesn't he look adorable in that astronaut suit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which planet is Jack going to? I hope it's Planet Happiness. As for your messy kitchen island - it is disgraceful! By habit, nurses usually keep very tidy homes. I know because I live with one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack is completely and totally adorable in the space suit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pixie ... Are you OK? No new blog since the 1st ... No updates on you and Jack are worrisome! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlie is adorable peering around that corner. I bet he will mellow as he ages, but of course it makes sense to get him some training, too. Heidi shouldn't have to feel scared of him. Jack is also adorable in his astronaut suit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I overwhelm and can't function in visual chaos either and tend to magnify it in my head. Allen and The Son's Autism has become problematic here at Home, coupled with The Man's TBI and slide into early Dementia... so keeping The Men from becoming confrontational with one another is a full time Job. The Grandsons have been asked to make other arrangements since Allen tends to Trigger people with his lack of filter and self-control being the most problematic... he's the Youngest, 20's... so, it's understandable, but understanding something doesn't make how volatile it can get any better and I can't have that in our Home. I feel bad for The Young Prince, it puts him in a difficult Space to hold.

    ReplyDelete