Tuesday, August 29, 2023




I'm worn out.  Charlie, the new dog, is shedding at an alarming rate.  After some research online, I decided it may be because I'm bathing him too often. I'm bathing him so often because the off leash dog park that we go to, has a mudhole filled with water, and he stinks when we get home.  He stinks in the car too, so I'm also washing the dog blankets in the car and the towels used to clean him.  I'm also using the wrong shampoo for Charlie.  I have never seen so much dog hair in my life, ever.  Even roomba can't keep up.  Jack seems to be sensitive to all the dog hair and he's congested and red nosed.  So there's that too.  I've washed all dog blankets in the house and even cleaned the furniture to try to reduce the amount of dander in the house.  Jack doesn't need to lose something else he loves.

I guess it's time to find another dog park or keep him on his leash while at the dog park.  Sigh.  It'll be better once the snow flies but that's a couple of months away still.  Today it's hot as hell with a high of 33C, which is too damned hot.  I took the day off because we had too many nurses at work.  When I came back home, I took the dogs to the dog park before it got too hot. There was an older woman, older than me, who had a young lab on a leash.  Charlie wanted to play and the woman was not happy with Charlie or me.  Charlie still has very limited recall and I haven't done anything all summer to train him, so this is on me, but it's been a kind of shitty summer with everything and the thought of training a dog makes me want to cry.

Jack is doing well which is nice.  His aunt and uncle, who take him on weekends, went to Lebannon and Dubai for an unknown length of time.  Not sure when they'll be back.  And Jack's other grandma is leaving this week to go to Toronto, so no help with him this long weekend.  Sigh.  His behavior is much improved, and his anxiety has decreased.  He never asks for him mom which is sad.  But he is still so active that he wears us out.

Gracie went into rehab yesterday, so she'll be good for awhile, until she's not again.  Her mom was able to serve her the court papers for day to day parenting before she went into rehab, and she accepted them.  I even found my son and served him.  He does not seem to care at all, and thought we already had day to day parenting of Jack.  My son looked much better than when I saw him in January.  He was sober and clean.

So housework, vacuuming and laundry are about all I've been doing for the last week and I'm fucking tired of it.  I'm not a fan of housework but I dislike a dirty house even more.  So I'm tired and bitchy, sleeping in the basement with a four year old boy who kicks all night.  

Things I'm thankful for today.

NOTHING!


13 comments:

  1. Sometimes everything piles on at once and being grateful would be insincere which you are NOT. I'm glad that Jack is doing well at least and that your son (for now) is clean and sober. I hope it lasts. It seems like Jack's maternal relatives just take off whenever they want without thought to anyone else. I can't imagine having complete charge of my 3 year old grandson--you are fortunate to have the big guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HIs maternal relatives do take off on vacations (I know they are grieving but still) and I hate to say it I find it interesting that they finally agree with the day to day parenting when both of them are going on vacation, esp with one set for an extended period of time :/

      Delete
  2. You have my sincere sympathy on the shedding. My German Shedder was unbelievable. She died in June and I'm still cleaning up her hair! I've used coconut oil in the food, which with other dogs helped. It made Keetah sick, so I gave her flaxseed meal. I can't say it helped. I don't know if Charlie is nervous, but nervous dogs shed more. I'm so happy that the papers got signed and that Jack is better. This is great news. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our very short haired dog sheds heavily twice a year and lightly the rest of the year. I’ve read that dogs who shed seasonally do so in response to changes in sunlight duration, so fall and spring. And just like humans, dogs probably lose more hair when they’re stressed or going through hormonal changes. Have you tried a furminator brush? It worked really well for our previous short haired dog who had a double coat mostly on her neck and shoulders. I’m allergic to dogs (tested at allergy doctor) and do best when I’ve bathed our dog and her blankets weekly. Also, if I’ve been without dog contact for several weeks, such as when I’m on vacation, my dog allergy is worse when I come back home to our dog. The first time that happened, I tried an otc homeopathic remedy and it helped tremendously(!??!) bizarrely enough. Nowadays, I try to pet a dog somewhat (ir)regularly on my travels.

    I totally relate to hating housework. Hope you are able to find some remedies that work for you and your family❤️.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't hate housework, but I don't think of doing it until I notice something is disgustsing, and then I often walk on by and carry on. I found a cleaner though! She only comes out once a month for two hours and does the bathroom and washes the floors, and that's enough to make it easy to keep things up in between visits -- and it motivates me, too, to sweep floors, and so on, once in a while. (I only work part-time so hiring a cleaner is looked at askance by some, who think women should do their own household's cleaning unless they work fulltime and/or have a shitload of money; screw that idea. I have other things to do with my free time and am happy to hand her my cash when she leaves.) Maybe this is something that would be helpful to you? It sure takes a load off my mind because, like you, I prefer to live in a clean house.

    I'm looking forward to the day when our grandchildren sleep through the night without kicking, spinning in circles, or waking up in the wee hours crying for their mom or having wet the bed. I need my ZZZZZs and guard them carefully, so haven't let them sleep in our bed if I'm in it. You've gone above and beyond, Grandma!

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is absolutely no virtue to suffering in silence. We hear you, and we care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rage on. I've lost count of how many days since I've been "thankful" for whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. Be honest. Always the best policy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update Nurse Lily. Not the happiest period of your life just now but at least you are keeping on keeping on - just as you have always done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes we all just have to vent! Do you think Charlie would improve with a different shampoo, maybe something milder for sensitive dogs (if such a product exists)? Glad your son is doing better and Gracie has gone to rehab.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Imagine the idea of not actually knowing who is in charge of your own child? I hope that there comes a day where your son has the awareness to realize that it is a commentary upon him and who he is more than anything else. If it does, it would mean he is truly recovering.

    Bitch away! We can handle it. And, you've carried ours too♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. All that sounds exhausting to me so I get why you're tired. But at least on the positive side Jack is doing better and his parents are heading in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete