Friday, August 11, 2023



The asters are blooming, fall is coming.

Grief is a strange creature, even when you know it's coming, it's still so painful.  You would think that the last two years of grieving for the man who was slowly leaving us would have been enough, but no, the grief that I feel this week is fresh and painful.  I also thought, he's my father in law, I've only know this man for seven years, it won't hurt as much, but none of that mattered.  The fresh grief arrived on Monday night, my body slowed down, I kept crying, everything became more difficult.  My poor husband is overcome with grief.  His back seized up and now he's sick.  Grief will not be ignored.  It insists it be dealt with, one way or another.

The grief my husband and I feel is complicated by his fractured family, who all hold their anger close to their hearts, as if that's all they have left of their family.  We were made to feel deeply unwelcome by my sister in law when we last visited my father in law.  She threatened to have me removed from the room, my sin, touching her father.  The funeral will be no different and we have decided to remember Art in our own way.  My husband made peace with his father in the past year and so did my brother in law.  Attending a funeral where nobody will awknowledge us will just cause more pain, not attending the funeral will mean that we are as awful as the family thinks we are.  There is no way to win this, except to care for ourselves. 


In the last month, my grandson was retraumatized by his mother, my daughter was retraumatized by her father and I came up against some very visceral anger directed towards me, because I was married to my husband.  Anger is something I'm very familiar with, having grown up with an angry father, but I'm learning to understand it better.  The anger of others usually has nothing to do with me.  It exists in the other person and I am merely someplace to dump that anger.  I do it myself and always feel badly afterwards.  This week I have been angry and then stop myself, it's grief I remind myself, you're not angry at the person in the car in front of you.  Sometimes that works, sometimes I just get angry and swear, a lot.

My daughter is getting therapy to help her deal with her father's anger, which has nothing to do with her.  My grandson will be starting therapy next month to help him deal with his mother's anger, which has nothing to do with him.  And me, I'm learning to trust my gut, to believe what I feel and to understand that another's anger is about them, not me.  My sister in law can hold her anger as close as she wants; I know that it will only keep others away.  I've seen it in my own family and I've experienced it myself.  It seems that anger keeps you safe, it's big, it's scary, and it feels empowering.  But what anger really is a fortress of solitude for a person to sit in, by themselves, nursing old wounds.  Anger pushes everyone away and ultimately destroys relationships.  It's not how I want to spend my remaining days.  

12 comments:

  1. And anger can also be a substitution emotion for deep sadness and grief because those two things make us feel weak and helpless while anger makes us feel powerful. Lashing out is easier than going within.
    It takes so much work to undo the harm that families have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You expressed this beautifully. I am sorry about all the stress adding onto the grief. You are right that you can only take care of yourselves and let the rest go. Hard to do, especially considering all the emotions involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel this so deeply. This is how it was with my husband's sister, and she died without the family ever healing the rift. It saddens me no end, and now I also feel guilty because lately I am aware of a feeling of relief that I no longer have to carry the hope of reconciliation, a vain hope as it turned out. Perhaps in our next life. Who knows. I am so sorry for your loss, and for your grief being complicated by anger. May you soon find peace, and may therapy give Jack the tools to deal with all that is beyond his control or understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like this is a hard period for everyone, with a lot of emotion swirling around. I think your instinct to back away from it is probably a good one. Once things settle down, maybe there can be time for some healing. I also think it's great that Jack is getting some therapy to help him understand the situation with his parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anger is always a secondary emotion and covers up something else: guilt, sadness, fear, etc. You are correct to let go of it since it's corrosive to the person and to all around him/her. However, I still have to feel it sometimes before I remind myself (logically) of its actual origin. I'm not an angry person although I do have a temper at times. Especially when people drive crazily! I also believed that because my husband had terminal cancer that I would be able to skip some of the grief process. It didn't happen that way. I don't know that we're ever prepared for the complete and final loss of our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anger is usually more to do with those that feel the anger than it is to do with the targets of it. Anger can be like a cancer, chewing you up inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're wise to skip the funeral. They're for the living, and it doesn't sound like it would provide any comfort for you or your husband. Here's hoping you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very wise words about anger. I'm glad you and your husband will honour his father in your own way and on your own terms. That will probably be very healing for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wiser words I have not heard in awhile. Grief, as uncomfortable as it is, belongs. It serves a purpose. Thank you for reminding me that angry people are just that....angry. I didn't cause it and I can't fix it. I bow to your wisdom today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grief comes in waves. We need to feel it. Anger is entirely different. You are wise not to mix the two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are on to something here! Anger is like burning in Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plus you don't get any points in life for the anger you hold AND nobody cares that you do that anyway! The angry person only hurts themself.

    ReplyDelete