Tuesday, February 28, 2023


The anniversary of my mum's death almost passed without me realizing it.  Both of my parents died in February and it seems to drag me down.  Mum was a beautiful woman but even more importantly she had a wonderful sense of humour, something she passed down to me.  I don't pretend to understand my parent's marriage but they stayed together through thick and thin; their ashes both sit together at the bottom of Ladysmith Harbour on Vancouver Island.  Or more likely, their ashes drifted off, spread wide and far in the Strait of Georgia.

I mostly feel like crying.  There's a long list of things wrong with the world and I drag all of those things together, pile them up around myself, stare at all the pain and hurt in the world and cry.  My heart hurts.  Death and destruction in Ukraine, the same in Turkey and Syria (mother nature and corrupt builders this time), babies who won't know their mama's, the United States seems to be sinking into a dictatorship with the rights of women and girls being smashed under the boots of the Republican party, mass shootings (in the US), climate change and fossil fuels.  Closer to home Lucy is doing worse on the Lasix, her cough and breathing have declined and I realize how much I'll miss her when we finally have to put her down, and how do we decide that time?  And Jack, caught in the world of adults, he doesn't get a say in his life and that breaks my heart too.  He fights for control, all the time, I recognize it and feel the same way myself but it's hard.  And the insurance company is telling me that I can't work.  I hate being told what to do.  I dig in my heels and it brings out the worst sort of bitch in me which makes me sad too.

I just get so tired of feeling depressed.  It comes and goes of it's own accord.  I try to feel better.  I write, I breathe, I walk, I practice gratitude every single night, I take my pills and still it hounds me.  Depression is a life long disease that robs me of good feelings on a regular basis.  It is a bastard.  

Lucy



23 comments:

  1. Hugs to you, Pixie. I hope your spirits lift in March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bastard. Your mum was actually gorgeous.

    For my own mental health, because the black cloud hovers over me always, I have pulled away from most of all you mention. I cannot do anything about it, something I never would have imagined I'd say. Now Jack, that makes me mad. The child doesn't need to be a pawn. There is no way you can detach yourself from him. Know I do care and wish I could help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children are so often pawns, aren't they? He is a control fiend, like me. It's makes him difficult to deal with, often, but I do admire his spunk.

      Delete
  3. All this...I've also been piling all the tragedies of the world around my own worries and feeling overwhelmed. If not depressed, dejected and not very hopeful. You know I'm in your corner and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some days the sadness comes like a wave and you know that it is that, a wave, and it will pass and we carry on.
    One of my oldest friends was my former midwife, she died a good many years ago, and she had seen her share of hardship. But she always said, it's like contractions in labour, it comes, it peaks and it subsides and eventually all is different and you carry on because now you know.
    Your mother is beautiful in that picture. I danced when my mother finally died, I was so relieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a wave is a very apt metaphor, although sometimes it feels like a rogue wave.
      I still miss my mum. She and I used to walk, when she was could still walk well. I miss those walks with her and walking around the garden, because whenever we saw each other, we always had to walk around the garden to see what was coming up and what was new.

      Delete
  5. 37paddington:
    Your mother is beautiful, and so are you. It’s hard to be an empath in this world, and you are that. It’s what makes you so good at the work you chose and now you’re not getting to do it, which must be so hard. All those emotions roiling inside and nowhere to put them. I’m glad you cry. It’s a release of sorts. Hugs, dear friend. I hope tomorrow will be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like I'm stuck in limbo. My foot has healed though, so that's good. When I'm depressed it feels like I can only see the bad stuff going on.

      Delete
  6. Depression is a life-theft. It takes away our desires and our hopes, our ability to see and feel beauty, and it leaves us doubting the love we are given. And so often the only way to get through it is with medication and the knowledge (even though we don't believe it) that it will pass. And it will.
    And yes, our bodies remember anniversaries as do our souls. Your mother was indeed beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life theft is a good way to put it. It will pass but I hate spending so much of life waiting for the depression to pass.

      Delete
  7. Oh, sweetheart, I know what you mean. All of it. Last year my GP changed my meds. I still have crappy days but I have lost the sense of walking through treacle. I wonder if a change of meds would shake things up a bit in a good way.
    Try not to take on the world - you have enough in your own corner and are doing more than most.
    I hope the insurance company gave you a bloody good reason for not returning you to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate changing meds because I've tried so many and found they don't work. Better the devil you know.
      It's been stressful since Jack was born four years ago.

      Delete
  8. That's a beguiling picture of your mother. There seems to be so much behind her eyes. You have a big basket of stuff to weigh you down. It would have broken some people by now. Your resilience is admirable and summer is just round the corner. Keep on keeping on Nurse Lily! It's what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh hon, there is just too much on your plate isn't there!!! Add in all the world's problems and why wouldn't you feel depressed! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry about Lucy's decline, though it's inevitable for all of us and our beloved animals. There IS a lot wrong with the world, it's true. I try not to look at everything in the aggregate, and getting out and taking pictures every day -- even of inconsequential stuff -- helps me see the positive too. It's a balancing act that seems to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is starting to warm up and I'm allowed/encouraged to walk more now that my foot is healed, I'm hopeful. It's sunny right now and I'm going to take Heidi for a walk in the woods.

      Delete
  11. Courage, as Dan Rather used to say. Courage. 'Taint easy, but it's there. Just call it up.

    ReplyDelete