Friday, October 6, 2023


We've been watching a movie this past week with Jack. The movie is called "Soul" and I have to say, it's a wonderful, touching movie.  It's about death, kind of, and our souls and what we want to do with our lives.  The first time I watched it, I ugly cried at the end.  The second time, less ugly.  We never just watch a movie once with Jack, we watch them over and over again.  I like that.

I read an amazing book this past week.  I went to the laundromat to wash our winter quilts last week, and while the quilts were washing, I popped over to Walmart and picked up a book that looked interesting.  That book was "The Freedom Clause" by Hannah Sloane.


It's a book about women and marriage and sex, but it's also about trauma and families and female empowerment.  I read the book in a day, and then had to figure out which of the young women I work with I wanted to pass it along to first.  If you get a chance to read it, I would highly recommend it.

I was going to write about my middle daughter, had a whole paragraph typed out and then realized I was probably crossing a boundary for her.  She's very private, pretty much the opposite of me, so I'll shut up.  Look at me, learning so late in life:)

Jack has been appointed his own lawyer by the court and we take him to meet that lawyer next week.  Should be interesting.  It's through legal aid but I'm not sure who pays for it, us or his mother.  On another note, I spoke to my son a few days ago and he sounded good.  He was sober, working, just got a raise and even asked about his sisters.  Note to self, don't get your hopes us.  Time will tell.

It's Thanksgiving this weekend.  Things I'm thankful for today.

Homemade turkey gravy, Ina Garten's recipe.

A pumpkin pie made from the pumpkin I grew myself in the backyard.

A lawyer who will look out for Jack's best interests.

A beautiful, warm, sunny day with blue skies.

A short dog walk.

Grilled cheese sandwich for supper.

A massage for my sore muscles.

A dishwasher to wash the dishes.

Almond and raspberry tarts that my husband brought home from Sobey's.

Hugs.


What are you thankful for today?

8 comments:

  1. Great thankful list! I need to work on one. I'm trying, but some days, it's rough not to let the negative overpower the rest. I want to see "Soul."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful that you are finally getting a little relief in your life! I'm glad your son is sounding better (long may it last) and that Jack has a legal person to fight for him too! Happy Thanksgiving - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? At this very second I am thankful that you are having a good moment in time where the world doesn't feel quite so much like it's crashing in and you're the only one holding it up.
    That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched that "Soul" movie too, about 6 months ago. Good message in it, I enjoyed it. I'm enjoying pumpkin pie right now too, but not homemade, alas. Safeway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How odd, to be a child so young and have a lawyer! Like the others, I share in thankfulness that things are going well for you and your son at the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about sunshine, warmth, and snow geese here at Golden Grain Farm today. I'm grateful every time there is a day like this and I get to stay home.
    Happy Thanksgiving my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so pleased things are looking up and you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Like all the rest, I'm grateful that you are in less turmoil and perhaps there will be some peace. It's interesting that Jack has a lawyer, in Washington state there would be a guardian ad litum (spelling approximate) who is a trained lay person to protect the child's interests.

    ReplyDelete