Wednesday, December 28, 2022





It snowed for much of yesterday and a little more today.  I took Heidi out for a walk behind our house, on the paths.  It was good to feel the cold on my face and breathe in the fresh air.  My plantar fascia tear has healed I think; it doesn't hurt anymore and I'm not limping.  However, my big toe on my left foot is now unhappy because it's being used again.  When I was limping, I didn't push off with my toes when I walked, as we all do, now I have to do that again.  The arthritis in that toe joint is acting up (yes, it makes me feel old to have arthritis in my toes) but hopefully with use it will settle down.  If not, back to the podiatrist.

As I was talking on the phone this morning, I saw a falcon sitting on a spruce.  Before too long, three magpies showed up and chased it away.  Even if you're a falcon, three against one isn't good odds.

Jack has been with his grandma since Christmas day, so we've had a bit of a break.  As always, I miss him when he's not here but enjoy the time my hubby and I have to ourselves.  We had lunch out yesterday as we drove home from Wetaskiwin;  we also watched the last two episodes of Jack Ryan last night.  I quite enjoyed it, but it makes me stressed at times so I have to get up wander around.  My husband's used to this now, me wandering about.  

Nothing much going on here.  I took Heidi for a walk after lunch and put away the Christmas tree and all the decorations which always feels good.  

My middle daughter gave me a workbook by Rupi Kaur, a young Canadian poet, "Healing Through Words".  It's pretty hard core.  The very first chapter is about Hurting and trauma.  Of course I balled my eyes out as I wrote but as always, I find writing and crying quite cathartic.  What did surprise me was how much of an impact my brother in law's drinking had on my life.  I was twelve when he moved out to Alberta to live with my sister again.  I babysat while my sister worked and when he was too drunk to take care of his own children;  my parents were okay with this.  One night I had to listen to him talking on the telephone (long distance when long distance was really expensive in the '70's) to his family back East for three hours.  He kept talking about killing himself.  When I told my sister this, she got mad at me for not stopping him.  He was twice my size and drunk and I was a kid.  So I guess that stayed with me.

I will slowly work away at the book.  It's interesting and it's good to have a writing challenge.

And yay, Christmas is over.  











 

25 comments:

  1. How sad we think Yay Christmas is over but there it is.
    I am glad you can get out walking again. That will make you feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My big toe is sore tonight but it was so nice to get outside for a good walk. I also got the ok for my short term disability today.

      Delete
  2. That was a thoughtful gift from your middle daughter. It has got you writing and thinking. That can't be bad. Going for a walk is one of the best things that any of us can do for our mental health. I hate it when the weather, my physical state or everyday responsibilities prevent me from walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an excellent book for encouraging writing. I've missed walking so much. It's much harder in the winter but it's still so nice to be outside.

      Delete
  3. It's always something, isn't it? Hope the toe quits being painful and you can get out and stay out for walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your toe arthritis might settle down with more use, mine usually does. I also noticed mine flares when I have too much salt the day before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful that some exercises and stretches will help it.

      Delete
  5. I can relate so much to living with a drunk. I actually had YET ANOTHER nightmare early this morning where I (and later my sons) were trying to stop my ex from drinking even more than he already had (in the dream - but which was pretty realistic anyway). The constant, constant stress we lived through for about 20 years was incredible. I can only begin to imagine that responsibility being placed onto a child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alcoholism, that gift that never stops giving.

      Delete
  6. Have you tried taking Turmeric for your arthritis? A few years ago my thumb joints were becoming painful, but after a few months of turmeric capsules they have been fine ever since.I get mine from Amazon......Nutravit. Organic Turmeric with ginger and black pepper (The label is black and orange)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried turmeric, thank you for the info.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad Christmas is over. Now back to reality! Re: your brother-in-law, I have way too many bad memories related to the drinking habits of various family members. It makes me mad, really, to consider how much of my childhood was ruined by alcoholics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad's mum was an alcoholic, but I never met her. She died before I was born but my poor dad was affected by her drinking and he in turn affected his family. But it was my brother in law that taught me how awful alcoholics can be when they're drunk. When my brother in law was sober, he was a nice, quiet man but all of tht disappeared when he was drinking.

      Delete
  8. The ways a family can hurt and harm a child are endless, are they not?
    I have arthritis in my toes too! The knuckles of them are becoming swollen and crooked like the ones in my fingers.
    When I look at that snow scene I imagine that it must be so very quiet. Enjoy the peace while you have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is lovely and quiet. It's like a blanket has been placed over the world and everything becomes muffled. Families hurt each other, don't they. At least that's been my experience.

      Delete
  9. Yay, indeed. That workbook sounds intense but it's probably a good experience to go through all those feelings and memories. I'm surprised three magpies can chase away a falcon, but magpies are pretty big birds, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magpies are a good size, as well as noisy and determined.

      The workbook is theraputic which I like.

      Delete
  10. I have no reason to do Christmas anymore, which is my YAY! Good to read you are better and that you've had a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why I do put up a tree and decorate. Would it make a difference if I didn't?

      Delete
  11. I have arthritis in my right big toe, and it doesn't like the winter at all. The book sounds like an emotional but cathartic experience. Although I had a very nice Xmas, I'm glad it's over too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I second that emotion! Yay it’s over. Still, company for 11 more days. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sound peaceful -- I'm glad that you're writing and working through some things -- creating or having some daily creative practice is essential, I think, to sanity and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year's Eve 😊🎉🍷
    Looking forward to visiting you throughput the New Year!
    Peace to you, your husband and little Jack! ❤🌷

    ReplyDelete
  15. 37paddington:
    That workbook sounds interesting, it obviously digs deep, but what a traumatic experience for a kid. That snow scene looks so serene.

    ReplyDelete