Sunday, July 17, 2022


A photo of Medicine Lake that I took last month when we had a few days in Jasper.  The lake is endlessly fasinating, emptying and refilling over the course of the year, never the same twice.

I've been reading a lot, as per usual.  One of the books was a reread, "When God Was A Rabbit" by Sarah Winman.  An excellent book which is about our own history, how we tell it, who remembers it and what happens when it's lost.  It's mostly a book about a brother and a sister though.  I enjoyed it just as much this second time around and it made me think about our own stories.

The other book that I just finished reading was "The Messy Lifes Of Book People" by Phaedra Patrick.  Her books are lighter fare but this particular book is about writing.  It made me think about writing, about me writing, something I've toyed with for many years, thirty plus years and I guess blogging is a way for me to write too.

I have stories I want to tell and I started writing one and then realized, it's not my story anymore, I'm not tied to my past, it's the characters story.  It was a liberating and slightly terrifying realization.  We shall see how far this goes.  I have a track record of starting out strong and then getting bored and writing is hard work that takes a long time.



Jack's with us this weeknd.  We both missed him terribly last weekend which he spent with his other grandma at the lake.  It was nice to have the break but it's so wonderful to have my back too.  He and I are sleeping in the basement because the house is so hot and he's still sleeping at 8:47.  We went to the spray park the last two days which he's enjoyed and last night he took his supper outside on the deck while our supper cooked.  It was a late supper and everyone was way too hungry.

We took him to see the new Minions movie yesterday but it was not a success.  He only lasted half an hour and then we left.  We thought the Minions would hold his interest but he's still too young obviously. He did like the arcade there though.


I've been back on the floor for six half days and my foot is more painful.  Fuck.  I'm so tired of this and I feel so bad for my manager who struggles to ensure we enough staff.  It will heal but it's taking so long and I'm tired of limping everywhere.

It's been bloody hot and humid here.  The plants are happy, especially my tomatoes.  The wild lupins and the echinacea that I grew from seeds are both doing well.  I also bought an indian paintbrush and planted that, so I have a small wild flower garden going on which I'll probably need to expand next year.  The last couple of years I have planted blanket flowers (so named because it used to blanket the prairies) there and they have self seeded themselves which makes me happy.

We're off to visit Miss Katie shortly.  Have a good day.  

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for those book recommendations - I always download a sample to my kindle to see if I like the author and am always up for recommendations. As for "our" stories, I think the fact that we can leave a blog behind for those who are interested enough to read them is wonderful. Goodness knows I would have LOVED to have more insight into the lives of my grandmothers (I only knew one) and their mothers! I know not everyone feels the same but someone, somewhere further down the line will hopefully be interested - otherwise why would people get into looking up their ancestry? And I'm sorry to hear your foot is still playing you up - damn, that's got to be tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have important stories to tell and I enjoy blogging but I'd like to tell a bigger story one day.

      Delete
  2. That is a gorgeous place and photo. I'm going to look into the books you mentioned, I'm always looking for something new to me.

    When you say you are sleeping in the basement the immediate image I got was my unfinished cinder block old basement! I know that's not your basement.

    I hope your foot heals soon, a sore foot ruins a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our basement is completely finished with a bathroom, a bedroom and my sewing room.

      Delete
    2. I knew it would be. Sandra

      Delete
    3. BTW, I am listening to another book Sarah Winman wrote, Tin Man. Sandra

      Delete
  3. Please keep writing.....always look forward to reading all that you have written on your blog. Yours is definitely one of the interesting ones! And, so glad that Jack has you two in his life....he's lucky to have you. And, are his crocs on the wrong feet in that pic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he insists on wearing his cross on the wrong feet. He's quite adamant about it.

      Delete
  4. So very sorry about the foot. When the feet turn on you, it's just hell. After three surgeries on my two feet, things are not as bad as they were, but they're still not great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please consider writing a book. That exact thought went through my head when I was binge reading your blog. You have a wonderful way with words.
    It's bloody cold here! Not long before we start complaining about the heat here and the cold there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bad habit of starting things and then quitting when it gets hard.

      Delete
  6. That's discouraging about the foot. Constant pain wears on you. That's a very dramatic photo and looks unreal. I would love to visit that area; my parents did and raved about its beauty. Sorry about the weather, ugh. We're having a moderate summer so far which is a relief after last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasper National Park is well worth the visit.
      I'm not a stoic. I suffer out loud.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous picture and what an amazing lake. I hope you can find a way to deal with this foot pain before it gets worse again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my biggest fear right now, is my foot getting worse again.

      Delete
  8. I ordered and have received The Change and thank you for that. Keep writing, lady! Yes, writing is hard work but my goodness- it can absolutely be the most fun and rewarding thing ever.
    I don't like the fact that your foot is hurting. You know that it means you shouldn't be on it as much. But what to do?
    Glad Jack is back with you. I bet he's happy to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack had a good time this past weekend. We went to the spray park twice which he loves. It's free and just a few blocks from our house.
      Let me know what you think of the book.

      Delete
  9. 37paddington:
    I’m sorry the foot is still hurting but while it’s hurting it’s the boss. Rest it as needed. I’m always happier when Jack is with you. I hope he has forgiven Katie and that your visit with her was big fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He still has a hard time with Katie, it will be awhile before he can understand disabilities.

      Delete
  10. I am sorry to hear about your foot. Chronic pain makes everything in life a dozen times more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you wrote this it seems you were in an upbeat mood in spite of the ongoing issues with your foot. I love your picture of Medicine Lake. When you set your mind to it, you have a good eye for a pleasing image.

    ReplyDelete