Tuesday, December 20, 2022

 Little Known Facts About Living In A Cold Climate


Cool = above 0C

A little cold =  -5C to 0C

Cold = -6C to -15C

Very cold = -16C to -25C

Cold AF = -26C to -40C

Why Do I Live Here Cold = less than -40C

Fun fact, -40C is also -40F


The inside of the dryer is cold AF when not in use.

The cat will continue to ask to go outside, even when she doesn't want to go out in the cold. 

The car still needs to be plugged in, even in the garage, plugged into a blog heater, when it gets really cold.  

If you leave a bottle of wine in your car, in the garage, it can freeze solid.

Going out for supper/movies/any kind of entertainment/visiting friends, becomes much less enjoyable when you know you have to get in a freezing cold car to drive home in the dark.

You can use the back deck as a fridge/freezer.

Your nose hairs will stick together when you breathe in through your nose.

The ticket machines for parkades need jackets, otherwise they get too cold and won't work, which is something they discovered at my hospital, after the machines were installed one summer.

It takes longer to fill your gas tank, the colder it gets.

Buses will stop for anyone, anywhere when it gets really cold.

The garage door won't open sometimes, without an assist.

The car never really warms up, not even after an hour of driving.

There is an extreme cold advisory today.  Yay.








I think 10C would be more accurate for both Canada and Australia.  I wouldn't let my kids wear shorts until it was 10C.





16 comments:

  1. 😂 I live in Minnesota, so ya, I know all of this! My screened porch becomes a freezer in the winter, more convenient than going to the basement. We plug in the diesel truck or it isn't going anywhere. As an American, I'm getting better about knowing what C is but not there yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In S. Colorado it is 35° F. at 9 a.m. on Tuesday morning. On Thursday the forecast is for 7° during the day and down to 2° that night! We are F in more ways then one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. At one time the US and Canada made a pact to switch to metric, and then the US businesses all pitched a hissy fit and it never happened. I wish we had done it, when I was majoring in toxicology I had to learn metric volumes and it really is easier than remembering how many pints in a gallon, and etc. Every time I am tempted to whine about the cold weather here, I think of you and Edmonton (how did I now know how far north your are?) and realize that I am indeed a weather wimp and could never live there. Excellent tutorial on degrees of cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is - SHIT! Hell no. God, y'all are hearty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, at least we can dress up for the cold! I wear ski pants and so on so don't do too badly most days. But YOU -- the heat down there! and how do you dress cool enough for that! I'm always astounded that you manage to get anything done but lie around and siesta on those hot humid days. -Kate

      Delete
  5. At the moment, it is 47 degrees F in Denver Colorado. On Thursday, they say the high will be -11 degrees F (-24 C). Then, by Saturday we will be able to walk the dog again without him freezing to death! I LOVE living in Colorado!! Never boring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The final one is not far short in some parts of Australia! I won't complain about the cold here ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot imagine temperatures that cold but knew there must be some extraordinary precautions that needed to be taken. Strangely, a few days ago I looked up the freezing temperature of gas and it was -40 F/C. Yikes. We (Washingtonians) don't have the clothing or gear we would require to survive in that climate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't remember where I found you, but I'm River and I live in Australia and have to say at 30C we don't wear fur coats on the beach. we wear swimsuits or shorts and t-shirts plus plenty of sunscreen. But not me. At 30C I'm inside with the airconditioning running to cool me and the cat, who is wearing a fur coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's more hyperbole. It had to be 10C before I would let my kids wear shorts when they were young. And Welcome.

      Delete
  9. I'm missing the cold of the frozen northlands these days, but I realize winter in the Finger Lakes region of NYS can't really compare to what you are experiencing. Amazing. I look forward to snow photos from you as the winter goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now THAT is cold, nothing like what we experience here when we act like its the apocalypse if its in the teens. For some reason I found that bus fact heartening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This morning I have read on another blog that you are not only sick but you have pink eye! How the hell did you manage to contract that ... does Jack have it, too?
    Be well ... get well and don't share the pink eye!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to explain real cold to people who've never experienced it. One British friend was offended no one told her she'd get shocks when she touched a light switch or gas pump in northern Maine. It just didn't occur to us there were places that doesn't happen in the winter. Frozen nose hairs and eyelashes are in that category as well as having to be careful handling plastic bits of the car so they don't shatter because they get so brittle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That last one is so true. I still don't know Celsius and I've lived in the UK for eleven years!

    I have no concept of how cold this kind of cold is. You may as well say 500 below zero. It would mean the same to me.

    ReplyDelete