Saturday, June 4, 2022



I visited my daughter in law this evening to drop of a carseat, clothes and a stroller, all outgrown by Jack.  My daughter in law is also a grandmother now; her grandson is only seven months old and he's already been through hell.  The baby had three broken ribs and a broken collar bone.  He ended up in hosptial for almost three months because he also had covid, complications and four surgeries.  He was also born two months early and spent a month in NICU.  I wrote this poem for him.  His great grandmother now has guardianship of him and is caring for him.  He broke my heart.  




I met a little boy tonight

his daddy broke his ribs 

and mommy didn't tell


I met a little boy tonight 

tired of the hospital cribs

and tired of the hell


I met a little boy tonight

tired from his bath 

I held him tight

and rocked him close

as nanny warmed his milk


I met a little boy tonight

who's been through hell and back

he drank his milk

and closed his eyes

asleep in nanny's arms




15 comments:

  1. Great grandmothers and grandmothers and other relatives and sometimes non-relatives step forward with love and broken hearts in hellish situations. This is what I continue to witness. They do what they can and it is enough. Reading your poem about this little boy who is both hurt deeply and loved deeply, I am not a lone witness. Through your poem, we have all become witnesses to this hell and this love. Sending love always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Protect the unborn? We can't even protect the born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartbreaking. We can’t care for the ones that are here and yet they want to force us to bring every unwanted child into this shitty system that leaves infants in the hands of horrible or damaged people. My heart holds that little guy close and wishes so much better for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would break my heart too. Children deserve so much better. Hope he's getting a lot of love and security from the great-grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just unutterably sad. The poor child has been through so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's powerful. Thank goodness for his grand- and great-grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a sad poem - made worse by being true. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My god. What the fuck? I am so sorry -- I can't imagine how you bear it, yet you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Babies are so precious and fragile. We should treat them with care and love... just as you and The Big Guy have treated Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'And mommy didn't tell.'
    How heartbreaking is that, on top of the violence.
    What a world we live in.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is heartbreaking. That poor, poor child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my God!!! That is so unbelievable. How could you do that to a child?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad this little Boy has been rescued and in a safer place, so many Children are living in a Fresh Hell and nobody knows or sees.

    ReplyDelete