Friday, July 22, 2022




My other little grandson, Charlie, turned one this week.  His mother was kind enough to invite us to his birthday party.  The party was a bust, his mom was tired and stressed but the little guy had a good time and that's all that matters.  His one eye looks red because his big sister tried to put his face in the cake but only managed to get icing in his eye.  We got to meet her family which was interesting.  They've all had difficult lives.  

My garden is coming along nicely, enjoying the heat after a wet, cool spring.


The veg, especially the tomatoes, are growing great guns, as my mum would have said.  Next to the bird feeder in the photo, is a bird house which has been filled with a family of sparrows.
 

I saved some pumpkin seeds from Jack's Halloween pumpkin last year and they've grown well too.  I had no idea how big their blossoms were.





I planted some sunflower seeds on the deck planter and they've grown well too.  I can't wait to see them bloom.  I love yellow flowers.

Life continues on.  Gracie was a huge bitch to me this week when I asked how Jack was.  I think she has borderline personality disorder.  I try really hard to not take things personally when she attacks me but it's hard and this week was really difficult.  Then she wouldn't answer any of my texts or phone calls when I told her we were picking Jack up so I had to contact her mother, who had to contact her sister, to contact Gracie.  So you can see how it goes; lets pull everyone into my dysfunctional life and make their lives hell as well.

Jack is with us and had fun at his brother's birthday party last night.  Tomorrow we're off to the zoo where we'll meet up with my daughter in law (still feels strange writing that) and Charlie. On Sunday Jack is going to another birthday party.  Our neighbor's little girl is turning six and Jack has been invited to her party.  Which reminds me, I have to pick up a barbie doll for her.

Today we're going to Wetaskiwin to visit my father in law who is still with us and is doing well, thankfully.  I'm going to make him a treat to take down for him, kapucijners.  Not something I would view as a treat but he loves them.

I have a hard time allowing people into my life, for many reasons, and my family seems to have exploded in number this year.  It's not a bad thing but it does cause me some stress, more balls to juggle, more people to get along with, more people to worry about.  I was always told that I was a difficult person by my family and my ex-husband and yet the people who know me now think I am a kind, wonderful person and it's confusing to me I guess.  Did I change, or was I just difficult for them?  I have different people in my life now and less stress.  Dealing with Katie's diagnosis and caring for her was the hardest thing I ever had to do, with no support from my family.  It hurt a lot and I imagine I lashed out at them in anger.  But when I look back, my family was never there for me, they never had my back.  I told my brother in law not that long ago that I was the black sheep of the family and I was. I have a lot of hurt still I guess.  So unusual, I know, pain and disfunction in a family, how novel:)  


25 comments:

  1. Raise your hand ✋if you can identify with the dysfunctional family crap! ✋
    For the short time I have been reading your blog, I find you are dealing with the crap with the help of your hubby and friends in the blogging world! Plus that sweet little Jack! You are not alone, sweetie! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband helps, he supports me and loves me, even on crappy days, his and mine. Jack is a good reason to keep going to.

      Delete
  2. I must say, I had never heard of kapucijners. The Dutch and people of Dutch origin eat some weird stuff! i cannot imagine you being a "black sheep" as the care you have alluded to in this blog strongly suggests that you are a very kind and level-headed human being whose urge is to heal and support rather than to smash and bring down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another name of kapucijners is marrow fat peas, the english use them to make mushy peas which sound yuck.
      I am outspoken and very emotional which I imagine a lot of people find difficult to deal with. Just today I broke into a van, in a parking lot, that had a crying baby in it. The doors were locked and the windows open a little and someone had left a baby in the van. The baby was hanging sort of upside down off the seat and crying his little eyes out. I reached in, got the passenger door open, pulled the front seat forward and pulled the little guy out. He stopped crying as soon as I held him. Of course I set off the alarm.
      None of the other people tried to get the baby out though. The father and grandmother came out after a few minutes of the alarm going off and the baby was happy to be with his father again. I don't think they'll ever leave him alone in the car again. I do things like this and it makes other people uncomfortable. Plus I was a bitch when I was young, very unhappy and terrified of conflict.

      Delete
    2. Wow. You did the right thing.

      Delete
  3. When we make others uncomfortable in any way, they see us as difficult. In my case, I can be overly open and truthful which causes some to avoid me. Ah, well. Your little Charlie is adorable and your garden looks amazing! Families are tricky, even ones that aren't obviously dysfunctional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also rather open and I don't have a poker face. Everybody knows what I'm thinking and feeling. I try to tell the truth always but have learned that a lot of people really don't like that. I'm better at keeping my thoughts to myself now.

      Delete
  4. I would love to see Jack and Charlie interacting.
    You know, I think you would like the book by Hannah Gadsby I was talking about on my post. One of my main take-aways from it is how she has learned to protect herself and function using what she has learned about herself rather than trying to be normal. Or "masking". Shouldn't we all do the same? None of us is really normal, whatever that is, and we each have our own needs in order to feel safe. I apologize all the time for being so "weird" and "crazy." I want to stop doing that. I wish we all could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not normal either. I have a filthy mind and mouth and tend not to filter myself but now I'm okay with that. People either like or not. I also read people much better than when I was young. The big guy has taught me a lot too in the time we've been together, about how to deal with people.

      Delete
  5. Charlie has beautiful blue eyes! My mother had a personality disorder, I know well what it is like to be told negative things about yourself. It seems you have people who love and support you....and you have grandchildren! That's a big win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how much damage Gracie will do to Jack and all we can do is provide a safe, stable environment when he's with us, hoping that will give him the resilience he will need to deal with his mother as he grows up.
      Charlie does have beautiful blue eyes and both boys have strawberry blonde hair.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is stunning. Wee Charlie is a cutie. Gracie's issues should not become yours other than in caring for Jack which is hard cos she's a bit of a cow. You are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my garden, everything about it. I'm always moving plants around, trying different things, experimenting, watering, talking to my plants and trees.

      Delete
  7. I've been reading a lot about "families" of late -- and especially about the nuclear family as a kind of patriarchal construct. I hope you can think about the family you've built as opposed to the family that resembles you in blood. Perhaps some of them are related, but many are not. Why do our obligations have to be toward "family," anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an accumulated family, people I love but that are not related to me by blood. I have two friends that I call sisters. I have young friends that I think of as my own children. Now I have a brother in law that I didn't have before and I am back in touch with my brother and his children. Plus I have to deal with Gracie's family and now Charlie's family too. So many permutations.
      I think we feel obligated to our families because for so many thousands of years, people have depended on family.

      Delete
  8. Charlie is gorgeous - I hope his mommy turns out better than Gracie (it sounds like she is already)! And well done you for breaking into that car - but shame on that family for leaving the baby in it. Even if it wasn't hot, what the hell were they doing leaving a baby unattended in a car????? Keep on being "difficult" - you may have just saved a life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too hot for a baby to be left in a vehicle. I'm just I set off the alarm now. At the time, I was shaking.

      Delete
  9. That pumpkin flower is impressive -- and your delphiniums look great too. (Ours died!)

    Family can be a lot for anyone to deal with, but you do have some special challenges. Sorry Gracie was acting out again. It does sound like she has mental health issues. (No news flash there.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m glad you rescued that baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to little Charlie, may he have a happy childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to Charlie! Charlie and Jack are fortunate to have you and the Big Guy as grandparents. Your garden is magical. I'm sure your beautiful lush garden and role as a gardener have made a lasting impression on Jack. I recall that he has helped you in the garden.

    I have a history of fearlessly standing up for other people, especially children, but it's taken much of my life to truly stand up for myself in various situations. Those who were used to being able to intimidate me, beginning with my parents, do not appreciate me when I stand up for myself. When I stood up for myself, my father told me I wasn't "normal" like my sisters. I am no longer afraid to stand up for myself.

    Thank goodness you knew what to do when you saw that baby alone and crying in that car.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was always terrified of my father, but I did stand up to him at times. Conflict still terrifies me though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden is gorgeous. Understanding the why's of you behavior makes it easier to change it. Maya Angelou: once you know better do, you can do better. You cannot change the past but you can change now. You can also change Jack's future.<3

    ReplyDelete