Tuesday, September 26, 2023




The dog park has turned into a stunning display of fall colours.  September is my favourite month, with it's warm days, cool nights and beautiful leaves.  Charlie is fairly reliable now, with regards to recall.  I have noticed though that he reminded me of Lucy, our beagle.  When Lucy put her head down and started sniffing, her ears turned off.  When Charlie starts running full out, his ears turn off too.  We think he has some greyhound in him, judging from his body type and how he runs.  Apparently greyhounds don't have the greatest recall when they're running, so that's probably it.  I've noticed now though, when we walk in the woods, he runs ahead and then comes back to check on me, and then runs ahead again.  When we're out on the field though, he just goes and ignores me.  

My daughter also suggested a harness when he's walking on leash and that's been helpful as well.  He's a lovely, sweet dog but he came close to being kicked to the curb.  I'm thankful I persevered, and thankful to my husband and my daughter for their input as well.

I'm off to court again this morning, but things will be put off to the end of October.  Today is the birthday of Jack's maternal grandpa and October 17th is the anniversary of his suicide.  Things can wait and I don't want to add to their misery.  On the upside, Jack hasn't seen much of his mom and has only spent one night with his aunt and uncle, so he's thriving on the predictability of his life right now.  He's happy and eating well.  

I'm feeling good mentally but physically the cold from hell lingers on.  I didn't visit Katie on Sunday because I needed the rest before going back to work.  Turned out for the best, last night I got a text message from Katie's caregiver and Katie has covid.  Poor girl, she caught it from her roommate.  

My brother from BC will be visiting this week, so I'll get to see him.  He's an odd duck, like me, suffers from depression, and pushes people away from him.  Men in general don't like feeling vulnerable, I don't think.  Women have a lifetime of experience feeling vulnerable.  It changes us, but so does menopause.  I've noticed some of my coworkers have been going through menopause and they are changing, less willing to put up with the usual shit.  

While I was away, sometime this summer, a patient from Jasper told the CT tech's, that I had been hiking on a trail, near Maligne Lake, when a storm came up and I had to be evacuated by helicopter to safety.  News to me.  The techs asked me about it yesterday and I assured them that I had not been hiking.  This particular hike involves four nights of camping.  I am not a camper, nor is my husband.  But it does beg the question, who was the patient?  And who did he think I was?  He had the right name but camping is not my jam.  A mystery.

Otherwise, life goes on.  My husband has a retirement party to go to this week, for a man he worked with for over forty years.  I have to make a casserole for a going away party tomorrow.  One of our temp nurses is going back to her regular unit.  I'll miss her.  She sings and dances which I love.

Jack learned what a shart is this week.  The learning never ends:)








 a staff member

12 comments:

  1. Maybe you have a doppelganger who was the one rescued from the hike? That could be interesting! And oh my, that pie shart -- LOLOL, so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're young and when you are old ... shart happens!! Diapers and Depends ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had basset hounds and greyhounds. They do not hear you when on the sniff or the run. I can see greyhound in Charlie. Good news that Jack is feeling secure and that his learning continues. Pie Shart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have at least four friends with the first name as you, so it is a popular name for our age group (although you're younger than I am); perhaps the patient got you confused with another person who shares your first name. Glad that Charlie is making progress and delighted that Jack is settling in and feeling more secure. I too like September; it's far enough way from the holidays that I'm not stressed out--yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are only two people with my name, in our hospital, and I'm one of them. I'm also the only one with my name in our department. Very strange.

      Delete
  5. It's good to have figured out what may be Charlie's problem when it comes to being called back. With understanding can come solution.
    This is true for many things, isn't it? Like understanding that women, when they go through menopause, no longer have the desire to please everyone. Solution? Don't ask them to do shit for you that you could do yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very glad Charlie was not kicked to the curb. I'm sure he is too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How bizarre, that camping story! I guess it must have been someone with the same (or similar) name as yours? Have you tried Googling?

    It does seem entirely likely that Charlie is part greyhound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hospital is very small and my department is even smaller. It's a complete mystery as to why the patient thought it was me.

      Delete
  8. I hope you have a good visit with your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shart comic is hilarious! Glad that Charlie is doing better with returning. My dogs were always difficult about that - drove me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will be good to see your brother. I find another thing I embraced as I got older is not needing people to be other than who they are. You understand your brother and dont take his space guarding personally. I am so thrilled every time I know Jack is in a predicatable cycle.

    ReplyDelete