Sunday, November 28, 2021


We had our meeting with the social worker, Gracie and her family, on Thursday.  I felt like Gracie's  sister thought Gracie was doing amazing and all of the good things about Jack were a direct result of Gracie's parenting.  Her sister also said that Gracie is not drinking, based on their daily phone calls.  The mom, Lori, was largely silent.  She still looks beat down by the death of her husband.  

I was quite proud of myself because I told Gracie that I was still angry with her for hurting my grandson, for causing him to go into care in Victoria and for him having to be cared for by strangers for a week.  I said I haven't forgiven you but I'm working on it.  The social worker thanked me for sharing how I felt.  Her family seems to have glossed over the fact that she's probably at least one of the reasons Gracie's father killed himself.  I can't forget that either.

Gracie goes into rehab on Wednesday and it was decided that Jack would spend four days with Gracie, surpervised by her family, at her mom's home.  I don't like this but there is little I can do until we have guardianship.  I had a meltdown at work on Friday morning, couldn't stop crying and then I realized how worried I was about Jack staying with his mom for four days.  I cried hard and then got it together and finished off my day.  I apologized to the patient that I had to pass onto another nurse and the patient was so lovely about it.  Our patients all understand how devastating life can be at times.

I also talked to Lori and shared some of my concerns.  I'm worried about her too because she's been through hell and Gracie has no empathy for her.  Gracie only cares about Gracie.  She said she would be okay with Gracie and Jack for four days and there would be other people there as well.  Gracie is verbally abusive to her mother at times.  Gracie's just a gem really.

So little Jack went off with his grandma and a good friend of her's yesterday.  We told him he would come home in three sleeps and he seemed okay with it.  Before he left we built towers.  He loves building towers with his lego.  

After the meeting on Thursday the big guy and I talked with the social worker by ourselves.  We still have a lot of concerns about Gracie and we shared those with social worker who also has concerns about Gracie.  She is not a young, naive woman.  We told her some of the things that have happened over the past two and a half years.  She told us that once we have guardianship and parenting, things will be much easier and she will go before the judge and advocate for us as well which made me feel better.  I'm trying not to think about December 14th too much, the court date, but it's there somewhere inside my head.  

When Lori picked up Jack she asked us what we were going to do with a weekend off.  Neither of us had a clue.  She suggested a date night and so we did.  We went out for supper to one of your favorite restuarants that we haven't been to in years and sat and relaxed and chatted about Jack and Gracie:)  It was nice.  Between covid and Jack and Gracie, these last two and a half years have been hard.  

I'm still worried about Jack but I know his grandma will keep a close eye on him and after Wednesday we won't have to see Gracie for forty-two days.  I don't know if she'll make it through treatment but either way, she still has to come back into the real world and get it together before she gets Jack back.  

It's a grey day in the neighborhood but it's warm out, above 0C so the dogs will get a long walk later.






12 comments:

  1. Oh the anxiety for that sweet little boy ... I feel it from here. Take care of yourself and let those tears come. "Better out than in," as the saying goes. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so agonizing and scary to have it unsettled and not trust Jack to be around Gracie. Even if there is constant supervision, she is a toxic person. Rehab may help her substance abuse but it won't change her narcissistic personality; those types make lousy parents. Hope Jack gets the stability and care that he needs and deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fingers and toes crossed for December 14, with hopes that the judge does the right thing and gives you custody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a very hard time giving any credence to what an addict says. One thing I know is that they lie. I am jaded for good reason.

    I wish for is a safe, peaceful place for Jack. I wish for peace in your heart too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have my fingers crossed for Dec 14th. The world will be a better place when Jack is safe with you and the big guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is post is so full, so sad, so honest - and yet so complex and personal that it's almost impossible to comment in a meaningful way. These things need working out with time care and love (all of which you are giving) - I sense one comes through rather than 'gets over'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracie's apparent mental illness remains a grave concern in regard to Jack's physical and emotional well-being. I do hope that Gracie can stop drinking on a permanent basis and own up to her abuse of Jack and step back and let you and the Big Guy raise him with the support of his aunt, uncle and his other grandmother. My gut feeling is that Jack should never be left alone with Gracie again. Never. Ever. Good to know that the social worker is advocating for you and the Big Guy as Jack's guardians.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so good to know that the social worker will be advocating for you. I doubt that Gracie is fooling anyone except herself. And Jack will be fine with his other grandma there. And then he will come home to you where he is safe and loved. I wish Gracie well but she has much work to do and I am not at all sure she wants to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely that you and The Big Guy got to have a nice meal together in a nice restaurant. You have really earned that reward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worry for Jack and yourselves. From what I recall, Gracie's parents had set boundaries about babysitting him etc (And now I can see why) so this is probably overwhelming in so many different ways, along with dealing with the loss of your husband. Gracie going to treatment I hope is helpful, but allowing her to see him has made no sense to me. Doesn't seem like she and others understand the ramification of her actions!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is quite a lego tower. A metaphor perhaps for all that you're dealing with right now, and with no real end in sight either. It's sadly unlikely that Gracie will get it together, if my own experience with addicted family members is any guide. I do hope I'm wrong, but then I also hope Jack gets to stay with you. I hope it's ok to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must be very unsettling for Jack too to keep having his living arrangements changed. I'm sure everyone will be happier once you have guardianship! Oh and that tower is a work of art. The big guy excelled himself!

    ReplyDelete